congrats to the 2013-14 Champs, the Kings

msweet

That's Adam Graves. Even he probably realizes how ridiculous it is lol.

Yeah, he kind of looks a little embarrassed. 

They retired his number for his 507 career points as a Rag.

In fairness, it was more than that, and besides, if you're going to get into a whole points thing, one could wonder how a guy like Ken Daneyko gets his number retired (I'm not saying he shouldn't have, just saying that not every jersey retirement can be measured strictly on numbers).

Graves was a class act and a very good player for them overall.  He got the absolute most out of his ability...did anyone think he could ever score 52 goals, or crack 30+ three other times?  He spent 10 seasons there, played in 772 games and averaged 29.7 goals per 82 GP, and rarely missed games (only 16 total in those 10 seasons).  He also was well-known and respected for all of the good he did OFF the ice during his Rangers' tenure...he's the kind of guy you want representing your brand.

Look, the Rangers definitely go too far sometimes with finding excuses to dust off all things 1994 for sure, but I don't lump Graves into that category.  I think he deserved to have his number retired, even if he wasn't a spectacular player, and he meant a lot to that franchise and its fanbase.  I can't kill the Rangers on that one. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yeah and they retired #9 twice. I don't think I've ever seen a number retired twice for two different players by the same franchise before.

Yankees...Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra (#8).

I actually don't mind 3 of the 4 of the "Big Four" of the 1994 Rags.  The only one I hate is that dopey-looking bald bastard with the constant stream of tears in his eyes.

I'm OK with 2 of the 4 

eff Mess and Richter (Richter insulted NJ on a few occaisions)

Leetch...meh

Graves...OK, I'm sure we all know the story of the kids he helped out and the one he brought to the Garden to meet any ranger he wanted and the kid wanted to meet Marty, so Graves said OK, lets go meet him, and they did, the kid was so happy about it. Good little story

I'm OK with 2 of the 4 

Leetch...meh

Graves...OK, I'm sure we all know the story of the kids he helped out and the one he brought to the Garden to meet any ranger he wanted and the kid wanted to meet Marty, so Graves said OK, lets go meet him, and they did, the kid was so happy about it. Good little story

What did Richter say about NJ?  I honestly do not remember.

I'm OK with 2 of the 4

Leetch...meh

I actually didn't know that story, but it gives me even more respect for Graves. He was a classy player on and off the ice and a better person. As much as I hate the Rags, you have to love a guy like Adam Graves. He's good friends with DeBoer too from what I've heard. I think they may have come up together in juniors around the same time.

I actually didn't know that story, but it gives me even more respect for Graves. He was a classy player on and off the ice and a better person. As much as I hate the Rags, you have to love a guy like Adam Graves. He's good friends with DeBoer too from what I've heard. I think they may have come up together in juniors around the same time.

heres a little article on it

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/02/09/sports/sports-of-the-times-heartbreak-strikes-good-people.html

Always respected Graves. Messier was/is a freaking tool. Leetch played the game hard, and was one of the few Americans who didn't trash their rooms in Nagano, same with Richter. I can over look the trash talking in regards to East Rutherford.

oh and Go Kings Go! End this crap tonight.