The Pete Deboer Thread

Derlique

As this thread is now on page 11...I think it is important to point out that while we nitpick things that Deboer is doing wrong, they are relatively small issues compared to the overall big issue that is this roster right now. 

Maybe things get a lot better, but it`s hard to see that right now. 

His lineup decisions blow. Period. He can't judge talent for sh!t, that much is clear to me now. And he's stubborn. The roster aint great, but it isn't being utilized properly either.

The roster isn't really that solid... "interesting" is more how I would describe it.

Not really anyone's fault, the design would be better with the douchebag here and less add-ons.   At least as forwards go.

I think he's toast, that 3rd period (and attempted suicide attempts that Schneider denied) sent a pretty clear message

I can`t believe that any of you think that he is gone. The Devils lost Parise. Then Kovalchuk and Clarkson. They are using 5 new forwards. No line has history together except the one that plays a few shifts. He has no choice but to play Salvador and  Volchenkov almost every night. It`s alright to throw a little bit of the blame on Lou.

Lou gave Maclean three months to get it going before he canned him, and that team was a real mess. Maclean also didn`t lead a team to the Finals 16 months prior either. 

I can`t believe that any of you think that he is gone. The Devils lost Parise. Then Kovalchuk and Clarkson. They are using 5 new forwards. No line has history together except the one that plays a few shifts. He has no choice but to play Salvador and  Volchenkov almost every night. It`s alright to throw a little bit of the blame on Lou.

Lou gave Maclean three months to get it going before he canned him, and that team was a real mess. Maclean also didn`t lead a team to the Finals 16 months prior either. 

10-29

Roster isnt solid?

Josefson-Elias-Brunner (clicked)

Henrique-Zajac-Ryder (clicked)

Olesz-Loki-Jagr (plenty of skill and two speedy players)

Clowe-Zubrus-Bernier (big bodies to keep teams pinned)

PDB can roll four solid lines, but he has destroyed JJ's confidence by using Gionta.

Defense:

Greene-Larsson (25 mins)

Fayne-Harrold (20 mins)

Salvador-Zidlicky (15 mins, slow as hell)

Volchenkov (sit)

We definitely need two DMen with speed, but these guys can hold their own if the vets play fewer mins. I'd definitely upgrade on Harrold, Salvador and Volchenkov if I could.

Lou is as much a part of the problem if that's the case.

Well, he's not going to fire himself.   It's not something I necessarily WANT to happen, because of what I think they're going to do.   It's just what I think is going to happen.   They are in a long lull (over the two seasons, just as long as the one that got Johnny Mac fired), they're off to an awful start, things aren't being corrected, and they pretty much rolled over and died in the 3rd, the goalie just wouldn't allow the game to end.

Since they're going home and have a bunch of days off.... seems a logical time for it to happen

Lou is as much a part of the problem if that's the case.

Well, he's not going to fire himself.   It's not something I necessarily WANT to happen, because of what I think they're going to do.   It's just what I think is going to happen.   They are in a long lull (over the two seasons, just as long as the one that got Johnny Mac fired), they're off to an awful start, things aren't being corrected, and they pretty much rolled over and died in the 3rd, the goalie just wouldn't allow the game to end.

Since they're going home and have a bunch of days off.... seems a logical time for it to happen

Something needs to happen. That non-effort was as much a warning sign as you need to know where this is headed if something doesn't change real soon.

He's not gone but it's close now...a few more efforts like tonight'll seal it before the REAL West Coast trip of doom.  Lou's not going to allow them to lose fourteen straight like the Isles a couple years back.

And I'm so sick and tired of hearing how many new players we have that need to gel, especially when the new players are among the only ones producing.  ****ing Calgary has a new team, Vancouver has a new coach and they looked just fine against us.  We played three non-playoff teams with backup goalies and lost all of those games on this trip!  

If you believe the Devils are a good team, Lou's not going to let this continue unabated, especially after the finish of last year.  Make no mistake, it's carrying over now.  If you believe the Devils aren't a good team, Lou's gotta fire Pete anyway cause he sure ain't developing anyone.

He's not gone but it's close now...a few more efforts like tonight'll seal it before the REAL West Coast trip of doom.  Lou's not going to allow them to lose fourteen straight like the Isles a couple years back.

You will see a ton of different roster moves before that happens. I don`t see Deboer going even if they lose 14 in a row. 

what roster moves, they can only make one without burying payroll

Well they don't have to bury payroll with Gionta either, and with the way he's played he probably wouldn't be claimed regardless.  At this point I wouldn't be averse to the other one (demoting Larsson), to get him the hell away from this staff.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well they don't have to bury payroll with Gionta either, and with the way he's played he probably wouldn't be claimed regardless.  At this point I wouldn't be averse to the other one (demoting Larsson), to get him the hell away from this staff.

I don't consider demoting Larsson a move.   The next guy up will just be fvcked with too.    The only realistic move they have is sending Gionta down and activating Tedenby.   And that ain't gonna do alot

10-29

This is an idiotic stat and it keeps being thrown out there.  DeBoer doesn't win shootouts.  He doesn't save pucks.  This was the first night of great goaltending NJ has gotten.

The players are probably losing confidence because they are pressing, and they end up doing things more on their own than as part of the system, and it looks really disjointed and awful.  This isn't a team that can look good if they try to do things on their own, they don't have guys who can score tons of goals 1 on 1.  Brunner's been going solo the last 2 games now and he's looked awful.