GDT: NJ Devils @ VAN Canucks- 10:00

MartysGlove

We are just not generating any quality scoring chances, and other teams are punnishing every single one of our mistakes.

Combine the two and you end up with a hell of a lot of L's.

Did anyone notice JMacs face after the first goal, he was almost smiling, kind of to say "yeah , thats about what i expected to happen"

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are just not generating any quality scoring chances, and other teams are punnishing every single one of our mistakes.

Combine the two and you end up with a hell of a lot of L's.

Did anyone notice JMacs face after the first goal, he was almost smiling, kind of to say "yeah , thats about what i expected to happen"

Did you see everyone's face after the first goal. Tao slips, causes a turnover, Brodeur gets his stick ripped out of his hands and a half second later the red light is on. Pretty typical of things. The look on JMac's face was, "I knew something like that was coming".

Craig Button on NHL On The Fly stated it best:

"One thing I noticed when I watched the Devils was it looked like Atlanta were when they had Kovalchuk. It's all about Ilya."

You can say what you want about Button never playing, but he and others see it. What is the common denominator between Atlanta's struggles before this year and the Devils struggles this year. You cannot blame one guy for the lack fo scoring, but I get the feeling that no one on the Devils really wants to play with him.

I wonder how Leblond felt when he had to sit in on that stupid press conference when they signed him. You know he was told he would be "protecting" Kovalchuk for the peanuts he was making.

Kovalchuk is a cancerous growth.

Craig Button on NHL On The Fly stated it best:

"One thing I noticed when I watched the Devils was it looked like Atlanta were when they had Kovalchuk. It's all about Ilya."

You can say what you want about Button never playing, but he and others see it. What is the common denominator between Atlanta's struggles before this year and the Devils struggles this year. You cannot blame one guy for the lack fo scoring, but I get the feeling that no one on the Devils really wants to play with him.

I wonder how Leblond felt when he had to sit in on that stupid press conference when they signed him. You know he was told he would be "protecting" Kovalchuk for the peanuts he was making.

Kovalchuk is a cancerous growth.

I have been saying this since last December.

That still doesn't explain the last four seasons....

Each year offers it's own set of problems. Some overlap and some do not. There is not one answer for each year either.

Kovalchuk was brough in to help the powerplay and has done nothing to help. If anything he has hurt it by playing around with the puck. He certainly has not scored last year or this year on it or given assists to others that have. While it certainly not entirely his fault, you'd think he could've put one or two in the net with the chances he's been given. The cough-ups, poor passing, and the bad decision making just don't add up to all the cash-money he got. I did scratch my head when they played LA; why did they boo him? They should've applauded the Devils taking him and them not being stuck with him. He just doesn't help the team and is far from being a team guy.

I cannot comment about Aam Oates. I have no idea what ideas has or has been using. The style looks very similar to what it was so where he helped, I just don't know.

I never liked the trade either, but we are stuck with him. And people compalain about Rolston making too much.

Don't worry...Tri will soon post some sabermetric hocus-pocus that will prove that Kovy's really been swell since coming here, despite what we continue to see from him, and ben00rs will continue to believe that Kovy will suddenly become a terrific all-around player because...well, ben00rs says it will happen, so it must be true.

Don't worry...Tri will soon post some sabermetric hocus-pocus that will prove that Kovy's really been swell since coming here, despite what we continue to see from him, and ben00rs will continue to believe that Kovy will suddenly become a terrific all-around player because...well, ben00rs says it will happen, so it must be true.

+1.

Tri will make-up some irrelevant stat that actually shows we are undefeated this year and will set new records for team scoring by Thanksgiving.

Probably dating myself here, but for anyone who's ever seen "An Officer and a Gentleman" (early 80s), there's a climactic scene where Louis Gossett Jr's character finally and completely breaks down Richard Gere's character. I think this is what needs to happen w/Kovy...I think every aspect of his game has to be torn down and completely rebuilt from the ground up...I don't even care whether the many flaws in his game are the result of bad coaching in Atlanta, Kovy not trying to improve...what's been done to this point can't be undone, but he's the Devils' problem for a long long time...whatever it takes, I hope this organization can find a way to sand off Kovy's many rough edges.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

he hasn't been very good lately. that doesn't mean that he has all of the sudden become a bad player. there's a lot more blame to go around.

i also like how failed GMs like milbury, maclean, and button are commenting on this. i can't wait until phil esposito offers up his opinion. maybe we can get a word from rejean houle.

Edited by Triumph

Admittedly he has yet to look like even a 20 million dollar player.

To be fair to myself, I never thought he'd become a terrific all-around player just a lot better at defense, perhaps even very good (if you can find a post of mine where I've said different then touche). It's become clear that if this team isn't clicking then Kovy won't be clicking either. Kovy clearly can't carry this team alone. But there is NO way that his play doesn't pick up soon. I still think he finishes the season with 40+ goals. The answer will come in the form of him playing with Elias.

The problem with this team right now is Andy Greene and Henrik Tallinder right now. Both are playing terrible.