NJDevs Fantasy Football 2013 Smack Talk

NJDevs4978

Agreed; so if passing is becoming too 'easy'... I wouldn't be opposed to scaling back QBs and WRs yardage (while maintaining TD's at 6)... to like 1 per 50, with bonuses at 400yd (QB) / 150 yd (WR).

Obviously I'm not talking about this season.

I'm in favor of some bonus tweaking next season.....even if the passing bouns was 350 I'm cool with that

That Vereen inury is a huge bummer. Was looking to have an excellent 1-2 punch, and now I am in huge trouble at the RB position. 

This league more then any other all the average running backs even disappeared FAST in the draft....made it hard to properly stock pile them without hoping on injuries....

I'm in favor of some bonus tweaking next season.....even if the passing bouns was 350 I'm cool with that

This league more then any other all the average running backs even disappeared FAST in the draft....made it hard to properly stock pile them without hoping on injuries....

Might be radical but maybe if you took RB out of the Flex and just made it a WR/TE Flex then the RB drafting would be more 'normalized' since you'd only be able to use two starters instead of three.  It's become more of a passing league anyway, might as well be reflected in the number of starters for each position.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Might be radical but maybe if you took RB out of the Flex and just made it a WR/TE Flex then the RB drafting might be more 'normalized' since you'd only be able to use two starters instead of three.  It's become more of a passing league anyway, might as well be reflected in the number of starters for each position.

But RB's are becoming more and more involved in the passing game.   I'd rather address passing stat treatments, than position; since that's what's driving scoring inflation.    

But RB's are becoming more and more involved in the passing game.   I'd rather address passing stat treatments, than position; since that's what's driving scoring inflation.    

I was referring more to the part of CRASHER's post about mediocre backs dissapearing in round 4 and 5, which is true and kinda silly.  You have 32 teams but you're not going to have 32 running backs.  So everyone drafts their two starters in the first three rounds generally and then reach for the platoon guys and top backups insanely early because they want a Flex option at RB.

Scoring itself is a seperate debate...I was in favor of ticking passing yardage up to 30 for a point (as opposed to 25) but even that got outvoted so I doubt you'd be able to get something more radical done.  You could always bump passing TD's from 6 down to 4 like in standard leagues but I hate having a TD count for less than six points just because of that.  I don't know what else you can do to reduce QB totals.  I don't know if RB/WR totals are really that high to care.  You don't neccesarily have to have yardage bonuses at all though.

I was referring more to the part of CRASHER's post about mediocre backs dissapearing in round 4 and 5, which is true and kinda silly.  You have 32 teams but you're not going to have 32 running backs.  So everyone drafts their two starters in the first three rounds generally and then reach for the platoon guys and top backups insanely early because they want a Flex option at RB.

Scoring itself is a seperate debate...I was in favor of ticking passing yardage up to 30 for a point (as opposed to 25) but even that got outvoted so I doubt you'd be able to get something more radical done.  You could always bump passing TD's from 6 down to 4 like in standard leagues but I hate having a TD count for less than six points just because of that.  I don't know what else you can do to reduce QB totals.  I don't know if RB/WR totals are really that high to care.  You don't neccesarily have to have yardage bonuses at all though.

That was Crasher's complaint...  with WR's routinely scoring 20+ now; where that used to be a career day.

If RBs are less valuable than WRs though in performance; then no one should be starting RB's in flex.     But instead, there a finite amount of RBs that do really well; with a steep drop off; it's what makes RBs in high demand.    Ten years ago, the unquestioned draft strategy was RB/RB 1/2.   Now, it's considered a bit outdated, and you see top WR's and even TE's getting in the mix...  

QB's always crept in there, and always will.    I'm a firm believer that if you want a particular QB, you need to go early... or else someone else will.    It's not the best value add, but will get you the desired QB...  this is especially true if you're in the tails and can't respond to runs on positions.

On a competition level, inflation is inflation is inflation.    For historical perspective though, I do prefer keeping the standard win at around 100pts.   In which case I really would like to see bonuses and yardage dropped a bit...  as we are looking at ~115 as the mark you want to hit to feel like you should expect to win.... not guaranteed, but expect to win.  Hell, I scored 132 points, and came in 4th this past week.     But if matches are 130 vs 110   or  100 vs 80; does it really matter inside a season?  No.   Just give me my historical perspective back :)

Routinely's a bit strong, you had six WR's score 20+ in Week 1.  A.J.Green, Demariyus Thomas, Cruz, Boldin and Fitzgerald were five of them (Hankerson in garbagetime was the other)...at least you're generally talking elite receivers doing it.  I don't see why elite performances shouldn't be acknowledged, it's not like they're outscoring QB's.  The top WR - Megatron - averaged just a hair above 14 PPG last year and only five guys averaged north of 12 PPG.

You could penalize WR's for drops if the scoring allows for it, it could be a point or two difference most weeks.  And like I said just take away the yardage bonuses if you're that concerned about overall point total...what players get should be what they get, no more no less.  RB's get penalized I believe two points for fumbles lost, you could also penalize a point for just a fumble (one that still gets recovered) to tick that total downward and do away with the yardage bonuses there too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And not for nothing but there's no reason waiver order needs to be totally randomized either, it should start at inverse order of where you draft in the first round (meaning last pick in the first round is first on the waiver claim and vice-versa).  I wouldn't have gotten Jones anyway in all likelihood, but there's no reason red should have been much higher on the waiver list than me either since we both drafted near the top of the first round.

Edited by NJDevs4978

RBs are definitely on the downswing, imo at least. You take away Bushs massive game last week and ive gotten a combined 10 pts form 3 Rbs over 2 weeks and im still 2-0 and am relatively high scoring.

I kind of regret dropping James Jones, but I saw a starting RB get dropped and I panicked especially with how terrible mine have been (and now Bush is hurt to boot :I ). I have depth at WR at least.

RBs are definitely on the downswing, imo at least. You take away Bushs massive game last week and ive gotten a combined 10 pts form 3 Rbs over 2 weeks and im still 2-0 and am relatively high scoring.

Yeah I'm feeling a little bit better about waiting on my third back right now (still early though), especially since Hillman and Ball are doing a GREAT job of getting Moreno the starting role lol. Even Lawfirm is still a starter though I don't expect that to last.

Not sure I would make any changes to scoring, everyone knows the point system, just draft to that, instead of chacnging the scoring to how other draft.....

I agree with that...   I just meant from a historic perspective; I liked seeing 100pts as a benchmark of a good week...     It ultimately doesn't matter.

I agree with that...   I just meant from a historic perspective; I liked seeing 100pts as a benchmark of a good week...     It ultimately doesn't matter.

Well it IS like the real NFL now.... 400 is the new 300 yard game....100 catches is almost a WR standard, you expect 2 TDs a week from the QB

....it would be nice to a play against a QB that "only" scores 30 points a week though.....

maybe I'll keep playing El-I-N-T just to bone the Giants....any Giant fans wanna try to save their season and trade me for Eli??? :evil:

Well it IS like the real NFL now.... 400 is the new 300 yard game....100 catches is almost a WR standard, you expect 2 TDs a week from the QB

....it would be nice to a play against a QB that "only" scores 30 points a week though.....

maybe I'll keep playing El-I-N-T just to bone the Giants....any Giant fans wanna try to save their season and trade me for Eli??? :evil:

Too bad you didn't get me and my 3 pt QB performance...luckily I got a favorable matchup or I might have been in trouble.

My RBs need to step it up (all three are busts so far; DMartin, TRichardson (but he looked good), RMathews)...      
I need a monster day from Manning/Decker and have Manning throw to no one else for yardage/scores... Ha!

I'm down 35; with Manning and Decker (35pts) vs JThomas and Moreno (19pts)....      so really I need Manning/Decker to really out perform.

Next week, hopefully I get Gronk and can just dump Celek.  He got me a random TD in week 1, but hasn't done anything since (neither have the birds).

In my cash league, I'm up 35pts (strangely), with Run DMC (14pts)   vs  Welker/DThomas (30pts).   My team has steamrolled the past three weeks...  but riding on injury prone players. (Matt Ryan |Jackson-JJones| Rice-DMurray-RunDMC| Finley

Glad i chose the bears as my 2nd "D", have not even used SF yet...

once bye weeks start I'm in big trouble, no back RBs, no back up TE and my wrs only play well when they are benched!!

You picking the Bears probably annoyed me as much as any fantasy pick ever, mostly cause I assumed you weren't going D after OCD'ing on the Niners three rounds earlier and still needing RB's.

I figured there was a risk letting them go another pick cause Masked didn't have a D but I wanted/needed Moreno and took what I thought was a 50/50 gamble on the Bears getting back to me. If Masked had taken them I would have shrugged and moved on, the fact you were the one to take them set me off lol.

For the most part my draft's worked out okay so far in spite of being ninjaed multiple times, but of course my high receiver picks never work out. It always seems to be my third WR that winds up being the best (Wayne last year, D-Jax this year).

Edited by NJDevs4978

No one has depth really, but that's the beauty of a league like this where you can find legit production somewhere on the waiver wire in most cases if you get hosed.

My team could be the biggest fraud 3-0 team I've ever been a part of.  Jordan Cameron's offensive explosion carried my guys through this week.  Colin Kaep needs to turn it around STAT~!

You picking the Bears probably annoyed me as much as any fantasy pick ever, mostly cause I assumed you weren't going D after OCD'ing on the Niners three rounds earlier and still needing RB's.

I figured there was a risk letting them go another pick cause Masked didn't have a D but I wanted/needed Moreno and took what I thought was a 50/50 gamble on the Bears getting back to me. If Masked had taken them I would have shrugged and moved on, the fact you were the one to take them set me off lol.

For the most part my draft's worked out okay so far in spite of being ninjaed multiple times, but of course my high receiver picks never work out. It always seems to be my third WR that winds up being the best (Wayne last year, D-Jax this year).

I remember.... 

Honestly I'm shocked about SF, thought they would be dominant this year, and chic was going to be more down to earth, Def., but Chic has picked up right where they left off last year.  And While I love Wilson/Lynch it seems 1 kills and the other is ordinary, which I guess if I get 34 pts between them it should not matter where they come from....

My RBs need to step it up (all three are busts so far; DMartin, TRichardson (but he looked good), RMathews)...      

I need a monster day from Manning/Decker and have Manning throw to no one else for yardage/scores... Ha!

I'm down 35; with Manning and Decker (35pts) vs JThomas and Moreno (19pts)....      so really I need Manning/Decker to really out perform.

Not even five minutes into the game and my lead's already cut in half :P

This game's gonna make me real nervous, that's part of the reason why I started Thomas over Gates, was hoping to cut into 'some' of Peyton's inevitable passing production against the Raiders.  

Of course I'm losing now.  Of course it's by one point.  Thanks again for your big stinkbomb, Hakeem Nicks :rolleyes:

Got to love fantasy. Sure you are posting this on a message board, but thousands of people are probably bugging him on twitter about his "stinkbomb." And of course by stinkbomb we are talking about a team that got totally dominated and Eli didn't have any time to throw a pass. Nicks gets 1 target all game. 

It's usually a never receiver's fault for having a bad game anyway. I just hate what it has become for the players. Your team loses it and you hear it from your own fans. Now you hear it from every team's fans after a bad game. 

Thought it was funny what DeAngelo williams tweeted and retweeted today:

1. Did all the greedy fantasy owners remember to say "THANK YOU" this morning??? #onlyhearyouwhenyouremad

Retweeted by DeAngelo Williams
    Expand
  2. Mad I had no TDs though right? Lol RT @The_Other_JPP13: @DeAngeloRB I see it now! And thanks for the 120 yesterday, I started u in Fantasy!

Fantasy owners have been all over him for how his former OC Rob Chudzinski used him or didn't use him the past two years. Made for a funny tweet after Richardson got dealt.

@ECU2k6: @JayGlazer didn't fit with Chud's offense aka HE IS A RUNNING BACK. Somewhere @deangeloRB is shaking his head” yes I am

Edited by devilsrule33