GDT - February 3, 2014: 7:30pm Colorado Avalanche vs New Jersey Devils

Mike Brown

Merrill, Harold, gionta, bernier, and some other sh!t stain are the players PDB puts on the ice under 3 mins? How many other teams would put a 21 yr old kid, a guy who hasn't played since the 70s in Harold, and three fourth liners on the ice in such a critical spot? All that was missing was Salvador.

Good news is, Schneider is everything we hoped he would be... That's all I've got.

And we need to keep running with him.  I originally wanted Marty to start on Friday or Saturday, but we need all the wins we can get.  I'm sure Marty's gonna get one of the games though.

No we're not.  Good grief are people over dramatic.

They're not right at this moment...but they're reaching a tipping point.  When you look at the WC standings and the GP per team, it gets a little uglier:

Montreal:  56 GP, 64 Pts

Detroit:  56 GP, 62 Pts

Philadelphia:  57 GP, 62 Pts

Carolina:  54 GP, 59 Pts

Ottawa:  56 GP, 59 Pts

Washington:  56 GP, 59 Pts

Devils:  57 GP, 59 Pts

They're really on the outside looking in more than they appear.  Everyone except Philly has at least one game in hand on them.  By Friday, these standings are probably going to look a lot worse...it's never a good thing when you have to hope this team loses and that team loses, and that's the position the Devils are now in.  There's obviously still time, but now the Devils REALLY need to go on a real winning streak, where they actually get 2 points each game for 4-5 straight games.  They also need to beat Washington, and then beat Detroit in both games after the break (it's not a true home-and-home, as Detroit has a game against the Avs in between their two games against the Devils, while the Devils play Detroit back-to-back).  If they do that, then maybe there's something there.  I'm not giving up on them, but at the same time, they're a hard team to take seriously, and it's even more maddening that they don't win games even when they're doing almost everything right.  They haven't been more than two games over NHL .500 all season, and though I've pointed out that their overall point% over their last several games in pretty good, they're still only 3-3-3 in their last nine...yet again they're spinning their wheels.  Cory is helping them avoid pointless streaks at least, but the Devils just have too many guys prone to long scoring droughts and cold spells, and they've shown no ability to get enough guys going at the same time.    

Who makes the decsion to keep Larsson in the AHl & play Harold?  I want their head on a platter!!

& LL needs to take some hits for not finding more scoring.

Veterans aren't subject to PDB's "Mess up once, and you're benched for the rest of the game" methods like kids are.

I'd almost wager that Larsson is getting more valuable experience down in the AHL than up here with PDB.

Can't fault Pete for having the cbgb line out- they absolutely dominated all game, and often against colorado's top line. They just got stuck out there and had no gas left. If there is any blame then it should be on the henrique line for not getting it deep after the goal which led to the duchene breakaway/penalty/pp goal.

Also mike I don't know what you were watching because the pp looked great just couldn't finish, but that was the story the entire game. If we have that kind of pp it's gotta convert at a high rate because it was very very good especially in the first 2 chances.

Who makes the decsion to keep Larsson in the AHl & play Harold?  I want their head on a platter!!

& LL needs to take some hits for not finding more scoring.

I honestly think Gelinas and Larsson are getting full time in Albany because Lou is going to move a few defensemen on the big team.

He did it in Boston with about 1:45 left, but we happened to have a 5-on-3 at that point, so pulling the goalie to make it a 6-on-3 wasn't really a bold, outside the box move.

To many on this board, it really was.

Pete has always been fairly aggressive pulling the goalie. Maybe he didn't have the perfect situation set up like Roy did last night with the long shift and the 4th line. But he has made enough aggressive moves.

To many on this board, it really was.

Pete has always been fairly aggressive pulling the goalie. Maybe he didn't have the perfect situation set up like Roy did last night with the long shift and the 4th line. But he has made enough aggressive moves.

Pete has made some good strategy moves like that. The problem with moves like what Roy pulled last night is they are ingenious when they work. If the Devils put it in the empty net with 2 minutes to go, he looks like an idiot and we're spending today talking about how it was too soon while fans on some Aves board call for his head.

Roy out coached PDB. Pulling the goalienwith 2:30 left was something Pete could never fathom, but on the stretch then Devils have been on, and the players that were on the nice, it was a great move

DeBoer's done that at least 4-5 times in the past few years.

As for last night, yes, he was out-coached in that single moment, but to say he'd never do something like that is just not true because he has (and was one of the first I've ever seen do it with 2-3 minutes left).

What are you all talking about? I honestly can't recall one time Pete's pulled the goalie at 2:30 with a one goal lead.

I'll give you Boston this year, even though the circumstances were different, but other than that, he isn't the kind of coach to make aggressive moves like that, he's the kind of coach that leaves a 5 foot 7 forward out there at the games most crucial moment.

I wouldn't mind him stopping a few pucks with the other team's goalie pulled. Three games in a row? Really?

How about the team gets the puck out of the zone every once in awhile!! or maybe gets an insurance goal with the ridiculous amount of cahnces they have had!!

How do you blame Corey when he was perfect for 58 minutes??

What are you all talking about? I honestly can't recall one time Pete's pulled the goalie at 2:30 with a one goal lead.

I'll give you Boston this year, even though the circumstances were different, but other than that, he isn't the kind of coach to make aggressive moves like that, he's the kind of coach that leaves a 5 foot 7 forward out there at the games most crucial moment.

Pete is agressive with pulling the goalie down TWO goals.  He's fairly conventional with it down one goal, other than the Boston example which was maybe 30-45 seconds 'early'.