Tallinder in For Harrold Game 4

sundstrom

I understand all of us are frustrated but really? Harrold over Tallinder? Harrold is our 8th dman who happens to be playing because of Tallinder's medical condition and Larsson's lack of experience. If they were up 3-0 we'd question why he was making a change to a winning line-up. As it stands, they are down 0-3 and he HAS to make some changes.

I honestly feel this is in no way a throw in the towel move to deliver any type of message to UFAs. I am hoping my sarcasm meter is broken and that wasn't said with seriousness.

I don't like taking JJ out of the lineup for Sykora. The Kings are fast, and they move the puck quickly. While Sykora still has a great shot, that's about all he brings to the table at this stage in his career. He's going to have a hard time keeping up with the Kings speed, much like he did against the much slower Rangers.

I don't mind getting Tallinder in the lineup. He is one of our top 4 defensemen when healthy. Harrold has played well in this series, but its really a numbers game at this point and it seems PDB wanted to give the team a different look tonight. I don't think the Devils have increased their chances of winning tonight to a great extent, but something needed to be done to mix it up.

We'll be more solid in our end with tallinder...harrold has better offensive capabilities but what exactly has that amounted to in this series. Tallinder has a long reach to break up passes, can limit kings cycles, block shots...won't get abused along the boards. I'm fine with that.

I love Sykora but he's out of gas right now and offers very little. I mean if there is a wide open shot where he can just wind up and let er rip, sure I want him over JJ. But when the hell have we had the time and space to do anything this series?

Edited by '7'

Did you actually read what I wrote???? I did not say he was "Nieds" I used terms likes "flashes" "potential" and "at times" to describe his very promising play. We need offense, which Tallinder does not deliver as well.

You could have said "at times" he's shown that he can use his feet to escape pressure, or "at times" can stick handle and make an outlet pass; but "Nieds like potential"???? It's not even on the same planet...hell, that's not even in the same solar system, galaxy, or even universe.

And you're grossly underestimating Tallinder's ability and play, but that's a different argument entirely.

The joke is harrold has been far from our worst defensemen this series. He is the only guy out there with any speed it seems. I would right now rather harrold on the point over zidlicky on the PP.

Our entire defense looks slow out there, I would rather Larson be in to get experience than any of the guys we have out there, because in my mind they are all expendable. Greene and Fayne are solid, but they aren't a top defensive pairing in my mind. As good as salvador has been, even he looks really bad out there at times.

Edited by Sneax

Zidlicky, for all his foibles this series is the one D-Man on this team that can make plays that nobody else can and control tempo unlike anyone else. He's led the team in ice team for 95% of the games he's played for us. Yes, he's looked bad the majority of this series, but at this point we just need 1 good game from him. We can worry about game 5 if we get to that point.

Harrold was the likely guy to go if any defensive changes were made. I have no issues at all with this decision. Tallinder is a good hockey player and was the best defenseman on this team during our run in 2011. The Kings fared pretty good inserting Gagne in, and I expect Tallinder will play the same type of minutes.

I agree though, Harrold has played well and I felt he was our best d-man in Game 2, but at this point I'll take a spark anyway we can get it. If Tallinder can provide that, I'm all for it.

Its potentially the last game of the season. Throw it all at the wall and hopefully something will stick.

Edited by ghdi

Harrold hasn't been that great actually (saying he's been the best devil in the finals is crazy with how Fayne and Greene are playing). For example, too many times he gets caught by a forechecker in the zone and not known what to do with the puck. Everytime he skates out of it with a minor puck battle (and gets away with it) but it's going to haunt him eventually. With that said he's been a great 6th dman and 2nd unit PP dman.

If Tallinder is healthy he's better than Harrold, at least at even strength. All things considered I think Tallinder is the best dman on the Devils though.

Dude...you're going to say that Tallinder is average at best and then mention Harrold in the same sentence as Nieds!?!?!?

Yeah this website is a joke most times i look at it. Good for info, but the MAJORITY of the opinions on here are comical. Such as not liking the idea of bringing tallinder back in replace of an ahl player. Also ripping up parise when hes the hardest worker out there, yet giving kovi a pass for having more turnovers than a bakery.

Yeah this website is a joke most times i look at it. Good for info, but the MAJORITY of the opinions on here are comical. Such as not liking the idea of bringing tallinder back in replace of an ahl player. Also ripping up parise when hes the hardest worker out there, yet giving kovi a pass for having more turnovers than a bakery.

Speaking of bakery, im hungry

Not sure who you guys are talking about, but I am refering to the Tallinder who is a combined -18 as a NJ Devil.

Who is has been nothing more than an average defender for us.

because tallinder is a better defender. larsson can't be trusted yet with his giveaways.

Well Larsson was just fine against the Flyers and in the first game against the Rangers. While I'd rather see him get the additional playoff experience, I can't fault them for putting Tallinder in for two reasons - size, and the fact he's a vet that's never been to the SCF before and he deserves to get in a game.

As far as Sykora, he adds something we've been missing...a guy willing to shoot and that can pick his shot. Josefson isn't going to do that. Speed isn't what's killing us anyway, it's size and an unwillingness to shoot.

Not sure who you guys are talking about, but I am refering to the Tallinder who is a combined -18 as a NJ Devil.

Who is has been nothing more than an average defender for us.

Tallinder had bad timing for the most part, the team just happened to pick it up after the All-Star break once he got shelved. The cynics might say it's not a coincidence but let's get real, we had Kurtis Foster in our D for half a season and were still fine. And a lot of that -18 was piled up in the first half of last year.

Too bad for Harrold (who wasn't playing poorly IMO) -- if they win DeBoer won't touch the lineup, and if the lose everyone goes home. Barring injury -- and a win -- looks like Peter has suited up for the last time this season . . .

training camp is just 90 days from now, so Harrold will get another camp to make the lineup.

i think hes a UFA and he wont.

we already have zidlicky, volchenkov, greene, tallinder, fayne, and larsson for next year. he could be the 7th guy.

not to make this off topic but unless we have a trade our lineup defensively for next year is most likely:

greene-fayne

tallinder-larsson

volchenkov-zidlicky

we already have zidlicky, volchenkov, greene, tallinder, fayne, and larsson for next year. he could be the 7th guy.

not to make this off topic but unless we have a trade our lineup defensively for next year is most likely:

greene-fayne

tallinder-larsson

volchenkov-zidlicky

I really like that Defense. Harrold might decide to stay here though, I'd give him a NHL contract as a 7th Dman after this playoffs since he can play forward too in a pinch, Tommy Albelinstyle. I don't think he'll get any other offers really but who knows?

Lou probably wants a big body to replace Salvador though, possibly even Salvador.

greene-fayne

tallinder-larsson

volchenkov-zidlicky

Most likely Urbom and Taormina will be on the team next year... Whether the Devils won or lost this thing changes were coming. There is going to be a lot of turnover from this year's team to next.