This summer's Devil UFA's

Jerzey

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($6.000m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)

Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / P-A Parenteau ($1.250m)

Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Ryan Carter ($0.800m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.650m) / Steve Bernier ($0.750m)

Eric Boulton ($0.663m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($6.750m) / Andy Greene ($3.000m)

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Adam Larsson ($0.925m)

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)

Mark Fayne ($0.578m) /

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($3.000m)

Al Montoya ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS

Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,031,666; BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,268,334

My turn:

Zach- Depends on the financials, my guess it will take 12 years 80-90 million to sign him (almost all of you are underestimating what he will get). If they have a financing deal in place he stays.

Sal- walks, won't even get an offer from the Devils. Have 6 d locked in for next year no room for him.

Poni- Stay for about what he makes now

Carter- Stays

Gionta- Stays, one way deal under 1 million

Sykora- walks or retires

Cam- walks, playoffs showed the team the difference a competant 4th means. Plus they can't run Kovalchuk down like they did this year.

Bernier- Not a clue

Harrold- Stays as a #7

Hedberg- Retires

How much for the chloroform to kidnap PArise and Suter and force them to sign at those numbers?

I laughed out loud HARD when I saw that

Countdown to no more pipedreams about Ryan Suter becoming a Devil: 14 days

If somehow Lou managed to sign both of them, I would say it was his strongest summer in...FOREVER?!?

I think you're underestimating almost all of those signings, specifically carter, Harding and Fayne.

Carter will get $1M or more, and Fayne will certainly make more than $600k

Think about it, signing Parise and Suter in the same off season would have the Devils sign the two most lucrative free agents on the market, by a long shot. When have we ever done that before?

They came pretty close two offseasons ago with Kovy and Volchenkov lol. I don't even remember who else was a big deal that year, Paul Martin? :lol:

the issue isn't so much spending to the cap on a year by year basis. i would think this team has about $80mm in revenue w/ one round of playoffs. the issue is that they need to make enough profit to somehow get this loan paid off in the next 10 years. there's no $80mm payment coming this summer in any way. Its going to be refinanced to where, say, $20mm is paid and the loan is stretched out another 5-10 years.

regarding suter - everyone is right - technically he is affordable. but its a huge waste of resources to go after him. it is not a position of need for the devils. unless volchenkov is being traded (NMC) there's not really a slot for him. the devils defense was fairly excellent this year and should only improve next year with a full year of tallinder and zidlicky and a sophomore year from Larsson.

The other issue is if you do re-sign Zach it'll probably be a frontloaded deal. To what degree, who knows...but if you have Kovy getting $11 million per year the next few years and Zach getting some hefty salaries too, then you have to spend at least several million over the cap just to get to the cap.

A quick read on the five Devils restricted free agents.

Mark Fayne Tops List of RFA's for NJ

The RFA season won't be the same without Mark Fraser taking us to arbitration.

Nice article man. I didn't realized you blogged, I'll have to add it to my list.

Thanks man. I was/am a freelance journalist for a little while in to keep busy and a friend of mine asked me to help out for his blog. Just a more constructed place to put my thoughts.

I really think Fayne is a great defensemen, it is disappointing to think replacing him would be easy and he isn't worth much more than $1.5M

Are we rumored to be after any players besides parise? I havnt heard anything. But maybe thats good news cause it seems like whenever we are rumored to be after players in free agency we dont get them. I remember being really surprised by the volchenkov, tallinder, moose summer. I dont think we were connected to them at all going into free agency*

Edited by njd3b1ink

Are we rumored to be after any players besides parise? I havnt heard anything. But maybe thats good news cause it seems like whenever we are rumored to be after players in free agency we dont get them. I remember being really surprised by the volchenkov, tallinder, moose summer. I dont think we were connected to them at all going into free agency*

The Devils are never connected to anyone until it happens, besides our own guys staying/going. I cannot recall one Devils rumor (aside from midseason trades Kovalchuk and Zidlicky) that have ever happened and none in respect to free agents. Its best to disregard Devils rumors for the most part, especially free agents that have never played here before.

Maybe I'm wrong, but one or both of the Volchenkov/Tallinder signings were almost reaction actions when Martin left.

What also was confusing last year was when we got Janssen then Boulton after that. Still doesn't make sense.

Maybe I'm wrong, but one or both of the Volchenkov/Tallinder signings were almost reaction actions when Martin left.

What also was confusing last year was when we got Janssen then Boulton after that. Still doesn't make sense.

You could say they were reactions but Lou already knew Martin was gone. He asked him before July 1 if he would take a discount to stay. He said no and Lou was ready to offer Tallinder an Volchenkov more than anyone else but still less than Martin. I was against that move at the time but it has proven to be correct.

Boulton doesn't make sense now but he was not the worst player in hockey before he got here. He is now of course. And Janssen was on a 2-way. I don't know that Lou really thought over the summer they'd both make the team.

You could say they were reactions but Lou already knew Martin was gone. He asked him before July 1 if he would take a discount to stay. He said no and Lou was ready to offer Tallinder an Volchenkov more than anyone else but still less than Martin. I was against that move at the time but it has proven to be correct.

Boulton doesn't make sense now but he was not the worst player in hockey before he got here. He is now of course. And Janssen was on a 2-way. I don't know that Lou really thought over the summer they'd both make the team.

I agree with the last paragraph. Even though I hate how Boulton still has a year left, I can't beat up Lou too badly. It appears that Boults is well liked in the locker room and you really don't want to mess with chemistry. I recall Kovalchuk being upset when news broke of him being placed on waivers

All you have to do is Google "Paul Martin bad contract", and you'll see how things have been going for him in Pittsburgh. Lou was 100% right on that one. I never looked at Martin and thought "$5 mil per year", same as I never looked at Gio and thought "$5 mil per year". Gotta give Lou credit for not being the guy who follows everyone else jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge. When it comes to guys he let walk, he's usually been proven right.

Via TG

Confirmed that D Mark Fayne (previously reported), D Matt Corrente and RW Vladimir Zharkov all received qualifying offers.

Interested in the # for Fayne, not surprised at Corrente, and glad about Zharkov. I have no complaints.

Interested in the # for Fayne, not surprised at Corrente, and glad about Zharkov. I have no complaints.

Usually qualifying offers are for the minimum that can be offered, it ensures you retain the players rights while you negotiate the real contract. So Fayne likely go offered $582,750, with both sides knowing that isn't a real offer, just a formality.

Usually qualifying offers are for the minimum that can be offered, it ensures you retain the players rights while you negotiate the real contract. So Fayne likely go offered $582,750, with both sides knowing that isn't a real offer, just a formality.

Im aware of this being a formality. Fayne will be getting more than that. Thats why Im curious about the #, I know he wont be sticking at the qualifier.

What's everyone think about Zharkov? Is he off to the KHL if he isn't guaranteed time in the NHL (aka 1-way contract?)

I love Zharkov! I hope he stays here and impresses everyone during camp, maybe he can put some pucks in the net for once...I can dream. :rolleyes: