Opening Night White

DaneykoIsGod

Ladies and Gentlemen....That about sums up the fanbase. "fvck You, i'll do what i want".

I said it before, i'll say it again...this fanbase at times deserves the sh!t they get from every angle.

Oh just stop it already. It was a dumb idea and they should have just gone with red. I've never seen anyone who makes such a big deal out of what people wear.

If HellOnIce pays $200 for a jersey, it's probably to wear it to a game (especially the home opener) and not to hang it in a closet.

The shirts were actually descent, although a couple of sizes too big for me. I wore a white Niedermayer jersey from 10 years ago, but even if I didn't have one, I would have wore the shirt they provided. It just seems like our fanbase will do the exact opposite of what they are asked to do at all times, regardless of the circumstance. The fail isn't with the team, it's with our fans (when they ask us to wear red, 1/2 of the fans wear white or blue - when they ask us to wear white, 1/2 of our fans wear red or black).

This just isn't true. There was always plenty of red for the Rock Your Red playoff stuff.

I'm not wearing a shirt. I have a jersey that I paid $200 for. It's red.

I dont blame you for having that mentality, as majority of fans do, however the franchise was looking to change it up a little bit and add some fun plus make the whole arena look the same. IMO, its worth skipping a game to now wear your jersey.

Oh just stop it already. It was a dumb idea and they should have just gone with red. I've never seen anyone who makes such a big deal out of what people wear.

If HellOnIce pays $200 for a jersey, it's probably to wear it to a game (especially the home opener) and not to hang it in a closet.

This just isn't true. There was always plenty of red for the Rock Your Red playoff stuff.

All I'm saying is, they couldn't have made this any easier for our fans. They gave us a t-shirt, all we had to do is put it on over whatever we were wearing for 2 1/2 hours, then taken it off. How hard is that, especially for only 1 game?

At the end of the day, it really doesn't make any difference what people wear to the games. I thought the crowd was great and ready to explode if the team could have gotten anything going. That is what really matters. However, our fans can't complain about the teams marketing all the time when they try things, and no one is willing to even try to go along with it. That's my main point here.

It wasn't a dumb idea. It was only a dumb idea in regards to knowing how petulant fans of this team are.

They tried white over red to change it up. White is also a color that stands out more and would have made a nice single color effect like crowds in other cities mentioned have. When the team asks the fans to join together and play along with a concept promoting unity, it would be nice if the self important fans took the jersey off for 3 periods and one afternoon/night from the bar. Or is that too much to ask one game out of 41 home games?

Who cares what he paid? That isn't even something that matters here. I have jerseys i paid 5+ times that amount for, what's that matter? I would gladly leave them or any jersey i own home to join in if the team asked me one game out of 41. The attitudes are disgusting and reek of self importance, ego and petulance. If someone doesn't like hearing that, tough. It is the truth and it's been creeping into this fanbase for at least a decade now.

Edited by SJP20

+1

The shirts were actually descent, although a couple of sizes too big for me. I wore a white Niedermayer jersey from 10 years ago, but even if I didn't have one, I would have wore the shirt they provided. It just seems like our fanbase will do the exact opposite of what they are asked to do at all times, regardless of the circumstance. The fail isn't with the team, it's with our fans (when they ask us to wear red, 1/2 of the fans wear white or blue - when they ask us to wear white, 1/2 of our fans wear red or black).

Plus, the fact that the "supporters section" all wore red and didn't wear the t-shirt says alot.

I said the same thing but I found out management asked them to wear red to stand out. The problem is fans that won't not wear their $200 jersey for ONE game

It wasn't a dumb idea. It was only a dumb idea in regards to knowing how petulant fans of this team are.

They tried white over red to change it up. White is also a color that stands out more and would have made a nice single color effect like crowds in other cities mentioned have. When the team asks the fans to join together and play along with a concept promoting unity, it would be nice if the self important fans took the jersey off for 3 periods and one afternoon/night from the bar. Or is that too much to ask one game out of 41 home games?

Who cares what he paid? That isn't even something that matters here. I have jerseys i paid 5+ times that amount for, what's that matter? I would gladly leave them or any jersey i own home to join in if the team asked me one game out of 41. The attitudes are disgusting and reek of self importance, ego and petulance. If someone doesn't like hearing that, tough. It is the truth and it's been creeping into this fanbase for at least a decade now.

I guarentee with you If they did this on the island, or hell anywhere else most/if not all fans wouldve either put the t-shirt on over the jersey or just have not worn a jersey to 1 game. People who argue that they paid 200 for a jersey and want to wear it to that 1 particular game are just idiots, wear the jersey to the next game. And no this wasnt a dumb idea, it was actually a really good idea, but our fans screwed this up

White t-shirts cost less than red t-shirts. Maybe not by much, but when you're giving away 17,625 of them in one night, it adds up. Just sayin'...

What I don't understand is, many other fan bases around the league have absolutely no problem with participating in a white-out or a (insert team color here)-out. Why do Devils fans think they're so special? And don't try telling me that red would have gone over better; half of you would have worn white just to be contrary.

Possibly, but as I posted in the GDT, the white out was mentioned while I was on the light rail between Broad St. and Penn, and most of the people riding with me said they didn't know anything about it.

Unless you read message boards/facebook or get the e-mail from the Devils you wouldn't have known about it, that's true. And a red-out would have been more successful because the majority of fans wear home red to games anyway.

Unless you read message boards/facebook or get the e-mail from the Devils you wouldn't have known about it, that's true. And a red-out would have been more successful because the majority of fans wear home red to games anyway.

They might have figured it out when everyone is being handed a free white t-shirt on the way in.

Also the main website of the Devils have been showing a gigantic picture with promo of the whiteout too for the week or 2 leading up to the game.

Edited by DevsMan84

My 50 year old mother almost never goes to games. She went to the home opener and specifically bought a new shirt for that game, which happened to be black. And she still put the white shirt on over it. My mother is a more dedicated devils fan than most here and she's been to about 10 games her whole life

yeah, but the willingness to wear a shirt given out at the game over one of your own, especially if it's something you ritually wear every game, is not an indication of how die-hard of a fan you are. I'd say you're more of a fan if you aren't one of "those" people who left early when we're losing (or even winning for some people)in the Meadowlands to beat the traffic on Rt 3 (at that time of night you ARE the traffic!) or the people who now leave early because they're more concerned with catching their train home rather than sticking around and waiting 45 min or so for the next one. You paid for the ticket, get your money's worth. I do.

It was on the Devils' front page website wasn't it?

And like someone said, they were handed t-shirts at the entrances. All they had to do was put it on for 2.5 measly hours but the ingrates couldn't even do that. I bet money if the Caps had a whiteout the fans(who wear red) wouldn't have a problem with it.

And for what it's worth I did wear white, my friend wore red to the game but she only has a limited number of tshirts and didn't know about the whiteout. We got there just before the intro, and I wasn't going to ask her to put on the white shirt over her favorite Parise shirt after I saw half the arena in red anyway lol.

Edited by NJDevs4978

White t-shirts cost less than red t-shirts. Maybe not by much, but when you're giving away 17,625 of them in one night, it adds up. Just sayin'...

What I don't understand is, many other fan bases around the league have absolutely no problem with participating in a white-out or a (insert team color here)-out. Why do Devils fans think they're so special? And don't try telling me that red would have gone over better; half of you would have worn white just to be contrary.

Best example of this: Nashville fans.

None of their jerseys were gold last year, not even their first 3rd jersey which was that nasty mustard yellow.

Team promoted a "Gold Out" and handed out shirts. 99% of the fans, whether they were in a $600 suit, $400 jersey, or their favorite NASCAR shirt, put on the damn gold shirts. It looked awesome.

It's unreal how people are justifying not wearing a shirt because of what they paid for a uniform. Congrats, you're refusing to conform to the rest of the team because you've already paid to conform by buying a red jersey that at least a doezen or so people also have. OH NO! I'M NOT ORIGINAL ANYMORE!

I broke out a jersey I hadn't worn in almost 4 years to make sure I wore white. The Nordiques Nation guys who sat quitely behind me in 104 even put on their white shirts over their blue NN shirts. I'm sure they paid $20 for those. I know I've said it before but the fact the so-called Supporters [aka the ones who rode the coattails of last years movement by joining the bandwagon with STHs] couldn't even put on their white or even wave the damn shirts just shows my point.

I get along with a majority of the people on this board, but as a whole, our fan base is beyond disappointing.

• Like 1

They might have figured it out when everyone is being handed a free white t-shirt on the way in.

Also the main website of the Devils have been showing a gigantic picture with promo of the whiteout too for the week or 2 leading up to the game.

And they're supposed to figure it out when they walk around and see half the people wearing red before the game? Most people bought tickets for Opening Night way before the last week or two, so they aren't necessarily checking the website during preseason.

And telling the supporters to wear red is even more goofy and sends a mixed message.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I swear, if this team had an "Everyone Wins $1,000" promotion, people would be like "Pssshhh, fvck that. I heard from a guy who saw on HF that a dude who knows a bartender said the guy writing the checks is probably a Rangers fan."

Just go with it, people.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

They might have, but not necessarily. I got the white out email, and I knew they would be giving out white shirts, so I deliberately wore a shirt to the arena that I knew the t-shirt would comfortably fit over. But if I hadn't known about it, it's highly unlikely that I would have put the shirt on. I never have when they handed out shirts in the past, and it wasn't like the people handing out the shirts were saying "Put this on, we're having a white out."

Just to be clear, I'm not especially trying to defend the fans. From what limited exposure I've had to other fans in other hockey arenas, it does seem to me like Devils fans could be a little more energetic. But in this particular case I don't think you can just assume that everybody who came to the game should have known about the white out.

But in this particular case I don't think you can just assume that everybody who came to the game should have known about the white out.

It's not really those people, though. I still believe that you have to be living without internet access or just plain not into the Devils all that much that you're not looking at websites, blogs, boards or whereever else they advertised it. Casual of the casual fan. Those people aren't going to make up a larger percentage then those that deliberately rebelled against the white out. I think that's a pretty safe assumption.

Because it's artificial...the whole idea of a white out, or a red out...who caresssssssssssssss. Give me a towel, I'll wave it.

Rock Your Red makes sense. I always wear red. I wear the Devils jersey because wait...the Devils are playing. I only wear jerseys to games, and I like it.

How about the team just plays the games, and lets us fans worry about wearing whatever we want to games.

Because it's artificial...the whole idea of a white out, or a red out...who caresssssssssssssss. Give me a towel, I'll wave it.

Waving towels is so artificial. We have hands. We can either clap them or wave them around like those whacky inflatable arm-flailing tube men. Who caressssssssssssssss. Give me a t-shirt. I'll wear it.

Rock Your Red makes sense. I always wear red. I wear the Devils jersey because wait...the Devils are playing. I only wear jerseys to games, and I like it.

Whiteouts make sense. It looks good at hockey games because wait ... the ice is white. Makes for a cool visual effect. I like it.

How about the team just plays the games, and lets us fans worry about wearing whatever we want to games.

Yeah! How dare those oppressive d-bags in the Devils front office try to force their policy down our throats! Let's start an Occupy Mulberry Street movement! 1% deciding what the other 99% should wear is fascist! Keep your corporate hands off my gameday clothing!! But more free towels please.

:rolleyes:

I once wore my work suit to a game because I did not have enough time to change before the game. I lived and had a lot of fun.

I usually wear my jerseys to game too, but for the sake of just trying to do something special, even if it is from the Devils marketing, I will at least give it a shot and just wear either something white or the shirt they gave out.

What I find funniest about this is that we have a group of fans who are complaining about what other fans are wearing to a game because it would have created a nice visual experience, as if the big poop the Devils left on the ice would have been any better with a different color. Devils fans are calling other Devils fans 'bad fans' that are 'too good for whatever' over a stupid white t-shirt that wouldn't have fit over my jersey anyway. (I wore it over my shoulders. Maybe I would have waved it had there been any reason.) Lighten up already.

Funny, there's no thread about the sh!thead Devil fans screaming obscenities during the moment of silence or national anthem. I think that looks way worse than if someone participated in a white out or not.

Funny, there's no thread about the sh!thead Devil fans screaming obscenities during the moment of silence or national anthem. I think that looks way worse than if someone participated in a white out or not.

Thank you...especially about the moment of silence. Talk about people with ADD :P

What I find funniest about this is that we have a group of fans who are complaining about what other fans are wearing to a game because it would have created a nice visual experience, as if the big poop the Devils left on the ice would have been any better with a different color. Devils fans are calling other Devils fans 'bad fans' that are 'too good for whatever' over a stupid white t-shirt that wouldn't have fit over my jersey anyway. (I wore it over my shoulders. Maybe I would have waved it had there been any reason.) Lighten up already.

You do make a decent point, but these are the same fans that complain that the Devils marketing doesn't do enough. How many threads are there on here bitching about that?

Also for the last part of the anthem I def agree with you. "Where's Arlette?" was funny the first 200 times I heard it.