Sat, Dec 14 Tampa Bay at New Jersey7:00 MSG+ (Snow Edition))

DevilMinder

And it was easily Brodeur's worst game of the year, he let in 3 awful goals, and afterwards he talked about the net going to Schneider and all that.

But this game against Tampa was great.  I can't really explain it.  One thing I will say is that this is a game where NJ did the opposite what their critics usually accuse them of doing - the Devils didn't put up a ton of shots, but they got 4 breakaways and capitalized on the chances they got.  Meanwhile Tampa had a lot of shots and attempts at net but they didn't put up a ton of scoring chances.  I bet chances were close to even.  Nice to see NJ play that sort of game.

Yes, it was a very odd game for the Devils, but I'm pretty sure the short term reward (two points) will hurt the team going forward (more Marty). 

I too braved the weather and made it to the game that night. It did have some more fans in there than I thought would be there. 

The biggest reactions from the crowd came from Marty's big saves on St.Louis and Kucherov and from the great Santa in a Hawaiian shirt in section 6. 

I couldn't tell the fan reaction to goals cause the goal song remix drowned them out, with the exception of the 'You Suck' tagged on the end, LOL!

Overall a decent night though, great to see them play like that especially on a 2nd night of a back 2 back.

On a side note, where the hell were the Devils Dancers??? I saw a couple of em during the 1st period then they ghosted....

I too braved the weather and made it to the game that night. It did have some more fans in there than I thought would be there. 

The biggest reactions from the crowd came from Marty's big saves on St.Louis and Kucherov and from the great Santa in a Hawaiian shirt in section 6. 

I couldn't tell the fan reaction to goals cause the goal song remix drowned them out, with the exception of the 'You Suck' tagged on the end, LOL!

Overall a decent night though, great to see them play like that especially on a 2nd night of a back 2 back.

On a side note, where the hell were the Devils Dancers??? I saw a couple of em during the 1st period then they ghosted....

It seems like there has been an effort made to minimize the role of NJ Devil and the Dancers this season.  At least from my perspective, NJ is rarely seen during timeouts, other than when he throws the T-shirts.  He doesn't really try to start any cheers with the drum.

The Dancers don't even have dance routines anymore.  When they do have a dance routine, it is 1 time in between the first and second period.  Seems like they are being completely phased out, along with Earl and his dance party.

It seems like there has been an effort made to minimize the role of NJ Devil and the Dancers this season.  At least from my perspective, NJ is rarely seen during timeouts, other than when he throws the T-shirts.  He doesn't really try to start any cheers with the drum.

The Dancers don't even have dance routines anymore.  When they do have a dance routine, it is 1 time in between the first and second period.  Seems like they are being completely phased out, along with Earl and his dance party.

The Dancers dance more on the ends now instead of their little area in the corner.  I think it;s a lot better as they are closer to the crowd and not hidden away in their little private area away from the fans.  I also see them more in the aisles in the lower level so I see them closer and even more now.

I think they knew the dance routines were going nowhere as their former choreographer was not that good to say the least (she left before last season to start her own studio in Hillsborough).  Their new choreographer is a little better and their song selection is a lot better too for their routines.

I also see them more on the concourse by the entrances to greet people with a nice touch.  Honestly, I think I see them more now than before and thankfully not the in-your-face type of seeing them.

As for NJ Devil, while I like him I too was getting tired of seeing him after literally every whistle.  It was getting a bit much.

The Dancers dance more on the ends now instead of their little area in the corner.  I think it;s a lot better as they are closer to the crowd and not hidden away in their little private area away from the fans.  I also see them more in the aisles in the lower level so I see them closer and even more now.

I think they knew the dance routines were going nowhere as their former choreographer was not that good to say the least (she left before last season to start her own studio in Hillsborough).  Their new choreographer is a little better and their song selection is a lot better too for their routines.

I also see them more on the concourse by the entrances to greet people with a nice touch.  Honestly, I think I see them more now than before and thankfully not the in-your-face type of seeing them.

As for NJ Devil, while I like him I too was getting tired of seeing him after literally every whistle.  It was getting a bit much.

Maybe you're right with the dancers.  From where I sit, you can only see the 4 of them on the far end of the arena at intermittent points during the game.  Other than when they unfurl the flag by the Diablos and toss the t-shirts, you never really see them.  I never see them by the Lafayette Street entrance when I come into the arena.

Oh I been to quite a few home games so far and I did notice the dancers are a little better this season and I saw them on the lower aisles and on the ends behind the goals.

But it stood out this past game that they were totally gone from those posts altogether. I cant say it was the weather cause I did see them in the 1st period.

Regarding the dancers, all 16 are in the building for every game.  Last year they only had a select 8 for each game.  This year they have 4 on each platform behind the nets, and the remaining 8 stay on the main stage.  I think it's cheesy to have dancers / cheerleaders in hockey anyways.  The Devils are the only team with cheerleaders.  I wouldn't mind if they got rid of them.

Regarding the dancers, all 16 are in the building for every game.  Last year they only had a select 8 for each game.  This year they have 4 on each platform behind the nets, and the remaining 8 stay on the main stage.  I think it's cheesy to have dancers / cheerleaders in hockey anyways.  The Devils are the only team with cheerleaders.  I wouldn't mind if they got rid of them.

Not true. I went to the NJ @ Panthers game last season and they have dancers + ice girls there. 

I know the Kings have ice girls as well and a bunch of teams use them as well. Dancers....so far I only seen 2 personally but it wont be something they show on televised gametime.

Not true. I went to the NJ @ Panthers game last season and they have dancers + ice girls there. 

I know the Kings have ice girls as well and a bunch of teams use them as well. Dancers....so far I only seen 2 personally but it wont be something they show on televised gametime.

The Hurricanes use a "storm squad," which is essence the same thing as the Devils Dancers.

Oh.  And I forgot about the Storm Squad.

Still think it's cheesy though.

At least they're not ice girls.  I feel ice girls don't serve a true purpose.  At least the dancers are part of the entertainment.

BTW, my friend's sister was actually a dancer for the Nets for a couple of years.  She actually went to school for dance and whatnot, and she loved it. She's a dance instructor right now, and does mostly hip hop.

Edited by Mike Brown

Oh. And I forgot about the Storm Squad.

Still think it's cheesy though.

At least they're not ice girls. I feel ice girls don't serve a true purpose. At least the dancers are part of the entertainment.

BTW, my friend's sister was actually a dancer for the Nets for a couple of years. She actually went to school for dance and whatnot, and she loved it. She's a dance instructor right now, and does mostly hip hop.

hey hey hey- those ice girls practice their ice shoveling routines very hard. Don't you disparage them or sully their good name!