Devils interest in Dustin brown

caron14

Lombardi is bad at his job. It's really baffling. I can easily see what he's doing:

Lombardi: Brown is available!

Other GM's: Hey Dean, we're interested... what kind of package are you looking for.

Lombardi: Brown is NOT available!

Other GM's: But you just said...

Lombardi: I know! I just realized how important he is to this team! So if you want Brown, you have to offer up something extra special to pry him away.

Trying to drive up the trade value of his own players and it's ridiculous. Dean, you're an idiot. You have one of the worst offensive teams in the league and you're trying to make the playoffs. It's probably NOT a good idea to trade your captain and one of your most reliable consistent players.

I keep thinking it started as four years too (three left), but (N)Єverson maintains it's this year or next year. Then again he seems to think Palmeri's on a one-way contract making $1.2 million :P

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2010-09-13-devils-kovalchuk-fine_N.htm

"The Devils will give up a third-round pick in 2011 and one first-rounder — the club's choice — over the next four years."

(N)Єverson's an idiot. The Devils have until 2014.

Lombardi is bad at his job. It's really baffling. I can easily see what he's doing:

Lombardi: Brown is available!

Other GM's: Hey Dean, we're interested... what kind of package are you looking for.

Lombardi: Brown is NOT available!

Other GM's: But you just said...

Lombardi: I know! I just realized how important he is to this team! So if you want Brown, you have to offer up something extra special to pry him away.

Trying to drive up the trade value of his own players and it's ridiculous. Dean, you're an idiot. You have one of the worst offensive teams in the league and you're trying to make the playoffs. It's probably NOT a good idea to trade your captain and one of your most reliable consistent players.

I personally dont blame Lombardi for this one. I think what happened is what McKenzie said. Basically Lombardi was gauging value for Brown privately and word leaked out. Its perfectly fine to gauge someone's trade value no matter who. Once word went wide, he was quick to quash it.

Thats not giving him a pass for some of his baffling statements prior to this whole thing, but it sounds like a leak that went out of control. It seemingly motivated Brown though.