Ben Thomson LW: +1, 5 PIM (Fighting)* 1st Star
Ben Johnson LW: Assist, +1* 3rd Star

NCAA
Wisconsin defeated Alabama-Huntsville 5-0
Joe Faust D: +1, 2 Shots

WJC Division 1
Belarus defeated France 9-3
Artur Gavrus C: 3 Goals, Assist (PP), +3, 10 Shots, 16/23 Faceoffs

Edited by thefiestygoat, 13 December 2012 - 10:55 PM.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#242 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,590 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Must have been a heck of a fight to get the games first star for it. :lol:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#243 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

Must have been a heck of a fight to get the games first star for it. :lol:

Seriously, or he played a hell of a defensive game. I refreshed the page multiple times since I thought it had to have been an error but his name kept coming up there.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#244 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

This level of hockey would be that of Junior A, maybe even Junior B. This tournament means absolutely nothing other than national pride.

Playing for the chance to move up a division into the top tier and play in the WJC against the best juniors in the world is not overly prestigious but it’s hardly meaningless.

I don’t know if this is the same for other countries in the lower leagues but over here the success you have in tournaments such as this is linked to the funding you receive the next year going forward, getting relegated or promoted can mean the difference between a great programme one year and nothing the next.

Although if you mean that Gavrus excelling in the tournament and putting up a number of points should not be read into that much because the level of competition is weak and he should be one of the best players on the ice given his level of experience in other leagues, then yes I totally agree.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9, 14 December 2012 - 06:08 AM.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#245 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

Playing for the chance to move up a division into the top tier and play in the WJC against the best juniors in the world is not overly prestigious but it’s hardly meaningless.

I don’t know if this is the same for other countries in the lower leagues but over here the success you have in tournaments such as this is linked to the funding you receive the next year going forward, getting relegated or promoted can mean the difference between a great programme one year and nothing the next.

Although if you mean that Gavrus excelling in the tournament and putting up a number of points should not be read into that much because the level of competition is weak and he should be one of the best players on the ice given his level of experience in other leagues, then yes I totally agree.

Sorry, that is exactly what I meant. His stats in this tournament run in line with Sergei Kostitsyn at the same age. It would be nice for him to carry Belarus to the WJC next year where he can represent them.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#246 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Sorry, that is exactly what I meant. His stats in this tournament run in line with Sergei Kostitsyn at the same age. It would be nice for him to carry Belarus to the WJC next year where he can represent them.

Yeah that is more than a fair point.

The tournament is so tight this year between Norway, Denmark and Belarus for the promotion spot.

GB is looking unlikely to win promtion back to Group A after getting relegated last year.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#247 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Friday 12/14
QMJHL
Blainville-Boisbriand lost to Val-d'Or 5-3
Stefan Matteau LW: DNP (US Camp)

OHL
Sarnia defeated Guelph 4-2
Reid Boucher LW: Goal (PP), Assist, +2, 2 PIM (Goalie Interference)

Kitchener lost to Erie 6-2
Ben Thomson LW: E, 4 PIM (High Sticking, Roughing)

WHL
Swift Current lost to Saskatoon 4-3
Reece Scarlett D: Goal, E
Graham Black C: -1

Kelowna defeated Medicine Hat 5-2
Damon Severson D: Goal (PP), 2 Assists (1 PP), +3* 1st Star

BCHL
Coquitlam lost to Langley 8-3
Alex Kerfoot C: DNP (Injured)

NCAA
Michigan lost to Western Michigan 4-1
Jon Merrill D: DNP (Cracked Vertebrae)

Wisconsin defeated Alabama-Huntsville 4-1
Joe Faust D: +1, 2 Shots

Miami tied Ohio State 1-1
Blake Coleman C: E, 2 Shots, 2 PIM (Slashing), 8/15 Faceoffs
Curtis Gedig D: E, 2 Shots

North Dakota defeated Michigan Tech 6-1
Derek Rodwell RW: Goal, +1, 2 Shots, 1/2 Faceoffs
Blake Pietila LW: Goal, E, 4 Shots, 12/17 Faceoffs

#248 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Artur Gavrus had a 1 goal 1 assist 10 shots in his final game. Belarus unfortunately does nto get through, Denmark had the better record due to a slightly fluke win over Belarus in the round robin series.

Gavrus - 5 games 5 goals 5 assists, 10 points, +7, 44 shots

#249 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

Artur Gavrus had a 1 goal 1 assist 10 shots in his final game. Belarus unfortunately does nto get through, Denmark had the better record due to a slightly fluke win over Belarus in the round robin series.

Gavrus - 5 games 5 goals 5 assists, 10 points, +7, 44 shots

That's a shame, he was one of the top scorers in the tournement.

#250 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,942 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

I watched some of Miami-OSU - Gedig was noticeable, Coleman really didn't make much of an impact on the game.

Watching these games makes me more impressed with how difficult scouting is - I recognize that scouts usually go to watch certain players, but how do you figure out if a player is good in even a few games?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#251 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,212 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Looks like Corrente is done for the season

@Ledger_NJDevils
Devils' Matt Corrente out for season after shoulder surgery http://nj-ne.ws/Y5Ccvs

#252 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

I watched some of Miami-OSU - Gedig was noticeable, Coleman really didn't make much of an impact on the game.

Watching these games makes me more impressed with how difficult scouting is - I recognize that scouts usually go to watch certain players, but how do you figure out if a player is good in even a few games?

3 games is usually the most you really want to see a player. Skillset can be picked up in a shift or two. Sure there are situational skills you may catch a few times in the 3 games. The rest of the time I am looking at hockey sense and how he plays the game, what he does in certain situations, what roles the coach is giving him and so on. If the kid can play, he can play. I gave up looking at skillsets and saying he will be good.

Part of my frustration working with other amateur type scouts is that they waste so much time analysing the skills and results. Discussions when making the final rankings was the same banter and BS. "Grigorenko is better offensively thean these guys." "I think Reinhart projects to a 30 point dmen." blah blah blah

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 15 December 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#253 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Jas0nMacIsaac, if you don't mind me asking I have a few random questions. Where do scouts prefer to sit at games? Or is it really different scout to scout? Also, would you say most scouts jot down notes on paper or is there a decent mix of them that bring laptops into games? Thanks!

#254 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,942 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Jason: Yeah that makes sense, although I'd want more than 3 games. I also think ranking prospects in a big group is a fool's errand. I know the Devils rank prospects qualitatively a la old school baseball scouting (dunno if they use the same 20-80 scale, wouldn't surprise me if they did), but without that, you can just forget it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#255 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Jas0nMacIsaac, if you don't mind me asking I have a few random questions. Where do scouts prefer to sit at games? Or is it really different scout to scout? Also, would you say most scouts jot down notes on paper or is there a decent mix of them that bring laptops into games? Thanks!

I used paper but many have both laptop and paper. I would rather sit in the pressbox and most scouts will go there. You see the whole game and aren't as attached to the puck.

#256 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Jason: Yeah that makes sense, although I'd want more than 3 games. I also think ranking prospects in a big group is a fool's errand. I know the Devils rank prospects qualitatively a la old school baseball scouting (dunno if they use the same 20-80 scale, wouldn't surprise me if they did), but without that, you can just forget it.

I ranked it the way they wanted it to be ranked...ala stupid top 20 lists. I prefer tier system myself. I never tried the 20-80 scale last year but it would be easy to do...I essentially did that in my head as is.

#257 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Who did/do you scout for?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#258 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

Who did/do you scout for?

Future Considerations.

#259 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Future Considerations.

Do scouts always wear black when they go to games?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#260 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,505 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Do scouts always wear black when they go to games?

No lol, I don't scout anymore. I couldn't guaranteed the amount of games needed while I joined the Navy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users