Detroit Red Wings @ New Jersey Devils--7pm

Neutral Zone Trap

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shoulda went to the game....it sucks cuz u go to so many bad ones and then you're turned off...well, some people...and then you don't go to a bunch unless its college/family night or a Cup game or something....I started watching during the Shootout and im getting texts saying we shoulda went.

ANDY GREENE fvck AWFUL TURNOVER

We started off this game incredibly and everything's been slowly falling off all game. Oduya and Greene both had sh!tty plays on defense to allow goals, and Elias's offensive zone penalty hurt us too. Stupid.

It's been a pretty good game but the Devils haven't been pushing back offensively enough. Once Detroit got their legs it's been a problem. Many Devils look to be laboring while trying to match up with Detroit's speed, though we've been winning the majority of the board battles.

Looks like today's 4th line has gotten more minutes than most 4th lines because we've had a lead but everyone looks a little beat in this third playing 2 games in 2 nights.

Agree on all points.

I don't know I just don't like the shootout and never will. This game does not feel like a win imo. They couldn't hold on to a 2 goal lead twice and almost lost the game on that late scramble toward the end of the 3rd period. It should have been a well earned point for both teams and settled as a tie.

Hmmm...

It's so funny how you pretty much know what's going to happen in a shoot out as the guys line up to go. Now, the hmmm? Hmmmm!!! How can Marty get the guys that you can't read? That seems to be the thing. If a guy can blank himself out and just be an energized blank slate --- he's going to score on him. It blows how predictable that is. And I have ZERO idea how to NOT kind of lean on a read.. .grr.... OMG and HOW stupid was that Ledo or whatever - that one was a classic start .. as IF he was going to just pick his spot.. what was that even? Zetterberg was all nervous heehee Bertuzzi was an odd one because his start was pretty nice not a tough read but a kind of nice fresh I got this quality that was worrisome... and then he went and beat himself WHEW!

Patrik was scary -- he was up there and if I was Osgood I'd just think Awe sh!t...

ANyhow - and I'm not a fan of the shoot out at all... the fun is in the read honestly.

What a freaking OT. really great practice on keeping focus -- I love seeing that. So often the last few seasons they have those great drives and then don't play d and they're scored on -- poof it's done all that forward momentum and just effin' POOF GONE. and they were so on top of it this game. So nice to see.

The third game in four nights, a very talented Red Wings team -- there are some legit reasons why we didn't play as well in the second and third periods.

However, we dominated OT!

I agree with the consensus -- this game deserved to end in a tie.

im an NHL noob still, but what determines if we keep it a tie or go for a shootout?

The Case For the Shootout:

# Nothing matches the tension, anticipation and thrill of a shootout. Considering the price of an NHL ticket these days, fans deserve great entertainment, and the shootout is a heck of a great show.

# Does the NHL want more people in the seats and more fans watching at home? The shootout is fast, exciting, delivers immediate results and is easy for casual fans to follow.

# The NHL needs goals. Scoring has declined since the 1980s and most teams play a boring, defense-first style. Hockey is supposed to be about scoring. The shootout returns goal-scoring to its rightful place at the center of the game.

# What's wrong with change? Hockey is an evolving game. The forward pass was illegal until 1911. Regular season overtime began in 1983. Change is good, especially if it makes the spectators happy.

# The shootout could be accompanied by other changes, which would encourage teams to win the game in regulation time. For example, what if every game is worth three points? If it's decided in overtime or in a shootout, the winning team gets two points and the losing team gets one. But if a team wins the game in regulation time it gets all three points.

# The shootout would not replace overtime in the Stanley Cup playoffs. It would only be used to decide regular season games, and only after five minute of overtime.

The Case Against the Shootout:

# The shootout may be fun, but it isn't hockey. Hockey is a team game, not a series of breakaways. Players have to earn scoring chances by outworking and out-skating opponents.

# The shootout is a gimmick, the equivalent of deciding a baseball game with a home run contest or breaking a football tie by having quarterbacks throw the ball through a tire.

# Martin Brodeur works his butt off all night, stops 40 shots and salvages a 1-1 tie for his team. Two minutes later he's a loser because he couldn't stop a couple of guys on free breakaways. How fair is that?

# What's wrong with a tie? If teams can't decide a winner after 65 minutes of hockey, a tie is a just result.

# The shootout is a great novelty, nothing more. That novelty would soon wear thin and players and fans on the losing end of shootouts would feel cheated.

# Another change to the game means more complications in the NHL standings. SOL (shootout losses) would replace ties. More points would be handed out, making historical comparisons between teams even more difficult. Player stats would require yet another category for shootout goals and saves.

http://printscan.about.com/od/printerscannerreviews/tp/Multifunction-Top-Picks.--2F.htm

I like the shootout....I don't like how the deciding factor of a game lies on the shoulders of a handful of teammates when this is a team sport.

Agree on all points.

I don't know I just don't like the shootout and never will. This game does not feel like a win imo. They couldn't hold on to a 2 goal lead twice and almost lost the game on that late scramble toward the end of the 3rd period. It should have been a well earned point for both teams and settled as a tie.

I agree too but it still feel like a win if only because you HAVE to be glad for the change in OT though. There was REAL progress in the sight and energy of this team. They can pull it together. They are beginning to really understand they have reserve power. So the game itself yeah - not a winning feeling - but as for the whole picture... I was honestly surprised. They are seizing the opportunities to LEARN! I really enjoy that more than anything in a team - more then an actual win ning season even. I'm a chick - a mom - whaddaya want, Screwed priorities :evil:

The third game in four nights, a very talented Red Wings team -- there are some legit reasons why we didn't play as well in the second and third periods.

However, we dominated OT!

I agree with the consensus -- this game deserved to end in a tie.

Heck, they almost certainly would have won in regulation if they didn't get rooked late in the second period on that bogus Elias penalty. That PP goal changed the game in the third.

ANDY GREENE fvck AWFUL TURNOVER

We started off this game incredibly and everything's been slowly falling off all game. Oduya and Greene both had sh!tty plays on defense to allow goals, and Elias's offensive zone penalty hurt us too. Stupid.

To be fair, while the turnover from Greene was bad, if you go back and look at it, his stick was slashed a little which made him give up the puck. It's questionable whether or not that should have been a penalty, but there was definitely a small slash there.

As for the Elias penalty, that was quite a job by Lidstrom. He held back Elias, tried to push him out of the play, fell in the process, and somehow Elias got called for it. That's why Elias was shaking his head with a smile on his face as he was looking at the officials. That was an absolutely horrendous call.

It was so nice to see some of the old players from the 1995 SCC tonight. Got to meet Mike Peluso after so many years after he left the Devils and retired. Just the memories we are talking about and told him it still chokes me up when i looked over at the Devils bench and saw him just balling out crying towards the end of Game 4 of the SCF. he just laughed and I said. "hey Mike you were not the only one balling and crying their eyes out." It was cool to meet the rest of the players as well that were there tonight. such great memories.

As far as the game the Devils blowing a 3-1 lead was not very good but this Detroit team has a good PP and know how to comeback just like this Devils team. It was a good game and too bad we don't have 10 minute OT instead of the SO. The Parise SO goal was again insane and the GWSOG by Elias was a beauty. Really suprised to see Zetterberg not score in the SO, but it was a nice save by Brodeur. Bertuzzi, don't know what the hell he was trying to do on that spin -o-rama shot he took in the SO. LOL! Devils got the win and the two points considering they played on back to back nights so well deserved.

Maybe we will see Danis play now in Buffalo with Brodeur playing the last 6 plus games in a row. Danis has to play sometime and too long of a layoff is not good. If not in Buffalo, maybe home on Wednesday night vs. Carolina or Friday night vs. Florida. Danis IMO, should play one of those three next games. Brodeur definitely playing vs. Philadelphia on Saturday night.

Heck, they almost certainly would have won in regulation if they didn't get rooked late in the second period on that bogus Elias penalty. That PP goal changed the game in the third.

I agree that that play sucked and probably changed the complexion of the game. But I give the Red Wings credit for pulling it off. Like someone else just said, that was a savvy move by Lidstrom to draw the penalty, and it was an equally good veteran play on the resulting goal.

So was there ever any discussion on what the players are doing nowadays? I'm terribly intrigued by Mike Peluso, he was my favorite player back then and seemed to have dropped off the map. I was shocked to hear he'd be there tonight. He's sure got an interesting look going on...

I think during his interview with Peluso between the first and second periods, Cangiolosi mentioned that he is a scout for the Oilers. ... Mike still looks like he could lace 'em up.

Edited by 95Crash

The second goal that Holmstrom scored the PPG to make it 3-2 Devils was BS too. He slashes and backs into Brodeur and no goaltending interference. The guy does this for a living, was called for the very same penalty in the 1st, yet he keeps on doing it and the refs let it play on and it almost costed the Devils this game. Brodeur actually flipped out on the ref over Holmstrom interferring with him in the crease. Glad someone knocked Holmstrom's helmet off on that play too. Someone should have knocked his lights out too. man do we miss Clarkson for this game as he would have done something about Holmstrom in that crease. Actually the 1st two goals Brodeur was interfered with especially the second goal by Holmstrom was just a joke. The Elias penalty was the icing on the cake. Bad calls and bad non calls in this game for sure.

The second goal that Holmstrom scored the PPG to make it 3-2 Devils was BS too. He slashes and backs into Brodeur and no goaltending interference. The guy does this for a living, was called for the very same penalty in the 1st, yet he keeps on doing it and the refs let it play on and it almost costed the Devils this game. Brodeur actually flipped out on the ref over Holmstrom interferring with him in the crease. Glad someone knocked Holmstrom's helmet off on that play too. Someone should have knocked his lights out too. man do we miss Clarkson for this game as he would have done something about Holmstrom in that crease. Actually the 1st two goals Brodeur was interfered with especially the second goal by Holmstrom was just a joke. The Elias penalty was the icing on the cake. Bad calls and bad non calls in this game for sure.

Indeed. Before the lock-out when defensemen could play defense, Holmstrom was useless. D-men used to be able to clear the crease by beating his ass, he never used to stand in the crease like he does now.

But now that this new NHL penalizes defense, forwards get away with liberties that make the game a joke. Goalies are getting run and interfered with and no penalty on the forward. Forwards can also x-check D-men and leave their feet while chasing a dump-in and mash the D-men against the glass, no call. The trapezoid enables Forwards so much liberties it's sickening.

IN the old NHL players like Crosby,Malkin and AO would not nearly be as effective as they are now, they'd be clobbered by good D-men.

Lidstrom's embellishment with Elias was embarrasing, Lid's should have gotten an unsportsman like call for diving.

In 223 row 7 for every game back then--it was unreal,to this day I never heard a louder crowd.After hanging out for awhile taking it all in,who was outside on top of a bus screaming and going crazy but the Hanson Brothers--That whole cup run was great,I'll never forget randy Mckays game winner in ot against Boston.

Get out! I was in 223 row 8 for all of 95. Still my favorite section of all time.

...! I really enjoy that more than anything in a team - more then an actual win ning season even. I'm a chick - a mom - whaddaya want, Screwed priorities :evil:

amen to that sister!!

Get out! I was in 223 row 8 for all of 95. Still my favorite section of all time.

Yeah,I had 3 seats for 7 years until my kids got into doing other things.The seats were great,I loved those seats--saw Martys goal against the Habs the whole way,a few years later got him to sign the program from that game---95 was like no other.

Edited by hit the post

Indeed. Before the lock-out when defensemen could play defense, Holmstrom was useless. D-men used to be able to clear the crease by beating his ass, he never used to stand in the crease like he does now.

But now that this new NHL penalizes defense, forwards get away with liberties that make the game a joke. Goalies are getting run and interfered with and no penalty on the forward. Forwards can also x-check D-men and leave their feet while chasing a dump-in and mash the D-men against the glass, no call. The trapezoid enables Forwards so much liberties it's sickening.

IN the old NHL players like Crosby,Malkin and AO would not nearly be as effective as they are now, they'd be clobbered by good D-men.

Lidstrom's embellishment with Elias was embarrasing, Lid's should have gotten an unsportsman like call for diving.

I agree. If it was the old NHL, there is no way Holmstrom stays in the crease like that. Stevens and Daneyko would have destroyed his ass! More and more this new NHL is really turning into a creme puff league, which is sad. They need to protect the goalies more than what we saw last night with all the interference on Brodeur.