NFL Week 10!

CRASHER

You've basically got 6 teams fighting for one playoff spot:  Jets (5-4), Miami (4-4), Tennessee (4-5), Cleveland (4-5), Baltimore (4-5) and San Diego (4-5).  Not one of these teams looks like it's fully capable of going on a create-some-distance kind of run.  Jets have a pretty favorable schedule, but it's so hard trying to figure out what the hell these .500ish are going to do week-to-week...they're all around .500 for a reason (even if the reasons vary from team to team). 

It feels like the Jets have more going for them than anyone else at the moment, but I'd like to see them win two games in a row.  Baltimore's last 6 games have been decided by 6 points or less, and since giving up 49 points against the Broncos, they've been keeping the opponent's scoring down...just 17.5 points per game in their last 8 games.  Would help if Flacco wasn't in another one of his Average Joe funks...that's what seems to happen to him whenever it looks like he's ready to mentioned among the NFL's elite QBs (and now he's getting paid like one too). 

And KC has #5 seed written all over them.  I can't see them winning more than 12 games with their remaining schedule.  And I get the feeling that Denver will hold the tiebreaker against them by the end of the season, so 4-3 might be enough for the Broncos to take the division.  And the best thing to happen to Denver was losing to the Colts...no talk about 16-0 and the distractions that come with it...they can go 14-2 or 13-3 and do their thing in the playoffs (even with their defensive issues, I can't see them winning less than 13 games, unless Manning gets hurt, or unless the team is 12-3 and the last game means nothing to them).  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colorado. Manning got hurt last night. And he's been sustaining inquiries of lesser kind the last few games. I think personally he needs to rest if they want to make a run for the super bowl.

You've basically got 6 teams fighting for one playoff spot: Jets (5-4), Miami (4-4), Tennessee (4-5), Cleveland (4-5), Baltimore (4-5) and San Diego (4-5). Not one of these teams looks like it's fully capable of going on a create-some-distance kind of run. Jets have a pretty favorable schedule, but it's so hard trying to figure out what the hell these .500ish are going to do week-to-week...they're all around .500 for a reason (even if the reasons vary from team to team).

It feels like the Jets have more going for them than anyone else at the moment, but I'd like to see them win two games in a row. Baltimore's last 6 games have been decided by 6 points or less, and since giving up 49 points against the Broncos, they've been keeping the opponent's scoring down...just 17.5 points per game in their last 8 games. Would help if Flacco wasn't in another one of his Average Joe funks...that's what seems to happen to him whenever it looks like he's ready to mentioned among the NFL's elite QBs (and now he's getting paid like one too).

And KC has #5 seed written all over them. I can't see them winning more than 12 games with their remaining schedule. And I get the feeling that Denver will hold the tiebreaker against them by the end of the season, so 4-3 might be enough for the Broncos to take the division. And the best thing to happen to Denver was losing to the Colts...no talk about 16-0 and the distractions that come with it...they can go 14-2 or 13-3 and do their thing in the playoffs (even with their defensive issues, I can't see them winning less than 13 games, unless Manning gets hurt, or unless the team is 12-3 and the last game means nothing to them).

I know Manning got hurt, but not enough to miss the next game.  If Denver wins their two games against KC, they're in great shape...if they beat NE (sandwiched in between the KC games), they'll be 11-1 and really in the driver's seat.  They'll only have to go 2-2 after that to win 13 games...they'll have two home games, then two away.  In a perfect world, they get to 13-1 and rest Manning as much as possible the final two games of the season.  I think the Colts (6-3), Pats (7-2) and KC (9-0) are going to have at least 4 losses by the time the season's over.   

Would help if Flacco wasn't in another one of his Average Joe funks...that's what seems to happen to him whenever it looks like he's ready to mentioned among the NFL's elite QBs (and now he's getting paid like one too).

Flacco doesn't have the supporting cast anymore to get him in the elite conversation.

His contract may have ended his consecutive playoff streak.

Flacco doesn't have the supporting cast anymore to get him in the elite conversation.

His contract may have ended his consecutive playoff streak.

If he was truly elite he wouldn't need a supporting cast...look at Brady, look at the no-names he won super bowls with

I didn't see David Tyree going to the all pro team after his velcro helmet catch

Drew Brees was chalking up 5,000 yard years before there was Jimmy Graham

Look what Rivers is doing this year with a cast of who and an aging Antonio Gates

say what you want about Dumbo, he makes his 3rd WR into a STAR ....every year....

this goes for Kapernick too

elite QBs make their weapons BETTER....not the other way around

I'd add luck and Wilson in their two crasher. They have a stat that no one else does.

We'll find out about Luck NOW without Wayne....though I don't think either one is really considered elite yet anyway..... Wilson has a special ability though, he could be....and he's got the running game, but a very unreliable passing game.....

Well he's 2-0 like luck from major come back victories while Manning is 1-1 and the rest of the league is 0-58 that's Sam good. I think Indy is over rated personally. Wilson is like map though. They have the best arms out their. They won't run unless they can do it safely and good. Unlike rg3. Both are lucky to hold two of the best rbs in the league alongside them as well as defense. Seattle's refievers aren't the best but it'll make due. I'd be surprised if a team so strongly built like San Fran or Seattle doesn't have a super bowl each within the next seven years. There built better then most teams.

If he was truly elite he wouldn't need a supporting cast...look at Brady, look at the no-names he won super bowls with

I didn't see David Tyree going to the all pro team after his velcro helmet catch

Drew Brees was chalking up 5,000 yard years before there was Jimmy Graham

Look what Rivers is doing this year with a cast of who and an aging Antonio Gates

say what you want about Dumbo, he makes his 3rd WR into a STAR ....every year....

this goes for Kapernick too

elite QBs make their weapons BETTER....not the other way around

It's a two way street:

Brady's championships had more to do with the Pats D, and a running game: Dillion and Faulk as their key 3rd down back. Brady's best year was when he had Randy Moss.

Drew Bree's has always had the same WR corps (Colston, Moore and Meechem)

Rivers in his best years had Gates, Jackson and LT

Flacco, like Brady are struggling with a new, inexperienced corp of WR's.

Shocked Miami didn't pull away with this after the Rishard Matthews swing pass touchdown

Tampa with key pressure late in the game. And Miami was doing a good job until then with the quick passing game...short slants and curls. But as soon as Tannehill needed and extra 2-3 seconds, the pocket collapsed

It's a two way street:

Brady's championships had more to do with the Pats D, and a running game: Dillion and Faulk as their key 3rd down back. Brady's best year was when he had Randy Moss.

Drew Bree's has always had the same WR corps (Colston, Moore and Meechem)

Rivers in his best years had Gates, Jackson and LT

Flacco, like Brady are struggling with a new, inexperienced corp of WR's.

Without going too much into this, you're strictly going by the numbers, re:  Brady.  He's always been good, always found ways to make every group of receivers both "meh" and terrific work.  Even with all of the receiver losses he had to deal with, the Pats have scored 27 or more points in 5 out of their last 6 games (a little misleading, in that offense didn't account for ALL of those points, but the Pats O is at least heading in the right direction).  Brady put up fine numbers prior to 2007, before he and several other QBs started putting up silly Madden numbers.

He was more than a guy along for the ride in those championships.  There's a reason the team seemed to improve overnight once Bledsoe got hurt. 

Good for Tampa they have playing some good football the past few weeks.

Bite your tongue sir, that slimeball coach deserves to crawl back into his hole of obscurity where he belongs :P

He was truly worth of the honor of 0-16......

Without going too much into this, you're strictly going by the numbers, re:  Brady.  He's always been good, always found ways to make every group of receivers both "meh" and terrific work.  Even with all of the receiver losses he had to deal with, the Pats have scored 27 or more points in 5 out of their last 6 games (a little misleading, in that offense didn't account for ALL of those points, but the Pats O is at least heading in the right direction).  Brady put up fine numbers prior to 2007, before he and several other QBs started putting up silly Madden numbers.

He was more than a guy along for the ride in those championships.  There's a reason the team seemed to improve overnight once Bledsoe got hurt. 

I would say Brady won Super Bowls with receivers and backs worse then what the Ravens put on the field this year (case in point this season)

Brady's SB wins had more to do with the Pats D.

Brady had as much to do with those Super Bowl wins as anyone else on the Pats.  He's shown the ability to win games with a terrific defense and a lousy defense, with good receivers and meh ones...same with running backs (he had the Pats in position to win both Super Bowls against the Giants, but the Genius' D couldn't stop the Giants both times).   

This is definitely a great chance for the Jets to prove they're more than a week-to-week curiosity.  As far as the teams fighting for that 6th seed goes, EVERYTHING has been breaking right for the Jets...now it's on them to take advantage. 

It's crazy how everyone around the Jets has figuratively dropped dead. 

Tennessee is 4-6

One of Miami or San Diego will be 4-6 after this week. The other a middling 5-5 (both have tough schedules)

Cleveland is playing the Bengals. Probably a better than 50% chance they will be 4-6

Baltimore is 4-5...toss up game in Chicago.

we might be in for an 8-8 wild card

The Jets can really seize the wildcard by the throat this weekend in Orchard Park, it'll give them another division/conference win and at 6-4 will put them solidly ahead of a bunch of teams. This means they'll lose.

If the Jets are 9-6 heading into Miami to finish the season, with wins over Buffalo, Miami, Cleveland, and Oakland (all very possible) and losses to Carolina and Baltimore...they may already have all the tiebreakers by then and the game will mean nothing.

Edited by '7'

Brady had as much to do with those Super Bowl wins as anyone else on the Pats.  He's shown the ability to win games with a terrific defense and a lousy defense, with good receivers and meh ones...same with running backs (he had the Pats in position to win both Super Bowls against the Giants, but the Genius' D couldn't stop the Giants both times).   

I don't want to diminish Brady's greatness, but ascribing him too much credit when the victory over the "Greatest Show of Turf" had more to do with your defense.  New England's D won the game by getting three huge St. Louis turnovers.   Without those turnovers you lose.  The 2004 team had Corey Dillion and a strong running game.    Brady is a great QB, but he didn't carry the team to those two superbowl wins.

Brief look at the developing playoff picture. The Jets got a sh!t ton of luck AGAIN and hold the 6th seed with a tiebreaker over Miami (division record is tiebreaker when both teams vying for the wild card are from the same division) Miami however has destiny in their own hands much like the Jets.

Miami has a brutal game against Carolina next week. They can be jeckyll and hyde like us...but I don't seem them winning it (they will keep it close) They also have to play New England and I don't like their chances in Pittsburgh. They beat us once, we beat them once, they'll likely beat Buffalo as well...Miami finishes 7-9

Cleveland...4-6. Play Pittsburgh twice. Play New England, Play Chicago. No way they're any better than 6-10. They're hanging by a thread. I can see them getting up for one of the Pittsburgh games and beating them though.

Baltimore...4-6. Licking their chops with Geno coming in next week. But they also have to deal with Pitt, Cinci, NE, Detroit as well. My gut says they go 3-3 and finish 7-9.

Raiders...4-6. Real tough team to evaluate. Not a ton of talent... plenty of team speed but make a sh!tload of stupid plays. With Dallas, KC, SD, Denver, and the Jets on the sched...I think the best they can muster up is 7-9 but 6-10 is more likely. Texans are just a joke now and I can't put much stock in their win today.

Tennessee...4-6. Winnable game next week but then a brutal stretch of indy-denver-arizona. Though they do finish with Texans-Jags. If they can beat Arizona (no easy task) then 8-8 might do it for them because they'd have the tiebreaker over us and Pittsburgh and Miami

Pittsburgh at 4-6. They're the one team I'd actually predict can run the table and just blow this thing apart...however if you look at them top to bottom they're really not that great. They can lose to Baltimore, they can lose to Cinci...they can certainly lose to GB right before Christmas when Rogers will be back. Heck would it shock anybody if even Cleveland picked them off along the way? Dangerous though. Would not count them out.

San Diego 4-6 with too much Denver/KC to deal with. Shovel dirt on them

And now we get to the 5-5 Jets. Crushing loss. Horrific performance by Geno. Another post bye week letdown. Really our only hope in Baltimore is that the Ravens might be deflated and fatigued after back to back OT games...the most recent a tough loss. Still, they are tough at home and would absolutely feast on somebody like Geno...who I don't think necessarily gets rattled...but just has a tough time reading defenses.

Edited by '7'

Every time the 2013 Jets seem poised to force people to take them seriously as more than a team in rebuilding mode, they have a game like today's.  They now have a -85 point differential.  They also have a lousy conference record (2-5). 

This loss was a tough one for the Jets, because at 6-4 they really would've been in terrific shape...3-3 in their last six probably would've gotten it done.  Hell, 3-3 might STILL get it done, as none of the teams in competition with them seem capable of putting any kind of real run together...but Jets aren't in great shape with tiebreakers.  Pittsburgh and Tennessee already have them against the Jets. 

BTW the Bills have the Falcons, Bucs, and Jags coming up as their next three games...they have a chance to get to 7-7 and sneak into this thing.  The race for #6 is getting crazier by the week...Jets could have buried the Bills completely today.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976