Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

This song is like an old shirt that's been through the wash one too many times. Sure I liked it a lot at one point, but its all faded and has a few holes in it. By that virtue alone Id use it a justification to replace it. Especially if I'be been wearing it for 20 years.

I don't get why this is such a hot button with some people. This is what it must feel like trying to convince Ron Dugay to stop wearing leisure suits

• Like 1

As I said on HF a great potential goal song would be the new Stone Temple Pilots track "Out of Time".  Maybe it's because I'm an STP fanboy but imagine that clock winding down, we score and the whole arena chants "OOOOOOH YOU CAN'T HIDE, OOOOOO YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!" That would be intimidating as hell to another team.

As I said on HF a great potential goal song would be the new Stone Temple Pilots track "Out of Time".  Maybe it's because I'm an STP fanboy but imagine that clock winding down, we score and the whole arena chants "OOOOOOH YOU CAN'T HIDE, OOOOOO YOU'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!" That would be intimidating as hell to another team.

And stp (the DeLeo's) are Jersey boys as well.

Agreed. Philly fans act like complete morons, Ranger fans act like dicks...why do we have to be the fanbase that turns the other cheek? Not really any pride is being courteous pussies...

Why do we have to be the fanbase that points at the Rangers and Flyers to justify our own behavior?  F*ck that sh*t, we're BETTER than that.  We don't have to sink to anywhere close to their level, nor should we.

The you suck chant is taken way too literal.

Chant it if you like it or don't if you don't like it. It shouldn't be any more complex then that.

Clearly the majority of the fans like the chant because the majority of the arena does it.

Except those of us who don't like it still have to listen to everyone else chanting it.  It's not like blocking someone on Twitter; not liking it doesn't magically prevent the sound from reaching our ears.

Hiphop hurray is cute but it sort of like a stoner goal chant, awfully low key - but it's my favorite of all those mentioned so far.

I like it too, but unlike a lot of the other goal songs out there, it didn't age well.

I think people are over-analyzing this.  I don't see how this shows an inferiority complex, it's just something people say when the Devils' offense prevails over the other team's defense.  The people who think this shows an inferiority complex seem to be way too self-conscious to me.  Also, it is not meant to be taken so literally regarding the score of the game.  It doesn't matter what the score is, it's just something that is attached to the crowd's goal celebration whether the team is winning or losing.  If you want to be literal about it, then there is never a correct context to say "you suck" since obviously nobody in the NHL sucks at hockey.

And who cares what other fans think of us?  We don't want to be a$$holes in the stands starting fights and stuff, but if other fanbases are thinking of us as some low class trashy people just because we say "you suck" then that's their problem for being so uptight and serious.  Nashville's fans do the same exact thing and have you ever heard anyone criticize their fanbase for it?  I've never even heard anyone criticize Devils fans over this except for other Devils fans.  This is not a big deal.

Edited by devilsfan26
  • Like 1

Agree with those who think the "You suck" thing gets overanalyzed.  It is what it is.  The Rangers suck/Islanders swallow thing is much lamer.  I don't parttake in either chant...when the Devils score, I do the "HEY!", and stop there. 

I have a 5-year-old daughter, and she has grown up a lot the past year...enough that I'm hoping to take her to at least 4-5 games this season.  That means she's going to hear the "You suck" chant and her share of other things I wouldn't want her to repeat...that being said, I don't expect the world to sanitize itself in her presence, and never will.  It's not the world's job to raise my daughter, it's mine...which means it's on me to explain why I don't think a 5-year-old should be joining in the "You suck" chant after a goal. 

Obviously a LOT of people get into the "You suck" thing...it wouldn't be so noticably audible otherwise.  I'm not one to tell people how to behave at a sporting event, though I do think it's kind of sad that some home-team ticketholders think that buying a ticket allows them to do ANYTHING they want...like Flyers fans sucker-punching opposing teams' fans who dare to enter "their house", which is as Neanderthal as it gets.  If a clear majority of Devils' fans enjoy "You suck", I'm not going to say "Hey, cut that out."  But if the Devil organization decides that they don't like it for whatever the reasons, they're within their rights too.  Guess it kind of comes down to what's more important:  yelling "You suck!", or keeping R&R Part 2 as the goal song...but it looks like the franchise may have already made its decision.  Of course, the Devils could do a parental warning-type thing on their website...basically stating something along the lines of "Either cease and desist with the 'you suck' chant, or we go with a new goal song...your choice", but I can't see them going that route.  But it IS clear that, though some fans like it (apparently a majority), some don't, and some are indifferent, the FRANCHISE doesn't like it...and of course, in the end they have the final say.   

The main problem with dumping R&R Part 2 is that, when this was tried previously, something was clearly lost.  Zombie Nation flat-out blows as a goal song, as does Ole.  I don't necessarily think R&R Part 2 is the be-all, end-all of all goal songs (several other organizations do just fine without it), but if the Devils are really going to dump it for good, they've got to find something as universal appealing to Devils' fans.  That means really going out there to find some truly good choices and involving the fans every step of the way...Zombie Nation and Ole can't be part of the discussion...those songs failed.             

This debate is stupid.

We're fans of a game that allows bare-knuckle brawls. When one of our players takes a stick to the face, we hope he bleeds so our power play will be four minutes instead of just two. He make heroes of players who scramble other players' brains because the hits were within the parameters of the rules at the time.

We're fans of the most brutal, savage game on the continent. And we're getting all bent out of shape over the word "suck".

Yeah, this debate is stupid. Painfully stupid.

I think people are over-analyzing this.  I don't see how this shows an inferiority complex, it's just something people say when the Devils' offense prevails over the other team's defense.  The people who think this shows an inferiority complex seem to be way too self-conscious to me.  Also, it is not meant to be taken so literally regarding the score of the game.  It doesn't matter what the score is, it's just something that is attached to the crowd's goal celebration whether the team is winning or losing.  If you want to be literal about it, then there is never a correct context to say "you suck" since obviously nobody in the NHL sucks at hockey.

And who cares what other fans think of us?  We don't want to be a$$holes in the stands starting fights and stuff, but if other fanbases are thinking of us as some low class trashy people just because we say "you suck" then that's their problem for being so uptight and serious.  Nashville's fans do the same exact thing and have you ever heard anyone criticize their fanbase for it?  I've never even heard anyone criticize Devils fans over this except for other Devils fans.  This is not a big deal.

Bingo, this guy gets it, 100%.

This debate is stupid.

We're fans of a game that allows bare-knuckle brawls. When one of our players takes a stick to the face, we hope he bleeds so our power play will be four minutes instead of just two. He make heroes of players who scramble other players' brains because the hits were within the parameters of the rules at the time.

We're fans of the most brutal, savage game on the continent. And we're getting all bent out of shape over the word "suck".

Can't argue this.  The only reason it's really coming up (this time) though is because it looks like the word "suck" (fairly innocuous in the grand scheme these days) is going to cost the Devil fanbase its goal song of the last two decades (even further if you want to go all the way back to when the Rockies were the first team to use it).  Though there's clearly some fans that flat-out don't like "you suck", I think the majority either enjoyed it or was indifferent (I'm in the latter crowd). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's meant to be directed towards the other team.  It just doesn't feel like a celebration to me - that your celebration is focused on the other team.  And it's very stupid to chant it when you're down 4-1.  Either the words have meaning or they don't, and you're arguing they don't - if they don't, why did people start doing it?

No one cares about Nashville's fans, and at least in Nashville, they play a celebration song before they go into their 'You Suck' chant (which has verses and stuff and I've never been able to make it out).  I don't care if people think Devils fans are trashy, and indeed, no one cares enough about Devils fans either to deconstruct this chant (besides other Devils fans), but yeah, it is part of the inferiority complex.

This debate is stupid.

It's not a matter of being offended because of a naughty word or somehow being mean.  It's just stupid, and it, as Tri noted, gets particularly idiotic when we're down 3-0.  

It's the equivalent of a Sterling canned homerun call.  It completely ruins the moment.   

This debate is stupid.

Again it is not the word suck that is an issue.  It is how embarassing it is when we are down 4-0 and then we score one with 4 minutes left in the game and half the arena does the "you suck" chant to the other team.  I just want to hide my face with embarassment during that.

Plus the "you suck" part is not this long-standing tradition.  It was never done at all before about 2007 in the last season at the CAA and first season at the Rock.

Also when people are saying that most of the crowd does it, people really mean its the 12-27 crowd doing it.  The higher the age, the less likely I see the fan doing the "you suck" chant.  Point is it is a childish chant that is mostly done by the high-school and college age fans who are trying to turn the game into a sh!tty college atmosphore (a la the Diablos) with a gigantic inferiority complex who grew up only knowing Devils winning championships and making the playoffs every year.

It's not a matter of being offended because of a naughty word or somehow being mean.  It's just stupid, and it, as Tri noted, gets particularly idiotic when we're down 3-0.  

It's the equivalent of a Sterling canned homerun call.  It completely ruins the moment.   

Bingo!  Its not the word that I have an issue with, its how it is completely idiotic and childish.

I think people are over-analyzing this. I don't see how this shows an inferiority complex, it's just something people say when the Devils' offense prevails over the other team's defense. The people who think this shows an inferiority complex seem to be way too self-conscious to me. Also, it is not meant to be taken so literally regarding the score of the game. It doesn't matter what the score is, it's just something that is attached to the crowd's goal celebration whether the team is winning or losing. If you want to be literal about it, then there is never a correct context to say "you suck" since obviously nobody in the NHL sucks at hockey.

And who cares what other fans think of us? We don't want to be a$$holes in the stands starting fights and stuff, but if other fanbases are thinking of us as some low class trashy people just because we say "you suck" then that's their problem for being so uptight and serious. Nashville's fans do the same exact thing and have you ever heard anyone criticize their fanbase for it? I've never even heard anyone criticize Devils fans over this except for other Devils fans. This is not a big deal.

+1

It's a song that gets out fans singing and into it together. Who cares what's being said. We could all be chanting the words to Sesame Street as long as people are having a good time singing along. Attendance was up a ton last year, as was the atmosphere. I hope they don't change this song just because of some over thought perception of a complex due to the words.

Edited by devlman

+1

It's a so h that gets out fans singing and into it together. Who cares what's being said. We could all be chanting the words to Sesame Street as long as people are having a good time singing along. Attendance was up a ton last year, as was the atmosphere. I hope they don't change this song just because of some over thought perception of a complex due to the words.

That was because the Devils had a ton of deals going on for dirt-cheap seats and coming off a Stanley Cup Finals run also helps things a bit.

What was wrong with just people saying "Hey" during the song and just stop it right there?  I remember saying that back in the 2000 and 2003 finals at CAA and it was deafening and without the complete inferiority complex (sorry it is a complex when Devils fans are still getting bent out of shape with everything other teams do) coming out by adding "you suck" at the end.

That was because the Devils had a ton of deals going on for dirt-cheap seats and coming off a Stanley Cup Finals run also helps things a bit.

What was wrong with just people saying "Hey" during the song and just stop it right there?  I remember saying that back in the 2000 and 2003 finals at CAA and it was deafening and without the complete inferiority complex (sorry it is a complex when Devils fans are still getting bent out of shape with everything other teams do) coming out by adding "you suck" at the end.

I hear ya. Theres an argument to be made each way on it. I just wouldnt want to have goals like this without a hearty 'you suck' being voiced by the crowd lol

Nope, clearly you do and you just don't realize it.  Can't enjoy this chant without having some inner complex, apparently  :rolleyes:

Nashville just has nothing better to do.

Go to any Rangers versus anyone else than the Devils game.  Listen to how many whistles and chants they sing about the Devils.  I'll tell you how many: Zero.

Go to any Devils versus anyone but the Rangers game and I hear the Rangers suck whistle at least twice a period, I hear the Devils fans sing If you know the Rangers suck to the song "If you're happy and you know it." at least every game.  Not only that, but I see people with jerseys customized with the Rangers logo saying "Rangers suck" as well as Ranger Suck as the name on the back.  Hell there is even a guy with a jersey I have seen a few times with "Rangerssuckov"

Yup, Devils fans are perfectly comfortable and have no inferiority complex at all :whistling:  :rolleyes:

Edited by DevsMan84

it's like that little organ tune they don't play anymore...because it leads to the whole arena yelling "RANGERS SUCK". somehow that's considered "classless" and god fobid hockey fans don't show class so they banned the organ player from playing it. weak.