Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

listen to how loud they were yelling SUCKS during the player intro at game 1 SCF at CAA (around 2:20)

Ok but we aren't talking about that.  We are talking about the goal song.  None of the goals scored in that series had "you suck" when R&R part 2 was played.

Same thing as above, circa 2000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNy0NITTxcI

Most maddening:  Gary Thorne saying "Welcome to New York."  NEW YORK?!

It wasn't even close to that.  All it takes is a few thousand people to do anything in unison for it to be really noticeable. 

To say my peace, I've been going to games longer than 99 percent of the people that did the You Suck chant.  I can guarantee all of you, it only became a "tradition" when you decided to make it one.  The proof of this is available for all to see on any youtube clip of any home game going back to 2006.  The you suck types stubbornly refuse to acknowledge this.

It didn't offend me, I wasn't concerned about the delicate sensibilities of the children, and I didn't complain to management.  It was just stupid, immature, and for the most part, out of place.

It's too bad, because RR2 itself was an actual tradition, and a good one at that.  The you suck people did not stop me from going to games, but it certainly made the high points of the game less enjoyable.   

Hopefully, going forward, the people that are still butt hurt over the song can live with it, the same as the rest of us who put up with the you suck chant did for several years. 

Agree 100%

Agree 100%

This is way unrealistic on my part, I know this, but there's a part of me that wishes that the Devils had given the fans a second chance at keeping the song around...something on their website along the lines of, "If you want R&R Part 2 to remain as your goal song, we'll keep it...provided the 'you suck' chants stop immediately."  I think enough people actually enjoy the song enough that you would've seen a reduction of "you suck"s.  But of course, you would've had plenty of "fvck that, now I'm gonna say it even LOUDER" types as well, so it would've backfired anyway.  Would've been interesting to have seen what would've been more important to the majority...keeping R&R Part 2, or yelling "you suck".

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This is way unrealistic on my part, I know this, but there's a part of me that wishes that the Devils had given the fans a second chance at keeping the song around...something on their website along the lines of, "If you want R&R Part 2 to remain as your goal song, we'll keep it...provided the 'you suck' chants stop immediately."  I think enough people actually enjoy the song enough that you would've seen a reduction of "you suck"s.  But of course, you would've had plenty of "fvck that, now I'm gonna say it even LOUDER" types as well, so it would've backfired anyway.  Would've been interesting to have seen what would've been more important to the majority...keeping R&R Part 2, or yelling "you suck".

10-15 years ago, I think the plan you presented here might have actually worked.

However given how a lot of Devils fans are these days plus how people in general are these days, I give it a .01% chance of succeeding.

Totally unrelated to the goal song but still awesome. 

The video brings up another good point: player introductions.

I am in the camp where I do not like the "you suck" chant, but for reasons other than it being a dirty word.  However it seems management is kinda indicating to people the reason they got rid of it was because they feel like it offends some people and they got feedback from it.

Well if that was the case, then they are being hypocrites.  The reason I say that is during every game when Kevin Clark does the visiting team's starting lineups, he PAUSES after every name to give the crowd time to yell "sucks!"  This is basically the Devils endorsing the use of the word during the lineups, but then having a problem with the word during the goal song.

I was at the Barclays Center game this year and when the announcer read off the Devils starting lineup, he read through them so fast that most people in the arena could not get the chance to say "sucks!" after each name.

10-15 years ago, I think the plan you presented here might have actually worked.

However given how a lot of Devils fans are these days plus how people in general are these days, I give it a .01% chance of succeeding.

I'm inclined to agree with this.  It would never work.  Can you imagine the fan trying to abide by this rule and the fan next to him chanting it.  I mean what are you gonna do nudge the guy and say "Hey man! Can you stop that? You're gonna ruin it for all of us!"

Totally unrelated to the goal song but still awesome. 

I recall during the '94-95 playoffs the responses to the visiting team player intros was even more profane:  instead of "sucks" it was "sucks d**ck".  Not my cup of tea, but it's completely different that the incorporating it into the goal song.

I am in the camp where I do not like the "you suck" chant, but for reasons other than it being a dirty word. However it seems management is kinda indicating to people the reason they got rid of it was because they feel like it offends some people and they got feedback from it.

Well if that was the case, then they are being hypocrites. The reason I say that is during every game when Kevin Clark does the visiting team's starting lineups, he PAUSES after every name to give the crowd time to yell "sucks!" This is basically the Devils endorsing the use of the word during the lineups, but then having a problem with the word during the goal song.

I was at the Barclays Center game this year and when the announcer read off the Devils starting lineup, he read through them so fast that most people in the arena could not get the chance to say "sucks!" after each name.

This may have to do with one coming across on tv and the other not. Or it could just be how they are announced. They may ask him to announce it faster if it really bothers them.

I'm inclined to agree with this.  It would never work.  Can you imagine the fan trying to abide by this rule and the fan next to him chanting it.  I mean what are you gonna do nudge the guy and say "Hey man! Can you stop that? You're gonna ruin it for all of us!"

Trust me, I didn't think it would work...I do think some fans would have actually knocked it off, chosen one "tradition" over another, but like I said, I think plenty more would've taken it as an affront and a challenge, and acted accordingly.   

This may have to do with one coming across on tv and the other not. Or it could just be how they are announced. They may ask him to announce it faster if it really bothers them.

That might be a reason.

Also I really think now that by the end of the season they will have Kevin Clark read the names faster.

Meh, the 'sucks' chant is standard in NHL arenas.  Can't see it going anywhere.

By management's own thinking, that doesn't make it right.  The "you suck" chant is in multiple NHL venues as well, and they are getting rid of that.  The team is being hypersensitive on this one part, but it turns out that they are hypocrits as they turn a blind eye to the "suck" chant during player introductions.  Can definitely see them having Kevin Clark speed through introductions like the MicroMachines Man or getting rid of the opposition introductions all together once the PC police turn their attention to this other "tradition."  

By management's own thinking, that doesn't make it right.  The "you suck" chant is in multiple NHL venues as well, and they are getting rid of that.  The team is being hypersensitive on this one part, but it turns out that they are hypocrits as they turn a blind eye to the "suck" chant during player introductions.  Can definitely see them having Kevin Clark speed through introductions like the MicroMachines Man or getting rid of the opposition introductions all together once the PC police turn their attention to this other "tradition."  

It's in *one* venue now, Nashville, and it's got like a whole song that goes along with it - the Islanders got rid of R&R Part 2 and while their fans are still upset about it (it seems) they have moved on. 

No way in the world are the complaints 50/50. I don't buy that for a second.

As for whether asking the fans would have worked. Well, I think had they asked prior to the season starting, then tested to see if people would stop saying, "you suck" during R&R pt 2 during the pre-season, it would have been better. That way everyone would have known that a change could occur, but that if they stopped the chant, would not occur. Then it's the fan's problem come the home opener.

That ship has sailed though.

Edited by ATLL765

It wasn't even close to that.  All it takes is a few thousand people to do anything in unison for it to be really noticeable. 

To say my peace, I've been going to games longer than 99 percent of the people that did the You Suck chant.  I can guarantee all of you, it only became a "tradition" when you decided to make it one.  The proof of this is available for all to see on any youtube clip of any home game going back to 2006.  The you suck types stubbornly refuse to acknowledge this.

It didn't offend me, I wasn't concerned about the delicate sensibilities of the children, and I didn't complain to management.  It was just stupid, immature, and for the most part, out of place.

It's too bad, because RR2 itself was an actual tradition, and a good one at that.  The you suck people did not stop me from going to games, but it certainly made the high points of the game less enjoyable.   

Hopefully, going forward, the people that are still butt hurt over the song can live with it, the same as the rest of us who put up with the you suck chant did for several years. 

Perfectly said.

Ok but we aren't talking about that.  We are talking about the goal song.  None of the goals scored in that series had "you suck" when R&R part 2 was played.

This as well.  This "tradition" isn't even that old.

I am in the camp where I do not like the "you suck" chant, but for reasons other than it being a dirty word.  However it seems management is kinda indicating to people the reason they got rid of it was because they feel like it offends some people and they got feedback from it.

Well if that was the case, then they are being hypocrites.  The reason I say that is during every game when Kevin Clark does the visiting team's starting lineups, he PAUSES after every name to give the crowd time to yell "sucks!"  This is basically the Devils endorsing the use of the word during the lineups, but then having a problem with the word during the goal song.

It's actually kind of funny.  Because other teams' fans will actually do it when our scratches are announced.  So Kevin Clark gives the visiting fanbase a fair crack as well.  It's all just in good fun though regarding player introductions "sucks" chants.

I actually enjoy yelling "sucks" during visiting team intros.  But if they did this, I wouldn't be upset over it.

It's in *one* venue now, Nashville, and it's got like a whole song that goes along with it - the Islanders got rid of R&R Part 2 and while their fans are still upset about it (it seems) they have moved on. 

Nashville plays "I like it I love it" sung by Tim McGraw.  That is their true goal song.  Rock and Roll part 2 comes after.  You can't hear it on tv like you can our "you suck" chant.  That does make a difference imo.

not really true, i do go to alot of islander games bc of how close they are to my house and chant to the beat of the song.  they still do the rangers suck song every game which everyone chants in (a great part of the game for the fans)

Not sure if it was mentioned in another post, but I just got off the phone with my devils fan experience rep and she said that at the next home games they are going to try out 3 different songs and have the fans vote on it via social media. She said that as many people that have complained about the goal song change there were just as many softies who were complaining about the “you suck” in the goal song. She said that it is definitely changing and not going to be rock and roll part 2 in the near future. It was the new president’s idea.

from a tg article

-http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/larsson_carter_to_sit_to_make_room_for_fayne_olesz_in_devils_lineup_tonight/#sthash.fGQedUPU.dpuf   3rd comment

sorry if this was already posted