Zidane to the Red Bulls

Jimmy Leeds

You must believe me. Zizou will never played again !

(no link with the headbutt... he already say that he will retire after the world cup... and he always do what he say). I'm not the better fan of Zizou but i must admit that !

Even for big bucks or for big boobs (he is married and is a "old fashion husband".. not his style to cheat his wife) (of just watch boobs is not cheat) (isn't ?) (you know what i mean) (yeah ?) (please !)

In a side note, when i was young... i play with Zidane during some training.

I play in the same club (he was already a pro of course and i'm a young.. but some pro play with young time to time)

He is such a cool man !

(and of course, a great player)

(aaaand a GREAT teacher with young)

OK. I hope Zidane stays retired. The Red Bulls need a striker more than another midfielder anyhow. Josmer Altidore can't do it all at age 17!

Uh...what?

I always say if it's open, it's fair game; but I am constantly alone.

Are you kidding, there is no player int he workd I'd rqther have then Zizou.. i doubt it wil lhappen, but it wouod be great if ti did...

Saw this on ESPN, seems like Zizou might make a return appearance.. for the right price...

Return of the Kingby: Jen Chang

posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 | Print Entry

Considering all the negativity in some quarters over the $10 million or so annual salary that David Beckham will be receiving to suit up for the L.A. Galaxy this summer, one can only imagine that those same pessimists are having a field day with the rumors that legendary (and retired) French star Zinedine Zidane is contemplating renewing his career in MLS -- provided that his prospective employers meet his asking price of at least $15 million per year.

Expect renewed proselytizing about how Zidane's signing will doom MLS to follow down the debt-ridden and financially irresponsible footsteps of the defunct NASL. However, since the Chicago Fire and New York Red Bulls are the teams said to be heavily in pursuit, financial considerations aren't really a huge concern given the deep pockets of both teams' monetary backing.

The bigger issue is just how serious Zidane is about playing in America and whether or not he's actually worth the money. Call Zidane the anti-Beckham if you will -- his signing definitely won't generate the type of media and pop culture buzz across all platforms that Beckham's did (although his infamous head butt in the World Cup final will continue to be a drawn-out theme, at least initially), but he offers a lot more substance and credibility on the field.

In sharp contrast to Beckham, Zidane is a name that will finally resonate with the hardcore avid soccer fan in the U.S. that so far has refused to tune in or pay attention to MLS. Unlike Becks, Zidane was indeed at one point undeniably the world's best player and although no longer the player he was in his prime, he still has the capacity to crank it up and control the tempo, as we found out in the World Cup. As for his playing impact in MLS, it's a pretty safe bet that a motivated Zidane will likely lead his team to the MLS Cup provided he stays healthy.

Will he sign? It probably boils down to three factors:

1. Money -- regardless of the usual athlete spiel about how money isn't an important factor, we all know it is. Zidane's advisers have said that Zidane won't even countenance beginning talks unless they start at the $15 million per season range.

2. His legacy -- we've seen how some great athletes have chosen to risk/spoil what had been perfect career endings to unretire (witness Michael Jordan coming back and giving up his dream legacy of winning a championship with his last shot in the NBA). This being the case, one can only assume that Zidane can't be happy that his last play in soccer was the head butt on Marco Materazzi that got him red-carded in the World Cup final. Maybe the legacy of finishing his career in MLS isn't the most romantic notion either, but it's got to be better than what he's currently remembered for.

3. His wife Veronique -- at the end of the day, even after taking both the above factors into account, Zidane's decision might well rest on how his wife feels about living in America. His move from Juventus to Real Madrid in 2001 was in large part due to his wife's desire at the time to live in Spain.

If Zidane does sign with MLS (and it's obviously still a huge long-shot at this point), MLS will have pulled off two of the greatest coups in soccer history in one offseason. In Beckham, it already has the most marketable player and in Zidane it would have one of the greatest in the game's history with arguably the greatest legacy in terms of winning.

If you were to draw up a wish list scenario of any three players that MLS could have, those two would be it, with Ronaldinho probably the third. Two out of three isn't half bad and even just a few months ago appeared to be just a pipe dream.

I would deny to have say that.

Seriously, he will gain more money outside soccer now (huge ad contract, involved into a big big business etc etc... ) and if it's "only for the game", he will not choose your league (not to critized your league!)

The few time you will zidane with soccer shoes it will be for excibition or tribute game.

Are we talking about the same guy?? His short temper has been well documented.

does not matter though, I want him in the MLS.. temper an all...

havent followed soccer too much. i always knew he was great... didnt know about his temper... ask me anything about the italian team and i can tell you... no one else though haha