50 replies to this topic

#21 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

How screwed are the Chiefs and Saints now?? Yep.....

Someone must've told them defense isn't mandatory.

Brees will win the Saints some games; it's kind of amazing they've even had a chance late in both games despite him playing pretty poorly and the defense looking like Swiss cheese (which may be too kind, as horrible as they've looked). I can't say the same about Kansas City and Matt Cassel. Still, starting 0-2 probably hurts New Orleans more considering the tough conference.

Edit: I just realized they play each other next week. Kind of fitting.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 September 2012 - 11:00 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#22 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

I HATE replacement refs.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

I HATE replacement refs.

The conferences that are taking place after seemingly EVERY flag are getting hard to take...it feels like there are long stretches in many games that are seeing their natural flows disrupted. And though Week 1 wasn't too bad, Week 2 was definitely worse...phantom calls, missed calls, coaches stuck challenging rulings that were clearly not right...refs looking confused too much of the time...I wouldn't say this has been a complete disaster yet, and the normal refs have had their share of follies in recent years, but the little things are starting to add up.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 17 September 2012 - 11:17 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

The conferences that are taking place after seemingly EVERY flag are getting hard to take...it feels like there are long stretches in many games that are seeing their natural flows disrupted. And though Week 1 wasn't too bad, Week 2 was definitely worse...phantom calls, missed calls, coaches stuck challenging rulings that were clearly not right...refs looking confused too much of the time...I wouldn't say this has been a complete disaster yet, and the normal refs have had their share of follies in recent years, but the little things are starting to add up.

Agreed, they seem to be getting overwhelmed more each week and the flow of the game is inconsistent.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#25 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Agreed, they seem to be getting overwhelmed more each week and the flow of the game is inconsistent.

I heard sarcasm in a number of broadcasts (I have DirecTV and was watching Game Mix for a while, and flipping around to different commentaries)...most of the cracks made had to do with the number of flags being thrown. It's funny, but the replacement MO seems to be: see something remotely questionable, throw a flag, then discuss exactly what the flag should be for, then make the call...if there was nothing, we can pick the flag back up, but we'd rather make too many calls than not enough. Like I said, it hasn't been outright disastrous YET, but it now feels like it's only going to be a matter of time before it's going to blow up. What is clear: even with the normal refs botching their share of calls, fans and others are starting to clamor more and more for their return to the NFL...that pretty much says it all.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

By the way CR, we will see you next Sunday night....without Lee Evans or Billy Cundif!!!

Edited by MantaRay, 17 September 2012 - 12:40 PM.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

By the way CR, we will see you next Sunday night....without Lee Evans or Billy Cundif!!!

I mentioned that earlier...thought it was going to be a battle of 2-0 teams, and not 1-1s. Pretty important early season contest for both teams...a 1-2 start for either team is going to be disappointing.

#30 FOREVER!

#28 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Re: the replacement officials - Ike Taylor was called for a phantom pass interference in the Jets' game. The funny thing was, I bet they threw the flag out of reaction from Ryan Clark's hard-but-clean hit on Holmes, but to avoid embarrassment, they just gave Taylor the phantom pass interference call. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my theory anyway.

The crew in St. Louis was also awful with their handling of the Steven Jackson goal line fiasco.

I also heard the ending to Baltimore/Philly was hilarious with the crew taking 3+ minutes to rule that Vick threw an incomplete pass.... after initially ruling it a fumble and having to review it, despite the fact the play was right in front of one of the officials who couldn't even make a call.

The veteran officials are far from perfect themselves, but the league really needs them back. Another week or two like this is going to reflect poorly on the league.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#29 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

Re: the replacement officials - Ike Taylor was called for a phantom pass interference in the Jets' game. The funny thing was, I bet they threw the flag out of reaction from Ryan Clark's hard-but-clean hit on Holmes, but to avoid embarrassment, they just gave Taylor the phantom pass interference call. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my theory anyway.

The crew in St. Louis was also awful with their handling of the Steven Jackson goal line fiasco.

I also heard the ending to Baltimore/Philly was hilarious with the crew taking 3+ minutes to rule that Vick threw an incomplete pass.... after initially ruling it a fumble and having to review it, despite the fact the play was right in front of one of the officials who couldn't even make a call.

The veteran officials are far from perfect themselves, but the league really needs them back. Another week or two like this is going to reflect poorly on the league.

Agreed, every week the replacement are still officiating games, is that much more of a chance of a major fiasco happening in one or more games...it's only a matter of time. Like we've all said, the veterans are hardly perfect and screw up a lot too (how quickly we forget), but they are the best at what they do, as we are seeing...the NFL should settle with the vets and be glad that the two weeks of replacements didn't go as badly as it could have. The NFL is too big to let this continue for much longer.

#30 FOREVER!

#30 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

I mentioned that earlier...thought it was going to be a battle of 2-0 teams, and not 1-1s. Pretty important early season contest for both teams...a 1-2 start for either team is going to be disappointing.

Agreed.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#31 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Not to mention the phantom Offensive pass interference which would have won the game for us.

The league NEEDS to bring back the real refs.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

Agreed.

By the way, only two 2-0 teams left in the AFC (San Diego and Houston, with Denver having a shot to match that tonight).

#30 FOREVER!

#33 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Interesting hearing about how bad the refs have been this week. The main game I watched from start to finish was the Panthers-Saints game and that crew was pretty much perfect except a weird call where called defensive holding instead of PI.

But I did see a few terrible calls around the league while flipping around.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#34 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

3 straight interceptions for Manning to start this game. Woof.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#35 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

More ridiculously long delays by replacement refs. What a joke.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#36 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

The NFL HAS to bring back the real officials. This is a fvcking joke. I swear, I fvcking hate Roger Goodell. Almost as much as I hate Bettman.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#37 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

This defensive effort by Atlanta has been great, Manning has been befuddled all game with their constant movement near the line of scrimmage.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#38 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Is Chris Johnson ever going to be able to run again?
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#39 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,608 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

The NFL HAS to bring back the real officials. This is a fvcking joke. I swear, I fvcking hate Roger Goodell. Almost as much as I hate Bettman.

The "REAL" officials ain't much better....and they're a greedy bunch of dickbags that make all the idiots in the NHL look sane....frak 'em all.... I'll deal with this re-learning process to get legit and FULL-TIME refs

Is Chris Johnson ever going to be able to run again?

The Titans could be the worst team in football right now....that doesn't help......
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#40 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

The "REAL" officials ain't much better....and they're a greedy bunch of dickbags that make all the idiots in the NHL look sane....frak 'em all.... I'll deal with this re-learning process to get legit and FULL-TIME refs

Are you kidding me?

The replacement officials have made the NFL unwatchable, which I thought would be a nigh impossible task. To me there is a huge difference in terms of delay's, understanding the rules and being quick enough in judgement and on field positioning. The replacement ref's look overwhelmed and intimidated at times.

As Steven Young said last night, "The NFL just doesn't care", so why should I? Aside from Nationally Televised Ravens games, I will just find something else to do on Sunday.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users