Melrose's Cup pick

ghdi

All these ranger people are ridiculous...they are the Rangers, come on.

I look at them closer, and the Rangers are better than I was giving them credit for, and I was already of the view they were a dangerous team. They're basically weak with the third-pairing D, but otherwise that's it. They have better forward depth than I originally thought.

Bottom line: The Rangers are a very logical Cup favorite.

The Rangers seem to be the trendy pick right now. So be it. I can't say I'm expecting that much from the Devils...I think they'll start slowly, but probably do enough to get into the playoffs.

The Rangers seem to be the trendy pick right now. So be it. I can't say I'm expecting that much from the Devils...I think they'll start slowly, but probably do enough to get into the playoffs.

I would say the Blues are the trendy pick. The Rags are the easy way out. IMO they are the favorites going in, but I wouldnt bet on them.

I look at them closer, and the Rangers are better than I was giving them credit for, and I was already of the view they were a dangerous team. They're basically weak with the third-pairing D, but otherwise that's it. They have better forward depth than I originally thought.

Bottom line: The Rangers are a very logical Cup favorite.

They're really not. Their bottom 6 forwards are weak and their top 6 is still pretty damn weak too. Outside of Hagelin and maybe Nash they don't have any tough minutes forwards. And of course there's the whole 'Lundqvist had an SV% higher than he's ever had'. They're a middle of the pack playoff team.

They're really not. Their bottom 6 forwards are weak and their top 6 is still pretty damn weak too. Outside of Hagelin and maybe Nash they don't have any tough minutes forwards. And of course there's the whole 'Lundqvist had an SV% higher than he's ever had'. They're a middle of the pack playoff team.

What are "tough minutes forwards"?

What are "tough minutes forwards"?

I forgot Callahan - but they are forwards who can either go up against the opponent's best and be + or break even (relative to zone start). The trouble with the Rangers is that they are weak down the center - now Stepan may have improved considerably, but he was legitimately not good last year. Richards has never been good, and Boyle is what he is - they slam him with hard minutes and he gets eaten up.

Edited by Triumph

I forgot Callahan - but they are forwards who can either go up against the opponent's best and be + or break even (relative to zone start). The trouble with the Rangers is that they are weak down the center - now Stepan may have improved considerably, but he was legitimately not good last year. Richards has never been good, and Boyle is what he is - they slam him with hard minutes and he gets eaten up.

I dunno why they were so against trading Stepan but willingly traded Anisimov I thought AA was better. But as long as you're running out Stu Bickel, and Carl Hagelin on the first line, you probably shouldn't be the cup favorite

I don't know about you, but I am SHOCKED that Linda Cohen picked the Rags. Just shocked. :rolleyes: She's about as much of an "expert" as my 21 month old son.

It's like they get the 12 people in all of ESPN that are allowed to even discuss hockey in any form and put their opinions out there to make it seem like they are informed. Generally, Bucci is good with his predictions, but the rest are a joke, none more so than that Don Cherry wann-be clown Melrose. Too bad he wasn't mugged in Newark during the Cup finals last season.

does anyone think edmonton will finally make it to the playoffs?

If they do I'd imagine it'd have to be because their young forwards and Schultz kept tearing it up like they were at OKC and Dubnyk puts up good numbers and Ryan Whitney turns into Ryan Whitney again

I think the Rangers are a bust this year. Anisimov and Dubinsky were two good forwards and Anisimov was an important part of their success last year. Offense was an issue last year for them but given their style of play I don't know why they didn't try to make a splash towards Suter or another solid D man.

The rangers really only have 4 defensemen. But maybe that doesn't matter as much when they got arguably the best goalie in the league. What I think hurt them is that they lacked scoring and depth last year, (our fourth line man handled their first line) so what so they do? They get rid of anisimov, Dubinsky, fedotenko, and priest. All of which played their system to a T. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like they only got 2 scoring lines and 2 defensive pairings