2014 UFA Signing Thread

Devilsfan118

I can't stand the Chicago circle jerk going on lately. "Would you build your team around these 2 kids!?! :D".... "Loudest arena in the NHL!" "haha look at the LA parade, ours was so much bigger! raahhh raaaaahh raahhhhhh" 

you got all of this by sucking hard for a long time. shut it

With the Kane and Toews signing does that mean the Patrick Sharp rumors going to start again

Sharp or Hossa are likely on the way out, but not until 2015-16.  I'd assume they try to move Hossa, considering his age and what he could bring back.  Hossa is still an elite two-way player and if he can stay healthy, he's dangerous.

Sharp or Hossa are likely on the way out, but not until 2015-16.  I'd assume they try to move Hossa, considering his age and what he could bring back.  Hossa is still an elite two-way player and if he can stay healthy, he's dangerous.

Hossa is signed through 2021. It's unlikely he's going anywhere.

He's not a UFA, but Gunbrandson just inked a two year extension with the Panthers. Curious to see the terms, as, absent a huge breakout year, it could similar to what Larsson ends up getting.

Gudbranson isn't good though. Larsson can at least hack it in the league. How good he'll be obviously remains to be seen

Gudbranson isn't good though. Larsson can at least hack it in the league. How good he'll be obviously remains to be seen

Whether it's because the Devils are a better team, the fact remains that Gudbranson has three straight years in the NHL without being sent down to the AHL.  He hasn't been that great and hasn't played an 82 game season (not sure if it was because he was a healthy scratch or injuries), but really neither has Larsson, and it's probably not because DeBoer was being unfair with him.

Hossa is signed through 2021. It's unlikely he's going anywhere.

The idea is that the team that is trading for him would get a present value bargain in order to accept the risk of the recapture penalty.  In three years his salary goes down to one million, at which time there's a pretty good chance he bolts to the KHL if he's still good, and whatever team he's on is stuck with three to four years of a significant recapture penalty.

In other words, after two or three years from now, it's hard to imagine a team that would want to touch him no matter how good he still is. 

Whether it's because the Devils are a better team, the fact remains that Gudbranson has three straight years in the NHL without being sent down to the AHL. He hasn't been that great and hasn't played an 82 game season (not sure if it was because he was a healthy scratch or injuries), but really neither has Larsson, and it's probably not because DeBoer was being unfair with him.

The Panthers have picked in the top two the last two years. They're obviously not a very good team and let their young kids play. Relative to the rest of the Panther defense, Gudbranson gets killed out there.

Larsson was better than the average NJ dman possession wise last year. The puck goes the right way when he's on the ice. NJ is obviously trying to win now and I think even you can admit he was playing some of his best hockey before he got hurt in SJ. It's not his fault Larsson and Gelinas played well in his absence. He is obviously too good for the AHL

The Panthers have picked in the top two the last two years. They're obviously not a very good team and let their young kids play. Relative to the rest of the Panther defense, Gudbranson gets killed out there.

Larsson was better than the average NJ dman possession wise last year. The puck goes the right way when he's on the ice. NJ is obviously trying to win now and I think even you can admit he was playing some of his best hockey before he got hurt in SJ. It's not his fault Larsson and Gelinas played well in his absence. He is obviously too good for the AHL

I do think the time in the AHL has helped Larsson.  He saw powerplay time and often quarterbacked it, and that could work wonders for him in the big leagues.  He plays a lot more physical than we saw in his rookie year.  I'm excited to see him in the Fall.  I predict to see some great improvement from him this year and to really solidify his spot, maybe a few downs, but mostly ups.  

The idea is that the team that is trading for him would get a present value bargain in order to accept the risk of the recapture penalty.  In three years his salary goes down to one million, at which time there's a pretty good chance he bolts to the KHL if he's still good, and whatever team he's on is stuck with three to four years of a significant recapture penalty.

In other words, after two or three years from now, it's hard to imagine a team that would want to touch him no matter how good he still is. 

This isn't how recapture works.  You don't get off the hook by a trade.  Whatever cap space was 'gained' by the Hossa contract will be accounted for when he retires, split between the teams where he had the gain in the proper proportions.  So right now (counting next season) Hossa's earned $47.4M but has only taken up $31.65M in cap space - this difference will be accounted for on the Hawks' books.

This isn't how recapture works.  You don't get off the hook by a trade.  Whatever cap space was 'gained' by the Hossa contract will be accounted for when he retires, split between the teams where he had the gain in the proper proportions.  So right now (counting next season) Hossa's earned $47.4M but has only taken up $31.65M in cap space - this difference will be accounted for on the Hawks' books.

Ok, my mistake.

That Dubinsky deal makes me feel Zajac's is a steal

It's longer for a player who is older.  Dubinsky's contract ends when he is just turning 35.  Zajac's deal ends when he is just turning 36.  I think both will end up pretty awfully, actually.

It's first line center money.  Zajac is not going to have a problem once age starts catching up to him.  His not a slow player, but that speed is what helps his offense imo.  He'll still be effective in a checking role.  

It is not first line center money.  Neither Zajac nor Dubinsky are receiving 1st line center money.  

It is not first line center money.  Neither Zajac nor Dubinsky are receiving 1st line center money.  

1st line center money for a center who isn't a superstar/elite point-getter.  That's a lot of money to be being a guy who is slotted to be a number 2 or 3.

It's longer for a player who is older.  Dubinsky's contract ends when he is just turning 35.  Zajac's deal ends when he is just turning 36.  I think both will end up pretty awfully, actually.

By the time Zajac's deal is over, the cap will probably be somewhere around 80-85 million.

Also, Dubinsky is not as good as Zajac now and plays a physical game. We know how those players age