[Official] Damien Brunner signed to multi-year deal

caron14

No room for him any more. 

We could make roster room for him...  we have the cap space to do it.

Not sure what the implications would be (and it's affect on next years free agents) for next year with the bonuses, etc

Edited by aylbert

Brunner's going to want a shot at top forward time and he's not likely to get that here.  I don't see a spot for him, Lou said he's done with signing people and that he's not likely inviting any tryouts to camp.  He might make a trade, and there's enough smoke to suggest NJ kicked the tires on Brunner, but they went in another direction.

i just hope we dont have to look back at this in a few years and be like "damn look at Brunner now... we should have sign him instead of Jagr"

eventhough i know Jagr will fill a role that we need "now" so its not a good way to look at it but still

Edited by SterioDesign

Brunner's going to want a shot at top forward time and he's not likely to get that here.  I don't see a spot for him, Lou said he's done with signing people and that he's not likely inviting any tryouts to camp.  He might make a trade, and there's enough smoke to suggest NJ kicked the tires on Brunner, but they went in another direction.

Florida usually signs these types of players. Wouldn't be surprised if they still signed him. Or Calgary.

Do the Devils really have a set 1st line? Can't think of another team like ours where there are 3 second lines (as far as skill is concerned, in my opinion). I honestly see more room here for him to flourish and make a 1st line than anywhere else...

Edited by DJ Eco

Doesnt look like we are getting him, but I would still really like him. We would be a cap team if we signed him for sure (unless we somehow got rid of Volchenkov), but i think he would really complete our offense. The way im looking at the lines right now it looks like it could be:

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Henrique-Jagr

Zubrus-Loktionov-Olesz

Carter-Josefson-Bernier

That second line looks really slow with Clowe and Jagr and I would much rather have:

Brunner-Henrique-Jagr

Clowe-Loktionov-Zubrus

Olesz-Carter-Bernier

I know some people don't think theres a spot for him anyway but i think the Devils could make it work.

I'm guessing Lou tried to sign Brunner and when he couldn't reach an agreement went with Jagr.

Works out fine considering next year's UFA group is much better and Lou could end up with someone better than Brunner for long term top 6 RW.

Next years UFA's (obviously most of them won't even make it to July)...

http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=2

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Do the Devils really have a set 1st line? Can't think of another team like ours where there are 3 second lines (as far as skill is concerned, in my opinion). I honestly see more room here for him to flourish and make a 1st line than anywhere else...

That's not what I meant.  Ryder and Jagr are above him on the depth chart.  I don't think Brunner wants to sign with a team that'll put him in the same spot he was in with Detroit.

Doesnt look like we are getting him, but I would still really like him. We would be a cap team if we signed him for sure (unless we somehow got rid of Volchenkov), but i think he would really complete our offense. The way im looking at the lines right now it looks like it could be:

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Clowe-Henrique-Jagr

Zubrus-Loktionov-Olesz

Carter-Josefson-Bernier

That second line looks really slow with Clowe and Jagr and I would much rather have:

Brunner-Henrique-Jagr

Clowe-Loktionov-Zubrus

Olesz-Carter-Bernier

I know some people don't think theres a spot for him anyway but i think the Devils could make it work.

You have two off-wings on the same line which isn't likely to fly here.  Also the Devils didn't sign Ryane Clowe for 5 years to stick him with the 3rd line right away.  In addition, Brunner isn't exactly a burner either.  You've also left Josefson off the starting 12, which means he and Barch are the healthy scratches and Gionta's in the minors?  I doubt it.  Josefson's waiver eligible this year so his days in the minor leagues are likely over.

Adding another forward creates all sorts of complications with the roster as built.  I could see the Devils making a trade for a forward maybe, but just adding one?  I don't think so.

That's not what I meant.  Ryder and Jagr are above him on the depth chart.  I don't think Brunner wants to sign with a team that'll put him in the same spot he was in with Detroit.

You have two off-wings on the same line which isn't likely to fly here.  Also the Devils didn't sign Ryane Clowe for 5 years to stick him with the 3rd line right away.  In addition, Brunner isn't exactly a burner either.  You've also left Josefson off the starting 12, which means he and Barch are the healthy scratches and Gionta's in the minors?  I doubt it.  Josefson's waiver eligible this year so his days in the minor leagues are likely over.

Adding another forward creates all sorts of complications with the roster as built.  I could see the Devils making a trade for a forward maybe, but just adding one?  I don't think so.

which line has two players on their off wings? And the way our team is built I dont think there will be much of a difference in ice time in the top 9. So i dont think its a big deal putting Clowe on the third. I agree with you that they didn't sign him for a 3rd line role, but if its for the betterment of the team then I dont think it will matter to management. Yeah there will be more ice time in the top 6 but i dont see it being much. The lines seem pretty balanced to me. And as ive said before I feel like Josefson is somewhat expendable now that we have Loktionov. 

I think the lines without Brunner will be fine, but I dont think that 3rd line will produce much throughout the season unless we get a better player than Olesz.

Edited by njd3b1ink

All good points

which line has two players on their off wings?

Brunner-Henrique-Jagr.  You have a righty shot on the left wing and lefty shot on the right wing.  You don't see NHL teams doing this except in rare (and dumb) instances (e.g. Kovalchuk-Antropov-Afinogenov in Atlanta).  It creates problems with the breakout and along the boards in the offensive and defensive zone.

Edited by Triumph

Brunner-Henrique-Jagr.  You have a righty shot on the left wing and righty shot on the left wing.  You don't see NHL teams doing this except in rare (and dumb) instances (e.g. Kovalchuk-Antropov-Afinogenov in Atlanta).  It creates problems with the breakout and along the boards in the offensive and defensive zone.

Oh i see what you mean. I thought you meant they werent playing their natural position. I was staring at the lines I posted for a few minutes looking for it haha.