2013 Yankees Season

thefiestygoat

Ever since they won in 2009, I've honestly seen myself more as a Yankees follower than a Yankees fan.  I'm just not that emotionally invested in the Yankees like I once was.  It probably has a lot to do with the fact the Yankees just play a boring brand of baseball.  The team has gone stale on me.

Ever since they won in 2009, I've honestly seen myself more as a Yankees follower than a Yankees fan.  I'm just not that emotionally invested in the Yankees like I once was.  It probably has a lot to do with the fact the Yankees just play a boring brand of baseball.  The team has gone stale on me.

For better or worse I'm probably too emotionally invested in the Yankees. Having an older brother who raised me to be a fan of them from a young age, it's just natural to me. I suppose part of it is that they are one of two sports teams that I share in common with my brother which makes me love them even more.

I don't know if I'd say they play a boring brand of baseball typically. I mean last year with the power outage and lack of offense yeah but to be honest I think baseball is a pretty boring sport. The Yankees are my 2nd favorite sports team after the Devils but I really have a hard time watching a baseball game that doesn't involve the Yankees. Even the playoffs, unless it's like a series clincher, I usually don't watch it if the Yankees aren't involved.

Yankees reportedly signing McCann for 5/85 with a vesting option that could make it 6/100. I think it's a great pickup for you guys; he's not super-old, is a good match for Yankee Stadium's dimensions, and is still clearly very good (Steamer/ZiPS both see him as a 3 to 4 win player in 2014). Substantial upgrade over Chris Stewart. 

Yankees reportedly signing McCann for 5/85 with a vesting option that could make it 6/100. I think it's a great pickup for you guys; he's not super-old, is a good match for Yankee Stadium's dimensions, and is still clearly very good (Steamer/ZiPS both see him as a 3 to 4 win player in 2014). Substantial upgrade over Chris Stewart. 

Got this news right before I was going out for a party so needless to say I have had a very good night. Almost couldn't believe it. I was intending on writing a post about how the Yankees should be aggressive and not wait on the A-Rod ruling in January (though it looks like he's coming off the books for 2014 imo) and that they shouldn't wait for Cano since they have so many positions that they need to upgrade and his negotiations could drag out, so they should just go ahead and make signings before the market drys up. My nearly 5 AM analysis/random thoughts.

1. Yes!!!!!!! Yankees will have a real MLB catcher this season!

2. McCann signing this early, Peralta rumored close to a deal with Cards, Lincecum, Hudson, Johnson, Murphy already have new deals. The market seems to be moving a lot faster than usual. We haven't even had the winter meetings yet. Seems weird.

3. 2013 Yankees catchers ranked 26th in wOBA with a .266 average (6th worst in franchise history!). McCann had a .347 wOBA in 2013 and a .353 wOBA for his career. 2013 Yankees catchers: 0.9 WAR. McCann in 2013 had a 2.7 WAR in just 102 games and could easily surpass that in 2014. Huge, huge upgrade.

4. 5/$85 seems very fair to both sides. a.a.v. of $17M and that 6th year vesting option shouldn't change the tax hit too much whenever that would be. Seems to be right around what a lot of people thought he'd get.

5. I haven't checked yet since I'm tired but I've read he's a good pitch framer which the Yankees do highly value. Won't factor into his WAR but will into his overall value.

6. Realistically he'll move from C to DH/1B at some point I imagine. Gives the Yankees time to evaluate their catchers and may even move a top prospect like Gary Sanchez in a deal for help on the MLB roster at some point. If the Yankees can't get Cano and don't like Infante then I'd love to trade for a guy like Howie Kendrick if the Angels are willing to move him. Solid player on both sides of the ball and has a friendly contract for 2014 and 2015 which would help keep cost down.

7. I wanted Peralta too but he seems like he's about to come off the market. Yankees still need to address SS/3B but hopefully they go aggressively in getting one of Beltran/Choo/Granderson soon. Stay aggressive and don't let Cano's FA affect being aggressive on other top guys.

Reports suggest that the Yankees are going hard after Beltran over Choo and Granderson. While I'd prefer the other 2 to him, Beltran could end up being cheaper. Apparently interest is mutual but the Yankees don't want to offer 3 years and have a 2 year offer out to him.

Beltran makes me nervous because of his age (37 next year) and he's already showing sings of decline. Check out his OBP, SLG, BB%, and BB/K graphs. Sure he's played 140+ games, around 600 PA+ per year over the last 3 years with great numbers (137 wRC+, 9.7 WAR over those 3 years) but I can't help but feel like his numbers could just fall off a cliff at some point soon.

Granderson (33 next year) and Choo (31) are the much better players going forward but FanGraphs crowdsourcing has Granderson getting around 4/56 and Choo around 5/81. MLB Trade Rumors has Granderson getting around 3/45 (I think he gets more) and Choo around 6/100. I'd be fine offering those guys any of those deals and would only want Beltran if he really came in at a cheaper average annual value. FanGraphs crowdsourcing has Beltran getting around 2/26.8 and MLBTR has him getting around 2/30. I'd rather try to entice him by giving him the 3rd year but $39M to knock the a.a.v. to $13M.

Even if Beltran does decline, if he can at least stay above league average at the plate it would be a decent upgrade over what Yankees RF did last year, a pitful 70 wRC+, 0.2 WAR.

I like the McCann signing.  Not thrilled about the actual contract though.

I think the contract is very fair. $17M/yr for one of the top catchers in the game and he's only going to be 30 next year. Plus he's a perfect fit for Yankee stadium. They only need him to catch for 3 years before switching him to 1B after Teixeira's deal expires after 2016. If they haven't traded Gary Sanchez by then, then he could be ready if he pans out.

All I gotta say is, it must be nice to go into every offseason knowing your team is going to make use of every last resource (even if they're scaling back a little) to try to put as solid a product as possible on the field.  No trying to get a peek at the buffet table to see what scraps might be left by the time everyone else has already filled their plates.  No uncreative, passionless GMs taking pot-shots at upper management in the press (doesn't that always look good...GMs bitching about their circumstances...that gets guys all jazzed up about signing with a team like that).  The Yankees may not always win, but damned if they don't at least TRY.   

All I gotta say is, it must be nice to go into every offseason knowing your team is going to make use of every last resource (even if they're scaling back a little) to try to put as solid a product as possible on the field.  No trying to get a peek at the buffet table to see what scraps might be left by the time everyone else has already filled their plates.  No uncreative, passionless GMs taking pot-shots at upper management in the press (doesn't that always look good...GMs bitching about their circumstances...that gets guys all jazzed up about signing with a team like that).  The Yankees may not always win, but damned if they don't at least TRY.   

It is nice. Outside of last offseason they have always tried to upgrade the team since I became a fan. Even though Hal may be more about the money I think he realized that after intentionally downgrading the team last year he missed out on a lot of revenue from missing the playoffs and the declines in tv ratings and attendance.

I had lost faith in ownership but I'm regaining it now after the McCann signing and the depth acquisitions of Antoan Richardson, Dean Anna, and Yamaico Navarro. I also think they are handling the Cano situation perfectly. Rather than wait around they are going out and making huge upgrades at positions they were extremely poor at last year. Cano doesn't have a lot of suitors and I think his price will end up dropping the longer he waits. I kind of hope the Yankees sign Infante who can also play 3B since that would give them insurance on Cano and put even more pressure on him. He also won't cost much. Also thrilled that they are no longer giving out 10 year contracts. Will make it easier to stay under the luxury tax in future years and have more flexibility.

I fooled around with a spreadsheet that showed the Yankees could afford to re-sign Cano and Kuroda, and sign Infante and a Granderson/Beltran/Choo and stay under the tax (assuming no A-Rod). If they move Ichiro they could fit in Tanaka if the posting agreement is ever reached. Bullpen would be made of mostly cheap guys with limited MLB experience though but in my opinion that's always the part of the roster you can get value out of cheap guys.

I do feel bad for Mets fans and David Wright. Hopefully the Wilpons end up being forced in to selling the team to better owners at some point. No reason they should be penny pinching from a competitive standpoint (I don't know the Wilpons/Mets financial status at all).

I do feel bad for Mets fans and David Wright. Hopefully the Wilpons end up being forced in to selling the team to better owners at some point. No reason they should be penny pinching from a competitive standpoint (I don't know the Wilpons/Mets financial status at all).

I think we're stuck with the Wilpons, as much as I and many other fans absolutely hate them as owners.  I think in their heart of hearts they firmly believe they are good owners, and are good for Mets baseball. 

The problem I think the Mets are going to have is, once they get a decent talent base, I don't think they're going to augment it with that available special (but potentially pricey) player that can put them over the top, no matter how much the team needs it.  In '84, after a long period of irrelevance and embarrassment, they went 90-72 (thanks to Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Ron Darling, and others).  The year before, though the team didn't finish with a good record, two building blocks were in place:  Keith Hernandez and Strawberry (he was a rookie call-up that season).  Darling also got his feet wet.  But the Mets clearly needed one more player, and GM Frank Cashen went out and got him before the '85 season in Gary Carter...they won 98 games in 1985, then 108 and the World Series in 1986.  When the Mets needed to make their team a legit contender in '98 and the years to follow, they went out and got Mike Piazza. 

But I think the Mets are screwed now, and the only way they're going to get to where they need to be is 100% through the farm.  The pitching may be there (especially if Harvey is fully recovered by 2015, but I'm always leery of hoping for the best from a guy coming off a major injury.  Who knows what he'll be when he comes back?), but there's not many position prospects in the Mets' system.  Sadly, I think Sandy has completely lost his zest for the GM job...I don't think he ever really wanted it in the first place (possibly for the same reasons he probably doesn't want it now).  I don't know exactly what was said in that upstairs meeting with the Wilpons where Sandy cracked jokes about "stacking fives" or whatever after it was over, but as much as I think Met fans are pissed because they feel like the Mets sold them a pack of lies, re: improving the team significantly for 2014, I'm starting to think Sandy might be in the same boat as us.  Maybe he too was led to believe that he'd have a lot more flexibility in upgrading the team via free agency and through some honest-to-goodness spending and taking on of existing pricey contracts than he's been given, and is in "fvck it, I give up" mode.  The problem there is I don't think he's going to try to be shrewd and try to find a hidden gem (the way Cashen did with Bobby Ojeda, and the way Phillips did with John Olerud).  I think Sandy has really thrown in the towel.

What I do know for a fact is that the Wilpons have been completely incompetent fvck-ups for several years now, who always seem to be woefully out-of-touch with their fanbase.  It never changes, ever.  Even a new stadium, which is almost a slam-dunk way to create good feelings and waves of excitement...they even fvcked that up.  It was a friggin' monument to the BROOKLYN fvckING DODGERS!  It took Mets fans being outraged by such incomprehensible stupidity before they made it more of a Met ballpark...it actually took Mets fans having to be beyond infuriated before the Wilpons thought, "Gee, maybe we should pay more homage to the team the fans actually come here to watch!"  The Wilpons are a joke without a punchline.  Fred is an out-of-touch senile clown who can't let go of the Brooklyn Dodgers, and doesn't realize that 90% or so of his fanbase couldn't give a flying fvck about a team that left NY after the friggin' 1957 season (almost 57 YEARS AGO!), and his son Jeffy has no business being COO of a major league NY franchise...he and James Dolan must meet up for dinner once a week and laugh about how blessed they both are to have been spawned by the right sperm and egg donors.  The Wilpons suck. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I think we're stuck with the Wilpons, as much as I and many other fans absolutely hate them as owners.  I think in their heart of hearts they firmly believe they are good owners, and are good for Mets baseball. 

The problem I think the Mets are going to have is, once they get a decent talent base, I don't think they're going to augment it with that available special (but potentially pricey) player that can put them over the top, no matter how much the team needs it.  In '84, after a long period of irrelevance and embarrassment, they went 90-72 (thanks to Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Ron Darling, and others).  The year before, though the team didn't finish with a good record, two building blocks were in place:  Keith Hernandez and Strawberry (he was a rookie call-up that season).  Darling also got his feet wet.  But the Mets clearly needed one more player, and GM Frank Cashen went out and got him before the '85 season in Gary Carter...they won 98 games in 1985, then 108 and the World Series in 1986.  When the Mets needed to make their team a legit contender in '98 and the years to follow, they went out and got Mike Piazza. 

But I think the Mets are screwed now, and the only way they're going to get to where they need to be is 100% through the farm.  The pitching may be there (especially if Harvey is fully recovered by 2015, but I'm always leery of hoping for the best from a guy coming off a major injury.  Who knows what he'll be when he comes back?), but there's not many position prospects in the Mets' system.  Sadly, I think Sandy has completely lost his zest for the GM job...I don't think he ever really wanted it in the first place (possibly for the same reasons he probably doesn't want it now).  I don't know exactly what was said in that upstairs meeting with the Wilpons where Sandy cracked jokes about "stacking fives" or whatever after it was over, but as much as I think Met fans are pissed because they feel like the Mets sold them a pack of lies, re: improving the team significantly for 2014, I'm starting to think Sandy might be in the same boat as us.  Maybe he too was led to believe that he'd have a lot more flexibility in upgrading the team via free agency and through some honest-to-goodness spending and taking on of existing pricey contracts than he's been given, and is in "fvck it, I give up" mode.  The problem there is I don't think he's going to try to be shrewd and try to find a hidden gem (the way Cashen did with Bobby Ojeda, and the way Phillips did with John Olerud).  I think Sandy has really thrown in the towel.

What I do know for a fact is that the Wilpons have been completely incompetent fvck-ups for several years now, who always seem to be woefully out-of-touch with their fanbase.  It never changes, ever.  Even a new stadium, which is almost a slam-dunk way to create good feelings and waves of excitement...they even fvcked that up.  It was a friggin' monument to the BROOKLYN fvckING DODGERS!  It took Mets fans being outraged by such incomprehensible stupidity before they made it more of a Met ballpark...it actually took Mets fans having to be beyond infuriated before the Wilpons thought, "Gee, maybe we should pay more homage to the team the fans actually come here to watch!"  The Wilpons are a joke without a punchline.  Fred is an out-of-touch senile clown who can't let go of the Brooklyn Dodgers, and doesn't realize that 90% or so of his fanbase couldn't give a flying fvck about a team that left NY after the friggin' 1957 season (almost 57 YEARS AGO!), and his son Jeffy has no business being COO of a major league NY franchise...he and James Dolan must meet up for dinner once a week and laugh about how blessed they both are to have been spawned by the right sperm and egg donors.  The Wilpons suck. 

There is a little bit of cognitive dissonance on the part of fans when it comes to spending on big ticket free agents, and there's a bit of unfairness when it comes to the Wilpons (Madoff imbroglio notwithstanding).  All we keep hearing is that you're going to regret any deal for a 30+ year old free agent that goes past 4 years.  Remember Jason Bay?  The Angels are feeling it big-time with Puljols (who was putting up generational numbers) and Josh Hamilton (who was arguably the best free agent last year).   With Cano, you would have to meet his absolutely insane demands to outbid the Yankees.  You can obviously rule out Beltran.  I suppose Granderson, Choo and Elsbury are the obtainable players that could conceivably help your team. 

I still think the thing that would help the Mets out the most would be to trade one of their pitching prospects, I suppose Wheeler, for a stud bat, like Tulowitski.  Pitching prospects are a dicey proposition to begin with.  And that's what the Mets have a lot of. 

There is a little bit of cognitive dissonance on the part of fans when it comes to spending on big ticket free agents, and there's a bit of unfairness when it comes to the Wilpons (Madoff imbroglio notwithstanding).  All we keep hearing is that you're going to regret any deal for a 30+ year old free agent that goes past 4 years.  Remember Jason Bay?  The Angels are feeling it big-time with Puljols (who was putting up generational numbers) and Josh Hamilton (who was arguably the best free agent last year).   With Cano, you would have to meet his absolutely insane demands to outbid the Yankees.  You can obviously rule out Beltran.  I suppose Granderson, Choo and Elsbury are the obtainable players that could conceivably help your team. 

I still think the thing that would help the Mets out the most would be to trade one of their pitching prospects, I suppose Wheeler, for a stud bat, like Tulowitski.  Pitching prospects are a dicey proposition to begin with.  And that's what the Mets have a lot of. 

Re-read the post...I never expected the Mets to be in on the top guys.  The 2013 FA class isn't even that great (but GMs tend to spend big money on the top guys even if they're not that great).  It's more about the Wilpons and their MO in general.  NY is not a small-market team, but it looks like the Wilpons are about to run it like one, after asking Met fans to be patient for years (Mets have not won 80 games since the 2008 season...they've averaged 74.8 wins in the 5 seasons since then), that Met fans were about to be rewarded with some bolder moves than what we'd seen in recent years.  As we've seen, you CAN win on low budgets, I've said that repeatedly, but the Wilpons have not been honest with their fanbase about the plan...they are not being even remotely aggressive in trying to improve the talent.  The low-budget approach requires a GM to be smart and extremely resourceful, to have the ability to get performance out of key players that exceed their value...and I think that takes a high-energy, look-under-every-last-rock kind of person...guys like Cashman get to go after the big targets every year...doesn't require that much thought (I firmly believe Cashman is an ordinary GM without the Yankee dollars backing him up).  Problem is, like I said, I think Sandy's a beaten guy, and I don't think he feels like the Wilpons are going to back him up financially (I'm guessing Sandy would've liked a payroll of $100 million or slightly above to work with...looks like it's going to be $90 mil, tops), so he's like "why kill myself trying to improve the team the way I want to when my owners won't spend for me?"     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Re-read the post...I never expected the Mets to be in on the top guys.  The 2013 FA class isn't even that great (but GMs tend to spend big money on the top guys even if they're not that great).  It's more about the Wilpons and their MO in general.  NY is not a small-market team, but it looks like the Wilpons are about to run it like one, after asking Met fans to be patient for years (Mets have not won 80 games since the 2008 season...they've averaged 74.8 wins in the 5 seasons since then), that Met fans were about to be rewarded with some bolder moves than what we'd seen in recent years.  As we've seen, you CAN win on low budgets, I've said that repeatedly, but the Wilpons have not been honest with their fanbase about the plan...they are not being even remotely aggressive in trying to improve the talent.  The low-budget approach requires a GM to be smart and extremely resourceful, to have the ability to get performance out of key players that exceed their value...and I think that takes a high-energy, look-under-every-last-rock kind of person...guys like Cashman get to go after the big targets every year...doesn't require that much thought (I firmly believe Cashman is an ordinary GM without the Yankee dollars backing him up).  Problem is, like I said, I think Sandy's a beaten guy, and I don't think he feels like the Wilpons are going to back him up financially (I'm guessing Sandy would've liked a payroll of $100 million or slightly above to work with...looks like it's going to be $90 mil, tops), so he's like "why kill myself trying to improve the team the way I want to when my owners won't spend for me?"     

When it comes to how the owner impacts the team, it really comes down to how much they're willing to spend and on what, unless you have a Jon Henry type, and I don't even know how involved he is at a nuts and bolts level.  So even if the Wilpons had some plan, beyond saying we're going to open up the checkbook, I don't really see what you're asking them to say.  They don't, nor would you want them involved in making the trades.  They don't evaluate talent and don't make the drafting decisions.  So again, you're saying that the Wilpons won't give Alderson the financial support, I ask, financial support to make precisely what moves?

If you don't like Alderson, then I guess that's on the owners.  But usually, when it comes to anyone other than a disaster GM of the Mike Milbury mold, the fans have that attitude like a high school teacher of mine that was the swim coach, who liked to joke that his only job was to say "swim faster". 

I'm truly shocked. I figured they'd be able to sign 1-2 big free agents but Ellsbury never crossed my mind due to his injury history and the fact they still have Gardner on the cheap for another year. I really thought they'd target Granderson/Beltran/Choo since those guys will command a lot less in years and money. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports says the Yankees are still in on Cano and Choo and are looking to add one of those guys and a P while staying under the austerity plan. Looks like they truly believe A-Rod is coming off the books.

The only way I like this deal is if they either blow past the luxury tax threshold and try to get under it next year or if they are correct in being able to sign all these guys and magically stay under the threshold. Moving Ichiro's $6.5M would be huge in doing so. Wells is a $0 against the cap so they can cut him for a 40 man roster spot too.

I figured the Yankees would probably move on from Gardner after 2014 since he'd get expensive but maybe they turn him into a valuable trade chip now (unless they keep him which I'd be happy with too). He's only projected to get $4M this year and may be able to help them bring in a IF or P to plug some holes.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/408094910420512768

"#Yankees close to signing Kelly Johnson to a 1-yr about $2.75-3M. Plan is to play a lot around diamond, potential 2b option if Cano leaves"

Kelly Johnson is a fine bench player. Up and down offensively year to year but is a career 104 wRC+ hitter and hits left handed too. Johnson can add much needed power for a 2B and has decent D at 2B and 3B (small sample size there) and can play LF. Solid insurance option if Cano goes elsewhere and cheaper than Infante. Gives Yankees even more leverage against Cano.

Nice moves for sure, they fill needed holes, but who are the starting pitchers for the Yankees?  That seems to be getting lost in these big FA splashes. 

Nice moves for sure, they fill needed holes, but who are the starting pitchers for the Yankees?  That seems to be getting lost in these big FA splashes. 

As of this 40-man roster, it's probably (in no order) CC, Nova, Phelps, Pineda, and X (where X could very well be Kuroda again).

I'm sure the realistic scenario being kicked around is (again, no order) CC, Nova, Kuroda, Tanaka, and one of Phelps/Pineda.

There's rumblings that Brett Anderson is also in play via trade, though I'm not sure if the numbers sync up. 

Cashman has, in the past, said he wanted to acquire "400 innings" from outside the organization.

That's an iffy group.  CC isn't what CC used to be, Phelps has 23 starts under his belt, Nova's a bit up and down. 

Even with an iffy staff, Yankees should be around 90 wins or so...they'll beat up on bad teams. 

The newly proposed posting system is a $20M max bid/posting fee with worst records getting first rights. That's a big blow to Yankees' chance of acquiring Tanaka. 

EDIT: The LA Times says otherwise, saying the player chooses his destination of teams that post the max bid. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edited by nmigliore

The newly proposed posting system is a $20M max bid/posting fee with worst records getting first rights. That's a big blow to Yankees' chance of acquiring Tanaka. 

EDIT: The LA Times says otherwise, saying the player chooses his destination of teams that post the max bid. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

It may be a blow to the Yankees but i actually like that there is going to be max bid limit. The posting system was really unfair to MLB teams and this should ensure no one ends up spending an insane amount of money more than the 2nd or 3rd placed bids. It will be interesting to see if the player can choose which highest bid team he can negotiate with. I'm still seeing conflicting reports like you mentioned whether this is or isn't going to be the case.

I'm not familiar with the CBA but I wonder if a team like the Astros that wins the bid due to worst record, is allowed to trade the player in a sort of sign and trade scenario? That's assuming the player can't choose which top bidder he can negotiate with. Sort of how the Padres traded Irabu's rights to the Yankees pre-posting system. I'd assume that like draft picks, posted guys can't be traded for a set amount of time (what is it, roughly a calendar year?).

Edited by thefiestygoat

Some info on the posting news that is good news for the Yankees from Jeff Passan:

"Source: In MLB's posting proposal, there is a $20M maximum posting fee. In case of tie, player free to sign with any team with top bid."

"In other words, if this proposal goes through, Masahiro Tanaka is essentially going to be a free agent, and he is going to get paid huge."

"For example: If Astros, Yanks, Dodgers, Angels all throw a $20M bid on Tanaka, all of them can negotiate with him. Practically free agency."

Also, I mentioned in the past why I thought it was dumb to rush into resetting the luxury tax number at the expense of fielding the best possible team. Here is a great article from the WSJ about how much punting the 2013 season affected the Yankees and how they can't afford to intentionally downgrade the team and miss the playoffs like Hal did in 2013.

Proceeds from ticket sales and stadium suite licenses alone totaled $295 million through Sept. 30 this year, according to public records reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. That is down from $353 million in 2012, $377 million in 2011 and $384 million in 2010, the records show.

Had the Yankees failed to reach the playoffs in 2012, their ticket and suite revenues would have been closer to $300 million rather than $353 million, the people said. Similarly, in 2010 and 2011, postseason games accounted for $59 million and $58 million of all such revenues, respectively.

In other words, a Yankees team that wins 93 games and makes the playoffs brings in about 15% more ticket and suite revenue than a Yankees team that wins 88 games and misses the playoffs. And that is to say nothing of the boost in merchandise and concession sales and next-year ticket sales.

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/408094910420512768

"#Yankees close to signing Kelly Johnson to a 1-yr about $2.75-3M. Plan is to play a lot around diamond, potential 2b option if Cano leaves"

Kelly Johnson is a fine bench player. Up and down offensively year to year but is a career 104 wRC+ hitter and hits left handed too. Johnson can add much needed power for a 2B and has decent D at 2B and 3B (small sample size there) and can play LF. Solid insurance option if Cano goes elsewhere and cheaper than Infante. Gives Yankees even more leverage against Cano.

This is now official. Too lazy to link it up. A solid utility addition if Cano puts aside his ego and realizes he can be the man here. I love the Ellsbury move. Of course, the length and term is ridiculous. But I'm a huge fan of the Berry. He's a winning ballplayer who brings a good glove, great speed and a solid bat. Best of all he gets on-base. In some twisted irony, it reminds me of when they signed Damon. But of course, he was much cheaper. Ellsbury has more left. You always worry about health. He's had some bad luck in the past. I definitely think there will be a power increase. I'm excited. Keep Gardner and you have a classic 1-2 punch with speed and D. Soriano can either shift to right or DH. Imagine if Cano re-signs.

The McCann addition was a no brainer. Everyone knew he was going to sign. The contract is more risky because he's a catcher. Plus his production has kind of leveled off. The Braves can now shift Gattis to full time backstop. It's still essential to carry a good backup. Romine should be that guy. Cervelli is probably gone.

As for pitching, they need a couple of arms. Arroyo might work. He's a proven vet who performed in Boston. Though I'd prefer another lefty. There's not much available. Josh Johnson wouldn't have been a bad choice. But he's better off back in the NL with San Diego. I'm one of those that likes bargains. I wonder who will take a chance on Santana.