Zidlicky close to re-signing?

sundstrom

https://www.facebook.com/njdevilsblog?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

MAREK ŽIDLICKÝ is close to sign a new contract
with Devils. Josef Paleček, assistant coach of czech national team,
said it after phone call with him.
But still just a rumor, not official update on him or anyone.

not entirely surprising. it wouldn't surprise me if lou was talking to all UFAs including elias and clarkson but i'd assume those two will not sign before UFA.

"Resigning" means quitting your job. "Re-signing" means signing on for more.

I don't at all want to be the Language Police, but these two words mean completely opposite things. The fact that the wrong word is used in the thread title makes it kind of startling to read.

I am clearly not a Zid fan, I hope it is not true, for every good thing he does, there are 3 mistakes he makes. 

Of course if he is willing to take less then $2Mill per year, I guess I could live withhim for 2 more year, but no longer...

"Resigning" means quitting your job. "Re-signing" means signing on for more.

I don't at all want to be the Language Police, but these two words mean completely opposite things. The fact that the wrong word is used in the thread title makes it kind of startling to read.

while i totally understand and get irked when people say "would of" instead of "would have", he really can't "resign" because he's a UFA.

Lou basically saved his career in the NHL, I am sure he is ready to just sign and not bother going to the market.  I think he just wants stability at this point in his career.   I would have to assume that he is also staying because his buddy Patrik is here  and hopefully staying too.

I think he brings a needed element. My only concern is that we already have for sure: Greene, Salvador, Fayne and Larsson for next year, assuming no one goes nuts and amnesties Sal too or Lou trades Fayne instead of Tally, but either way, we are guaranteed to have at least 4 guys from last year, back next year, most likely we'll have like 5-6 back.

So if we re-sign Zid, my guess, is Harrold is gone and we DEFINITELY are buying out Volch. I can't see us carrying 8 defenseman into next year, again. I know Tally or possibly even Fayne might be gone by deadline day, but that's 10 months from now and we have to be slotting the 6 spot in the d corps to one of the young guys going into camp at least. Can't not even give one of them a chance at this point.

Bottom line, imo 2 defenseman must be gone by trade deadline day, is it going to be Tally and Volch? Or Fayne instead of Tally? If we re-sign Zid, Harrold doesn't come back at all and his is the spot we replace with a young guy. Unless the plan is to amnesty Volch and have Tally+Urbom/Merril/Gelinas run a rotation at the 6 spot, but I'm not a fan of that.

I hope it isn't true. They have a logjam of D that for some reason Lou seems to rather not want to move anyone for help up front which is annoying. Sure Zidlicky may have more offensive capabilities than the other D but I fail to see that make up for his extreme defensive shortcomings.

I hope it isn't true. They have a logjam of D that for some reason Lou seems to rather not want to move anyone for help up front which is annoying. Sure Zidlicky may have more offensive capabilities than the other D but I fail to see that make up for his extreme defensive shortcomings.

Agreed. I sure hope they move/amnesty one of Fayne/Tallinder or preferably Sal or Volchie

i'm ok with re-signing zid for 2/7.5. i'm bullish on merril and gelinas as much as the next guy but zidlikcy brings an element that nobody else on the devils possesses.

fiesty - taking the twitter conversation here, the devils d is definitely seeing at least two and very likely 3 departures. i do not expect volchenkov to go anywhere. fayne and tallinder are the most likely guys to be gone and i could see both of them be traded for assets. harrold staying is a toss up.

greene-larsson

savador-zidlicky

volchenkov-merrill

i think this is how it will end up but I could see one of fayne/tallinder get to camp just to make sure merrill or gelinas is the real deal and then one gets dealt.

Agreed. I sure hope they move/amnesty one of Fayne/Tallinder or preferably Sal or Volchie

I'd like to see Volchenkov amnestied but I'd be shocked if it happens. I'd be open to trading Fayne or Tallinder but I could see Lou going into the season with 8 D again.

i'm ok with re-signing zid for 2/7.5. i'm bullish on merril and gelinas as much as the next guy but zidlikcy brings an element that nobody else on the devils possesses.

fiesty - taking the twitter conversation here, the devils d is definitely seeing at least two and very likely 3 departures. i do not expect volchenkov to go anywhere. fayne and tallinder are the most likely guys to be gone and i could see both of them be traded for assets. harrold staying is a toss up.

greene-larsson

savador-zidlicky

volchenkov-merrill

i think this is how it will end up but I could see one of fayne/tallinder get to camp just to make sure merrill or gelinas is the real deal and then one gets dealt.

Assuming guys like Fayne, Larsson, and Tallinder are still here - I really worry about them losing minutes to inferior D like Salvador, Volchenkov, and Zidlicky. I am a huge fan of Tallinder and Fayne but I'm open to trading them, though Fayne seems like the only one who'd be able to get them a solid forward back. Tallinder deserves to play so I hope for his sake the Devils trade him and maybe pick up something on draft day. I like Harrold as the 7th guy but obviously there would have to be moves made to retain him for that role.

Overall, I'm just going to be annoyed if they walk into the season with 8 D again...I don't mind Merrill spending the majority if not all of his first pro year in Albany to get used to the game. Gelinas missed some time with an injury this year so I'm sure more AHL time could do him well. Urbom is still young but I'd love to see him get an extended run at the NHL level to gauge his progress.

Curious as to what posters here think Fayne and Tallinder could each bring back in a trade...

Like a Zidlicky re-signing for the reasons above and he's friends with Elias.  That never hurts.  I think, given the progress that Gelinas and Merrill have shown, NJ could use Volchenkov as a 7th D while letting go of Peter Harrold - I like Harrold, but this team should have enough D depth to weather several injuries and there'll be a full training camp this year.

I don't really understand the source of this rumor, though.

Zid is a good pmd, something everyone is looking for. I hope this comes to fruition. I'll bet

Canes wished they had Talinder or Vochie this past year. We need to carry atleast 7 D cause

folks get banged up. Also I'm sure Lou will pick up at least one D man in upcoming draft,

if not at our first overall. (if available) Nurse/ Pulock.

im glad to find out that a good amount on this board like Zids as much as I do.. I know he's a little pricey but i really think he's worth it.  

Great shot, good puck handling, nice on the PP.

His downsize may be that he is a little less responsible on D but I feel like its nice to sacrifice that for some offensive power when the rest of the Devils D basically have that covered

I suppose I'm in the minority...

I'm just not convinced that Zidlicky's offense contributes enough to outweigh his defense. If this team is going to be suiting up the likes of Salvador and Volchenkov, they can't just throw Zidlicky out their on the blue line and pretend everything is fine. Especially when this comes at the expense of solid two way defensemen like Tallinder, Larsson, and Fayne - whom I think all of them are capable of moving the puck just as well towards the attack zone as Zidlicky and better overall.

Sure Zidlicky can score better than any of the Devils D but I'd rather see Lou address the scoring issue by getting better forwards and using solid D men than standing pat with the forwards he has (or bringing in more 3rd liners for top 6 roles) and sacrificing defense for offense on the blue line with Zidlicky.

I feel that bringing Zidlicky back just waste money that should go towards forward help and continues with the logjam and taking away of minutes of D that can actually play defense. If Lou does bring Zidlicky back - there better be a trade or two moving some defenders out.

• Like 1

I suppose I'm in the minority...

I'm just not convinced that Zidlicky's offense contributes enough to outweigh his defense. If this team is going to be suiting up the likes of Salvador and Volchenkov, they can't just throw Zidlicky out their on the blue line and pretend everything is fine. Especially when this comes at the expense of solid two way defensemen like Tallinder, Larsson, and Fayne - whom I think all of them are capable of moving the puck just as well towards the attack zone as Zidlicky and better overall.

Sure Zidlicky can score better than any of the Devils D but I'd rather see Lou address the scoring issue by getting better forwards and using solid D men than standing pat with the forwards he has (or bringing in more 3rd liners for top 6 roles) and sacrificing defense for offense on the blue line with Zidlicky.

I feel that bringing Zidlicky back just waste money that should go towards forward help and continues with the logjam and taking away of minutes of D that can actually play defense. If Lou does bring Zidlicky back - there better be a trade or two moving some defenders out.

Agree. Not crazy about him potentially being re-signed.