Me & Gordie

Jimmy Leeds

Some of you might remember I wrote about how my friends mother dates/married to (still haven't figure the exact relationship out.....don't want to ask) Mark Howe, recent HOF inductee and son of Gordie.

Well, finally today Gordie showed up at my son's soccer game (our son's play together) in Freehold and I was able to meet Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe.

He's 83 now and very friendly. His hands are friggin' HUGE........he took off the Stanley Cup ring he had on to show one of the boys after the game. Couldn't hear the year, but I think he said 1955. It had the Red Wing logo on the side, and the other side had HOWE and 9...........the ring will be worth a fortune some day.

I basically watched the whole soccer game at his side.

Anyway, it was pretty cool, and those that know me by my real name can see our picture together on Facebook.

Oh, and I offered him my chair that we bring to the games and he sat in it.....!

Cool stuff

Some of you might remember I wrote about how my friends mother dates/married to (still haven't figure the exact relationship out.....don't want to ask) Mark Howe, recent HOF inductee and son of Gordie.

Well, finally today Gordie showed up at my son's soccer game (our son's play together) in Freehold and I was able to meet Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe.

He's 83 now and very friendly. His hands are friggin' HUGE........he took off the Stanley Cup ring he had on to show one of the boys after the game. Couldn't hear the year, but I think he said 1955. It had the Red Wing logo on the side, and the other side had HOWE and 9...........the ring will be worth a fortune some day.

Anyway, it was pretty cool, and those that know me by my real name can see our picture together on Facebook.

Oh, and I offered him my chair that we bring to the games and he sat in it.....!

Cool stuff

I do remember you posting here when you found out that your friend's mom was dating Mark Howe. I even told a few people I know about it. That's so cool that you finally got to meet Mark's dad Gordie, Mr. Hockey himself!

Edited by 95Crash

Awesome story.

Back in the 70s, my Family lived in Houston for a few years. My dad took us to Houston Aeros games a few times which were the first Hockey games I saw in my life. I remember being impressed my about this guy who was playing on the same line with his 2 sons. I had no clue at the time what kind of legend I was watching.

Awesome story.

Back in the 70s, my Family lived in Houston for a few years. My dad took us to Houston Aeros games a few times which were the first Hockey games I saw in my life. I remember being impressed my about this guy who was playing on the same line with his 2 sons. I had no clue at the time what kind of legend I was watching.

Cool stuff.

Awesome! So what did he have to say about hockey stuff? Did you ask him about his opinion on the Finals, the Devils, general state of the game, anything?

Well, put it this way..........when I was introduced as a big fan, which we all are, he mentioned something about Bobby Orr......he talked very low and was hard to understand so I smiled and chuckled uncomfortably.

I asked if he watched the game last night (this was Sunday), and I have no idea what he said. My guess is he is well in bed by the time the game's half over.

I was kind of warned that his age has taken a toll. Very, very friendly with the young boys when they came off the field. He was also carrying his dog with him......the dog was 17 years old!

Doesn't Mark Howe work for the Red Wings as a scout? When I got a tour of the Rock and we were up in the rafters where the press and scouts sit, he was on the list as part of the Red Wings org.

Back in 1995 I watched the Devils win the Stanley Cup against the Wings in Parry Sound, the birthplace of Bobby Orr which is proudly proclaimed on every sign you see driving into the city.

When I was living in Toronto, I used to watch a lot of old hockey on Leafs TV, because they replay whole games from when they were winning Cups in the 60s. They beat the Wings in Detroit to win a Cup, and during the post-game celebrations on the ice which involved a person with a microphone interviewing Leafs players over the PA system, Gordie skated out and offered sincere and humble congratulations to the Leafs. One of the classiest things I've seen in sports.

Which is funny, because Gordie was one of the dirtiest SOBs to ever lace up skates. Whenever I saw him on the ice, he always reminded me of Mark Messier. Both were prototypical power forwards with a mix of tremendous skill with an equal helping of nastiness. Long before he was known as Mr. Hockey, he was known amongst the players as Mr. Elbows. Moose wasn't as dominant as Gordie, but they sure played a lot alike, even though it was Gretzky who idolized Howe.

Heard a funny story about how there was a pact amongst players from Saskatchewan that they never went after each other, regardless of which team you were playing for. Saskatchewan was so dirt poor that they wouldn't risk each others' livelihoods. I can't remember which player it was, but a rookie fellow Saskatchewanian followed him into the corner and took a butt end to the mouth, which knocked out a bunch of teeth. Gordie then realised who it was, and the next time they were on the ice together, he offered a sincere apology with a promise it would never happen again, and ended it with "That's all your getting though, and don't be looking for revenge, cuz then I'll forget you're from Saskatchewan."

You are fortunate to have the opportunity to interact with a true legend.

Despite a life-long hatred of the Leafs, I always watched the 60s games, because I went to Eddie Shack's hockey school, and Ron Ellis ran the practices for my house league team when I was 10. I know how those kids felt seeing the Stanley Cup ring. Seeing Ellis' ring, and hearing the stories of what it was like playing in Russia in the Summit Series, was truly magical.

Anyhow, I won't bore you with any more of my reminiscences, I'm just trying to distract myself so I don't go insane with anxiety about the game in an hour or so... ;-)

• Like 1

Doesn't Mark Howe work for the Red Wings as a scout? When I got a tour of the Rock and we were up in the rafters where the press and scouts sit, he was on the list as part of the Red Wings org.

Back in 1995 I watched the Devils win the Stanley Cup against the Wings in Parry Sound, the birthplace of Bobby Orr which is proudly proclaimed on every sign you see driving into the city.

When I was living in Toronto, I used to watch a lot of old hockey on Leafs TV, because they replay whole games from when they were winning Cups in the 60s. They beat the Wings in Detroit to win a Cup, and during the post-game celebrations on the ice which involved a person with a microphone interviewing Leafs players over the PA system, Gordie skated out and offered sincere and humble congratulations to the Leafs. One of the classiest things I've seen in sports.

Which is funny, because Gordie was one of the dirtiest SOBs to ever lace up skates. Whenever I saw him on the ice, he always reminded me of Mark Messier. Both were prototypical power forwards with a mix of tremendous skill with an equal helping of nastiness. Long before he was known as Mr. Hockey, he was known amongst the players as Mr. Elbows. Moose wasn't as dominant as Gordie, but they sure played a lot alike, even though it was Gretzky who idolized Howe.

Heard a funny story about how there was a pact amongst players from Saskatchewan that they never went after each other, regardless of which team you were playing for. Saskatchewan was so dirt poor that they wouldn't risk each others' livelihoods. I can't remember which player it was, but a rookie fellow Saskatchewanian followed him into the corner and took a butt end to the mouth, which knocked out a bunch of teeth. Gordie then realised who it was, and the next time they were on the ice together, he offered a sincere apology with a promise it would never happen again, and ended it with "That's all your getting though, and don't be looking for revenge, cuz then I'll forget you're from Saskatchewan."

You are fortunate to have the opportunity to interact with a true legend.

Despite a life-long hatred of the Leafs, I always watched the 60s games, because I went to Eddie Shack's hockey school, and Ron Ellis ran the practices for my house league team when I was 10. I know how those kids felt seeing the Stanley Cup ring. Seeing Ellis' ring, and hearing the stories of what it was like playing in Russia in the Summit Series, was truly magical.

Anyhow, I won't bore you with any more of my reminiscences, I'm just trying to distract myself so I don't go insane with anxiety about the game in an hour or so... ;-)

Wow, great stories!

Cool stuff

Please tell me Gordie's grandson or whatever he is scored a goal, got an assist, and beat the crap out of a 9 year old. :giggle:

Kidding. That's awesome, congratulations.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...