If Zach Parise doesn't score next game....

Neb00rs

Let's not freak out. We only scored two goals in those three games. Everyone's to blame and you don't walk away from re-signing one of your biggest stars because he had bad finals (not over yet) after leading the team there.

keep in mind that Zach is like second highest in playoff points on the team this season. In addition, he's the second Captain in team history to lead the Devils to the SCF.

Lead is a tough word. I'm not sure Zach was the make or break of our team, even though the players said so. I like Zach Parise a lot. I just don't think he is worth the huge contract he is going to get. If he had a big SCF that might have changed my mind but instead he has failed completely. There are 2 parts to me wanting Zach on this team: his skill as a player and how good of a Devils captain he is. His skill has gone down and he didn't show up in the SCF and wasn't so great in the ECF. As for his "playoff points" - being on a finals team helps you move up by virtue of TOI and elimination of competition and so do empty net goals.

Let's not freak out. We only scored two goals in those three games. Everyone's to blame and you don't walk away from re-signing one of your biggest stars because he had bad finals (not over yet) after leading the team there.

As you can see from my above post, I'm not freaking out at all. been thinking about this for awhile.

Edited by ben00rs

Oh please! Seems there were other players, making big bucks, that haven't shown up. Shall we trade them because they aren't worth the money since they didn't do what you think they should have to win a series? A series that isn't over yet?

Yes, let's get rid of Elias, Kovy, and Brodeur, and any other veteran player who hasn't led. Those A's on the sweaters mean something. Marty has experience. Zack has had the same issues on the ice as the rest of the team. Of course, we don't know what any of them do in the locker room. That is where leadership begins.

Oh please! Seems there were other players, making big bucks, that haven't shown up. Shall we trade them because they aren't worth the money since they didn't do what you think they should have to win a series? A series that isn't over yet?

Yes, let's get rid of Elias, Kovy, and Brodeur, and any other veteran player who hasn't led. Those A's on the sweaters mean something. Marty has experience. Zack has had the same issues on the ice as the rest of the team. Of course, we don't know what any of them do in the locker room. That is where leadership begins.

Elias is 36 years old. He can't be expected to rise and shoulder the load in June. Kovy is injured and signed already. Marty played about as well as he could have played the first two games to no success. Parise is our captain in the prime of his career and about to get a huge contract. I'm not saying send him off in shame....I'm saying he isn't worth us signing him to that contract. A "Scott Stevens" leadership moment in the SCF could have changed that and like I said in the OP - could still change that.

Edited by ben00rs

Elias is 36 years old. He can't be expected to rise and shoulder the load in June. Kovy is injured and signed already. Marty played about as well as he could have played the first two games to no success. Parise is our captain in the prime of his career and about to get a huge contract. I'm not saying send him off in shame....I'm saying he isn't worth us signing him to that contract. A "Scott Stevens" leadership moment in the SCF could have changed that and like I said in the OP - could still change that.

So Zach should start taking runs at people in open ice? Zach has played his game about as well as he can. So far as I've seen, he hasn't made any egregious errors out on the ice or shown any signs at all that he's giving anything less than 100% effort. I understand that you want him to magically just force the team to win, but I don't see how you can fault him at all for the team being down 3-0 right now. The Kings want to win too, and they are a very good team. No matter how much Zach wants to win and no matter how much he leaderships the crap out of our players, you just can't win when the other team is this hot and getting all the breaks their way.

I wonder who you think is a "true game changer" in the NHL today? The term just makes no sense to me.

Right now in my opinion Kopitar, Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Giroux, Karlsson...I could go on.

I really do not think Parise is worth a contract that would be similar to these guys but he is going to get it somewhere.

Edited by Zubie#8

Elias is 36 years old. He can't be expected to rise and shoulder the load in June. Kovy is injured. Marty played about as well as he could have played the first two games to no success. Parise is our captain in the prime of his career and about to get a huge contract. I'm not saying send him off in shame....I'm saying he isn't worth us signing him to that contract. A "Scott Stevens" leadership moment in the SCF could have changed that.

I am not buying one iota of that. What about the other veterans, especially those that have Stanley Cup rings? btw Kovy got a really large contract and never won anything. If Kovy is injured then get his sorry ass off the ice. Elias and being 36 mean diddly. Stevens was 36 in 2000 when we won the cup in 2000 and 39 in 2003. Daneyko was 36 in 2000 and 39 in 2003. Joe Nieuwendyk was 37. Not buying the age thing. Sorry.

Edited by StarDew

Right now in my opinion Kopitar, Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Giroux, Karlsson...I could go on.

I really do not think Parise is worth a contract that would be similar to these guys but he is going to get it somewhere.

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on terminology here, but I don't see any of these players as single-handedly winning games for their teams. You would think a "game-changing" player would lead his teams to more success than any of these players have. But whatever, I'm not saying Parise is the best player in the world and we should hand him a blank check on July 1st, but he's a very good player who has been a huge part of this playoff run. In general, people pay way too much attention to goals and points when evaluating players. It's a cliche, sure, but Parise does so much for this team that doesn't always get onto the score sheet. How many times have we heard players and coaches around the league commenting on how hard he works and how difficult he is to play against? I think a lot of us take for granted the impact he has. If he leaves, we'll see it.

Maybe I'm just getting hung up on terminology here, but I don't see any of these players as single-handedly winning games for their teams. You would think a "game-changing" player would lead his teams to more success than any of these players have. But whatever, I'm not saying Parise is the best player in the world and we should hand him a blank check on July 1st, but he's a very good player who has been a huge part of this playoff run. In general, people pay way too much attention to goals and points when evaluating players. It's a cliche, sure, but Parise does so much for this team that doesn't always get onto the score sheet. How many times have we heard players and coaches around the league commenting on how hard he works and how difficult he is to play against? I think a lot of us take for granted the impact he has. If he leaves, we'll see it.

Yeah I agree, I should not of used the word game changer. I guess I am saying is that his skill set is not worth the contract he will get. Of course the man plays all out every night but I do not think it is worth it. Just my 2 cents.

I am definitely not saying I want him gone but the contract has to be reasonable.

Edited by Zubie#8