Rumor: Clarkson's contract being bought out per Stan Fischler

grcenter47

Clarkson only makes $1mm per year which scales up to $2mm for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, then back to $1mm...  the rest is in guaranteed bonuses for some bit of cap relief, but yea, he has a rock solid contract that almost was written with the assumption on his side that the Leafs would buy him out.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2014/3/10/5492384/david-clarksons-contract-is-maybe-probably-buyout-proof

clarkson.png

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/12/13/5208704/david-clarkson-buyout-chart
clarksonbuyout.png

Edited by aylbert

Fischler says there is talk about it, nothing decided. I doubt it happens this soon. Pension Plan Puppets has a pretty solid post examining his contract and how a buyout wouldn't really help the Leafs this summer, or that much at all down the road.

It would appear that the Leafs, in their infinite wisdom, managed to give David Clarkson what is perhaps the NHL's first buyout-proof contract.  Including the $4.5m he is earning this season, a buyout this June would net Clarkson something like $34m; or roughly 93% of the total value of the contract. A buyout would save the Leafs almost nothing ($2.6m or so).

Photo:  Stan Fischler discusses potential Clarkson buyout with his sources Monday evening.

Fischler's story starts in nineteen-dickety-two. He had to use the word "dickety" because the Kaiser had stolen his word "twenty"....

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 4

I'm sure it's been talked about because of just how terrible at hockey he really is but Nonis doing so would likely invite an immediate firing. They have to give him at least another year or probably two in Toronto.

And no we don't want him or Kovalchuk coming back. Ever.

Clarkson seemed to thrive in the Devils environment, Kovy would be our best offensive player, so yeah, I'd take em both back.

No to Clarkson...nothing against him really, just fed up with ex-Devils getting (usually disappointing) second tours of duty.  Clarkson had his time here...just feels like it's over.  And I can't say he really "thrived"...his play frustrated a lot of people quite often, and he got his fair share of criticism.  Wasn't like it was all good with him.

If Kovy was the Kovy of old, I wouldn't be entirely dead-set against it, but he isn't.  In the KHL regular season and playoffs combined, he's put 19 goals and 25 assists in 53 GP...not really great.  Shooting% is not great either (9.3), and it's against lesser goaltending to boot.  And I'll always feel that part of the reason he left was that he knew he was on the decline and wasn't going to live up to his deal in the years to come, and had a chance to still earn a lot of coin while playing in a LOT less games.   

But if he were to come back to the NHL after a season or two in the K, then I'm sorry, he's a phony, after talking about being homesick.  And if the Devils took him back, what if he struggled for 20 games or so, to the tune of 3 goals and 3 assists or something like that, found the NHL to be too much for him, and said "Screw it, I gave it a shot, but I'm going back to Russia."  I don't know how the Devils can trust him.  And like I said, I'd need to be 100% sure that he can even be the old Kovy (who had plenty of warts in his game even after he was properly coached) before I'd even entertain the thought of bringing him back.      

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Used to like Stan Fischler's news and notes back in the day. I used to tape most games. If we had a really good win, I'd save it. Going back months/years later and re-watching the games, his predictions rarely if ever panned out, unless it was something everyone knew already.  That said, I like Stan, and if he makes stuff up, well then it's no different than Brooks or (N)Єverson did.

I can't stand Stan, never did. It's hard to watch his interviews if you're squeamish. He's creepy and weird to the players and sh!t gets so awkward with the questions he asks. He bothers me. Though, I don't deny his long history in the sport and extensive knowledge of the game.

Edited by Neb00rs

I remember two awkward Stan-Devil interviews in particular.  One was with Bernie Nicholls...Nicholls had scored a goal on a two on one where he didn't pass it to the other Devil.  Stan asked him if he thought he should've passed it, to which Nicholls said "No" in a way that implied "STFU old man, I just friggin' scored a big goal."  Stan actually decided to ask him AGAIN, and it was obvious that Bernie thought Stan was out of his mind to ask him that.   

The other one I recall was with Neal Broten, sometime during '95...I think Stan implied that Broten's offensive resurgence had come as a major surprise, and basically said (in more diplomatic language) that Broten had appeared washed-up with the Stars just before he became a Devil.  Broten clearly didn't like how Stan had put it, and let him know that it was the way he had been used with the Stars that had led to his poor offensive numbers, not his age or anything related to it. 

And my father-in-law's brother looks almost EXACLTY like Stan Fischler...right down to every last tendril of his beard.  Even his hairline has receded in the same manner...everyone who was a hockey fan at my wedding noticed the frighteningly close resemblence and had a great time with it...a lot of "Happy for you guys that you're getting married and all, but I'm gonna go have a drink with the Maven" and similar cracks.