2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Oh for sure, and that's who I really feel bad for. Their fans deserve some success with all the nonsense they've had to endure.. And yet here we are.

Do you think they'll "blow it up"? I usually hate that phrase but.. I'm with you - I just don't know if they'll find any post season success with the current veteran core. Bleh, really sucks to be a Sharks fan right now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The problem is that Doug Wilson resigned both Thornton and Marleau to 3 year contracts through 2017. They did a Parise-Suter type agreement but for a lot lesser term and $$$--I'll resign if he resigns, type of thing with a bit of a hometown discount.  At this point, I'm curious to see if they get rid of Wilson.  I just don't think getting a new coach will change things.

Tomorrow's local sports section of the newspaper should be interesting.

Man, this may sound stupid, but I'll take missing the playoffs periodically over the Sharks' track record any day of the week.

Agree, this is equivalent to our Carolina series... And then the playoff series somehow ending more and more horribly the following years. So sh!tty for their fans.

The problem is that Doug Wilson resigned both Thornton and Marleau to 3 year contracts through 2017. They did a Parise-Suter type agreement but for a lot lesser term and $$$--I'll resign if he resigns, type of thing with a bit of a hometown discount.  At this point, I'm curious to see if they get rid of Wilson.  I just don't think getting a new coach will change things.

Tomorrow's local sports section of the newspaper should be interesting.

Getting rid of Wilson would be insane.  Firing McLellan I also think would be rash but it could happen.  The Kings and Quick just woke up defensively and shut down the Sharks in the last four games.  They were the best defensive team in the league this year for a reason.  The one thing McLellan did that I hated is he plays Pavelski on the 1st line instead of as a third line center and he doesn't trust his 3rd/4th lines at all.  That could have been the difference in the postseason.

In any case Sharks should be back next year contending again.  The core of the team will be back and they may unload some dead weight in Havlat/Burish (Boyle possibly not coming back) to add another dman.  Unless Wilson does something stupid like hire John Tortorella this team will be back.

Getting rid of Wilson would be insane.  Firing McLellan I also think would be rash but it could happen.  The Kings and Quick just woke up defensively and shut down the Sharks in the last four games.  They were the best defensive team in the league this year for a reason.  The one thing McLellan did that I hated is he plays Pavelski on the 1st line instead of as a third line center and he doesn't trust his 3rd/4th lines at all.  That could have been the difference in the postseason.

In any case Sharks should be back next year contending again.  The core of the team will be back and they may unload some dead weight in Havlat/Burish (Boyle possibly not coming back) to add another dman.  Unless Wilson does something stupid like hire John Tortorella this team will be back.

I agree with you that the team will be back in contention, but I just don't see them winning a Cup with that core.  I really hope I'm wrong, I would love to see them in the Cup finals.  I also think if they fire McLellan, he will have a new job in a few days--he's a very good coach.  But someone may have to take the fall for this collapse, I just don't know who that is yet and we may not find out for a while.

Forget winning a Cup with that core- how about MAKING IT to the Finals for once? They've never even made it. This would be the last straw for me if I was a Sharks fan with that core group, that was disgraceful. I don't care if the Kings 'woke up', they had a 3-0 lead- finish it off. Everyone else does.

Forget winning a Cup with that core- how about MAKING IT to the Finals for once? They've never even made it. This would be the last straw for me if I was a Sharks fan with that core group, that was disgraceful. I don't care if the Kings 'woke up', they had a 3-0 lead- finish it off. Everyone else does.

Not to mention that the Marleau-Thornton era has produced exactly ONE game win in two conference finals.  They got swept in one and managed just one win in the other.  Just one series win in the past three seasons.  It's not ALL on them, but it's hard to argue that the Sharks don't need some shaking up. 

If I owned that team, I may have just fired everyone today. I'd probably need people talking me out of it after choking on a 3-0 lead, with nothing but choke-jobs and underachievement in the playoffs preceding it, I'll tell you that much.

I'm more worried after drastic changes that San Jose becomes like Washington or Vancouver today.  Two other great teams that got dismantled because they didn't win in the postseason.  Washington's big change was basically just changing their coach too, which is why I am concerned about even firing McLellan. 

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I'm more worried after drastic changes that San Jose becomes like Washington or Vancouver today.  Two other great teams that got dismantled because they didn't win in the postseason.  Washington's big change was basically just changing their coach too, which is why I am concerned about even firing McLellan. 

A lot of people keep saying that but neither team was dismantled. The core is there of both teams. Vancouver didn't blow anything up. They bungled a goalie situation badly, but that wasn't a drastic move that blew up. They were still missing the playoffs with Luongo this season. The Capitals...same thing. Just a lot of poor moves from McPhee, but no drastic shake up of the core.

Man, this may sound stupid, but I'll take missing the playoffs periodically over the Sharks' track record any day of the week.

If the Devils collapsed after being up 3-0 on a rival, I'd probably need like.. A month to recover emotionally :lol:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

yea thats pretty drastic and bad but god not being in the playoffs again just blows having to watch everyone else if you want to watch hockey... knowing your team could be playing and they arent is just a bad feeling, especially two years in a row now.

A lot of people keep saying that but neither team was dismantled. The core is there of both teams. Vancouver didn't blow anything up. They bungled a goalie situation badly, but that wasn't a drastic move that blew up. They were still missing the playoffs with Luongo this season. The Capitals...same thing. Just a lot of poor moves from McPhee, but no drastic shake up of the core.

If anything Vancouver waited too long, now they're stuck with old, declining players for the next few seasons in addition to the coaching mess and detonating a nuclear bomb on the goaltending situation.  Washington probably would have been better off trying to change a few players instead of constantly trying to change the system and try to pigenhole players who don't fit into it.  The Sharks I actually think have 'tried' to transition on the fly from Thornton-Marleau leading them to Couture-Pavelski but it just hasn't worked there.  Maybe they need an Esa Tikkannen, Claude Lemieux-type of player, an outsider or two who can teach all these guys how to win.

He didn't exactly distinguish himself with the way he yo-yoed the goalies around in panic.  They couldn't wait to find an excuse so sit Niemi, so boom he has a bad period plus in Game 5 and he's gone.  They go to Stalock in Game 6, fine.  Stalock wasn't even that bad but they pulled the plug on HIM after one loss and went back to Niemi.  Yo-yoing goalies doesn't work when you do it that frequently.

He didn't exactly distinguish himself with the way he yo-yoed the goalies around in panic.  They couldn't wait to find an excuse so sit Niemi, so boom he has a bad period plus in Game 5 and he's gone.  They go to Stalock in Game 6, fine.  Stalock wasn't even that bad but they pulled the plug on HIM after one loss and went back to Niemi.  Yo-yoing goalies doesn't work when you do it that frequently.

Stalock's played like 30% of the games this year, in particular playing after Niemi's had a bad game.  They have comparable stats.  Niemi stunk in games 4 and 5.  He deserved to sit in game 6 and he also deserved to start game 7 imo.  

Stalock's played like 30% of the games this year, in particular playing after Niemi's had a bad game. They have comparable stats. Niemi stunk in games 4 and 5. He deserved to sit in game 6 and he also deserved to start game 7 imo.

But he was top three in the league in wins!!!