Bernier, Harrold & Janssen on Waivers. Carter to Wild

devilsrule33

Shall we?

This isn't a thread for your ideal lineup. Just educated guesses to what we actually see come opening night and how we got there.

20 Forwards left:

The 9 that are 100% safe:  Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr, Zubrus-Elias-Havlat, Clowe-Henrique Ryder  x  x  x     x x

The 1 that is 99% safe due to his contract: Ruutu

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu x  x

x x

The 1 that is 90% safe due to Pete and Lou's love: Gionta

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  x

x x

The 1 that is only here to keep the locker room loose and to remind Pete and Lou of that when they eventually call him up in November for no reason but say it is because of that: Cam Janssen (Cut)

The 2 that are impressing the staff, but it just makes sense to have them start the season in the AHL: Matteau and Boucher

Boucher is making things tough for the staff, and if this was another year and another camp, he would in NJ to start the season. Crazier things have happened. Bergfors had such a good camp in 2009 that it sent Shanahan packing. One more great pre-season game, and he really might complicate the matter, but in the end, I see the AHL for him. There isn't such a rush and the Devils have options. There is a good case to make that he deserves to be here.

The 1 that never should have been signed and will most definitely be put on waivers after Lou perhaps makes some calls for him:  Bernier

The signing was weird at the time. It never made all that much sense. Too many better options at the moment. Don't think Lou will have that big of a problem with him making 600K in the AHL.

The 1 that they have some faith in and has had a good enough camp to make the team: Brunner

He's done enough. They know they can scratch him. A good player to throw in the top 9 if there is an injury.

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  Brunner

x x

Okay two more spots to go, and this is where I see two distinct battles taking place:

Gomez vs Josefson: The redemption narrative has been in full force. I've read some mixed reports, but it seems everyone within the organization has liked what they have seen from Scott. I bet he might get two more looks, and any added offense in the final pre-season games, and the return becomes official.

I have not seen Jacob play, so I can't say much. I know the organization sees something in him. He might really need to impress in his final game(s). If he doesn't, I could see the team trying to sneak him through waivers. He probably does too.

Carter vs Tootoo: I'm of the belief the organization wants someone with some grit/energy/drop-the-gloves-ability, especially with Clowe being told not to. I don't think Carter is much of a fighter, but he's there. Tootoo has impressed so far, and I think as of now he has a small lead over Carter to make the team.

So as of now, with 6 days to go: My predictions are:

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  Brunner

Tootoo Gomez

What the 4th line will actually be is anyone's guess right now.

AHL: Bernier, Josefson, Boucher, Matteau, Janssen

Out of the organization: Carter

Edited by devilsrule33

Good speculation here. I also don't know if there will be a place for Carter here, which really sucks since he was the most valuable part of CBGB.

The only part I disagree with is Josefson going to the AHL. For some reason, I get the idea that the organization sees something they like in him, and they aren't willing to lose him on waivers. So I don't think he'll make it on that fourth line to start, but I do believe he'll take one of the extra forward spots over Tootoo.

And I just don't want Gomez on the team. It's too bad we didn't get to see his big game, but it looks like they're inclined to give him a shot. Who knows if the goals were anything more than being in the right place at the right time. But that's important too, I guess. He did not impress me at all during the games that I watched. Pretty nervous to see if he'll be in the last two preseason games, to be honest.

How likely do you think it is that we see a trade within the next week?

a trade would be marvellous cause first i think we have a lot of interchangeable parts that can be turn into assets even if it's not much. Then it would help the situation obviously and make it more obvious on who stays and who goes. and it could free some cap space which is always a good thing.

If Matteau and Boucher are NOT on the starting lineup i think they are the perfect call ups cause they are both really different and depending on who's out, they can replace either kind of players with them. I don't think it's worth sitting a vet and scratch him game after gam and fvck around with him until there's a spot, that sh!t always play on their mentality and eventhough some players deals with it perfectly it can affect some, in the way that when they finally get their chances they are too nervous to make a mistakes and go back or they want to do too much to prove themselves. Confidence is HUGE in sports, HUGE. Anyone that played sports knows it. And being scratch and going up and down all the time "can" be a challenge for someone's development or performance.

So basically i'd rather see a guy filling a role and seeing it as a promotion or a step forward / opportunity (Matteau and Boucher) rather than a struggling vet who lost his spot kind of.

Shall we?

This isn't a thread for your ideal lineup. Just educated guesses to what we actually see come opening night and how we got there.

20 Forwards left:

The 9 that are 100% safe:  Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr, Zubrus-Elias-Havlat, Clowe-Henrique Ryder  x  x  x     x x

The 1 that is 99% safe due to his contract: Ruutu

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu x  x

x x

The 1 that is 90% safe due to Pete and Lou's love: Gionta

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  x

x x

The 1 that is only here to keep the locker room loose and to remind Pete and Lou of that when they eventually call him up in November for no reason but say it is because of that: Cam Janssen (Cut)

The 2 that are impressing the staff, but it just makes sense to have them start the season in the AHL: Matteau and Boucher

Boucher is making things tough for the staff, and if this was another year and another camp, he would in NJ to start the season. Crazier things have happened. Bergfors had such a good camp in 2009 that it sent Shanahan packing. One more great pre-season game, and he really might complicate the matter, but in the end, I see the AHL for him. There isn't such a rush and the Devils have options. There is a good case to make that he deserves to be here.

The 1 that never should have been signed and will most definitely be put on waivers after Lou perhaps makes some calls for him:  Bernier

The signing was weird at the time. It never made all that much sense. Too many better options at the moment. Don't think Lou will have that big of a problem with him making 600K in the AHL.

The 1 that they have some faith in and has had a good enough camp to make the team: Brunner

He's done enough. They know they can scratch him. A good player to throw in the top 9 if there is an injury.

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  Brunner

x x

Okay two more spots to go, and this is where I see two distinct battles taking place:

Gomez vs Josefson: The redemption narrative has been in full force. I've read some mixed reports, but it seems everyone within the organization has liked what they have seen from Scott. I bet he might get two more looks, and any added offense in the final pre-season games, and the return becomes official.

I have not seen Jacob play, so I can't say much. I know the organization sees something in him. He might really need to impress in his final game(s). If he doesn't, I could see the team trying to sneak him through waivers. He probably does too.

Carter vs Tootoo: I'm of the belief the organization wants someone with some grit/energy/drop-the-gloves-ability, especially with Clowe being told not to. I don't think Carter is much of a fighter, but he's there. Tootoo has impressed so far, and I think as of now he has a small lead over Carter to make the team.

So as of now, with 6 days to go: My predictions are:

Cammelleri-Zajac-Jagr

Zubrus-Elias-Havlat

Clowe-Henrique Ryder

Ruutu Gionta  Brunner

Tootoo Gomez

What the 4th line will actually be is anyone's guess right now.

AHL: Bernier, Josefson, Boucher, Matteau, Janssen

Out of the organization: Carter

This pretty much, except I would add Josefson instead of Tootoo, at least to start the season.  You have the snot forwards in the starting lineup (Clowe and Ruutu) so you can give Josefson another shot at things.  Gionta seems like the type of guy you could move over to the wing to make room for Gomez, who can only play center.  I think Gomez gets a Bernier type one year deal, starts off as a scratch, and will come in if the powerplay gets off to a terrible start or if the offense is as putrid as it's always been.  

Also, Tootoo seems unnecessary in that Matteau can probably fill the same role when/if the time comes. 

Watching all (televised) pre-season games, what does everyone think of Matteau? Lou and DeBoer have mentioned that he and Boucher have made it difficult to cut them but I think we all know neither is going to start the year in NJ. 

I'd keep Matteau down but not 100% if a ELC contract can slide again once the first year as been burned?

As we know Lou already burned a year off Matteau's ELC when Zubs went down. and last year he stayed in the AHL all season so does his 2nd year slide or count in the ELC?

Same lines today and yesterday. Need to be getting close to the final lines. Which line has more of the opening day 4th line in it?

Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner

Matteau-Gionta-Bernier

I think it might be Ruutu-Josefson-Brunner with no signings and gionta/bernier are the extra FWDs.

I'd keep Matteau down but not 100% if a ELC contract can slide again once the first year as been burned?

As we know Lou already burned a year off Matteau's ELC when Zubs went down. and last year he stayed in the AHL all season so does his 2nd year slide or count in the ELC?

Matteau is a restricted free agent this offseason, no slides.

I don't think Josefson survives waivers and that's why I don't think he goes down.  I think the Devils could trade him if it came to that, but I think trading him would be folly.  They simply don't have anybody in the minors who can play center at the NHL level at more than a 4th line fill-in level.  I think Carter is told thanks but no thanks unless there's a trade.  I think Tootoo is offered an AHL deal, let's see if he takes it, and Gomez is told to hang around.  And of course Bernier is passed through waivers.  If they deal Brunner all of this changes completely.  And indeed, I've only left 13 forwards on this team, so perhaps Tootoo is given an NHL contract in this scenario.

EDIT:  Yeah, Matteau's an RFA, but if he doesn't get into a lot of games this year I believe the Devils can give him a 1 year mandatory QO.  His contract isn't important to me, but he will be UFA in 2020 instead of 2021.

Edited by Triumph

Great posts, pretty much spot on with all your points.

Pissess me off that Gionta is still a guarantee to make this team. But, after years of dealing with this crap, I guess I might as well just accept it.

agreed I think id rather have gomez in his slot

He'll be an RFA this offseason but he won't get any kind of (significant) raise. Unless he magically develops into a 25-25 powerforward his contracts should be pretty manageable

I don't think Josefson survives waivers and that's why I don't think he goes down.  I think the Devils could trade him if it came to that, but I think trading him would be folly.  They simply don't have anybody in the minors who can play center at the NHL level at more than a 4th line fill-in level.  I think Carter is told thanks but no thanks unless there's a trade.  I think Tootoo is offered an AHL deal, let's see if he takes it, and Gomez is told to hang around.  And of course Bernier is passed through waivers.  If they deal Brunner all of this changes completely.  And indeed, I've only left 13 forwards on this team, so perhaps Tootoo is given an NHL contract in this scenario.

EDIT:  Yeah, Matteau's an RFA, but if he doesn't get into a lot of games this year I believe the Devils can give him a 1 year mandatory QO.  His contract isn't important to me, but he will be UFA in 2020 instead of 2021.

Ya, everything kind of hinges on this. Are the Devils willing to risk Josefson? Even if you like what Gomez brings, is he going to play enough to justify losing Jacob? I thought the 2-year deal might help him get through, but at his salary, it's a non-factor. 

Honestly, I think the fact that it's Gomez is one reason why he might make the team. At the very least, they give him a few more looks out of respect to him and to showcase himself to another team. The ex-Devil his a powerful thing he has going for him.

Ya, everything kind of hinges on this. Are the Devils willing to risk Josefson? Even if you like what Gomez brings, is he going to play enough to justify losing Jacob? I thought the 2-year deal might help him get through, but at his salary, it's a non-factor. 

Honestly, I think the fact that it's Gomez is one reason why he might make the team. At the very least, they give him a few more looks out of respect to him and to showcase himself to another team. The ex-Devil his a powerful thing he has going for him.

They have next year to think about, and next year they have the exact same issue.  They have Zajac, Henrique, a 39 year old Elias, and then a bunch of guys who have played center in their careers but who are not NHL centers now for good reason (Cammalleri, Zubrus, Ruutu), and nobody else in the organization save a semi-miraculous first pro season from Graham Black.  Last year the center position stayed relatively healthy for the Devils - Elias was out 17 games, Zajac 2, Henrique 5, Gionta 17, Loktionov IIRC zero.  What happens when someone misses 40 games?  That's why you keep a guy like Josefson around even if you're not huge believers in him.

Edited by Triumph

They have next year to think about, and next year they have the exact same issue.  They have Zajac, Henrique, a 39 year old Elias, and then a bunch of guys who have played center in their careers (Cammalleri, Zubrus, Ruutu, S. Gionta), and nobody else in the organization save a semi-miraculous first pro season from Graham Black.  Last year the center position stayed relatively healthy for the Devils - Elias was out 17 games, Zajac 2, Henrique 5, Gionta 17, Loktionov IIRC zero.  What happens when someone misses 40 games?  That's why you keep a guy like Josefson around even if you're not huge believers in him.

I'm with you, and I said as much the day they invited Gomez for a tryout. Of course, they could just as well sign someone off of the UFA market after the first level players signed. Derek Roy got $1 million this off-season.

I'm with you, and I said as much the day they invited Gomez for a tryout. Of course, they could just as well sign someone off of the UFA market after the first level players signed. Derek Roy got $1 million this off-season.

That's just it - why would Derek Roy sign in a place that has Elias, Henrique, and Zajac?  It doesn't make any sense for him to do that unless he's in the same spot Gomez is in now.  And that goes for pretty much any other center.  You still need that 5th guy somewhere in the organization.

They have next year to think about, and next year they have the exact same issue.  They have Zajac, Henrique, a 39 year old Elias, and then a bunch of guys who have played center in their careers but who are not NHL centers now for good reason (Cammalleri, Zubrus, Ruutu), and nobody else in the organization save a semi-miraculous first pro season from Graham Black.  Last year the center position stayed relatively healthy for the Devils - Elias was out 17 games, Zajac 2, Henrique 5, Gionta 17, Loktionov IIRC zero.  What happens when someone misses 40 games?  That's why you keep a guy like Josefson around even if you're not huge believers in him.

Idk, I think DeBoer would be more likely to shift over a guy like Ruutu and Zubrus (provided one of them is still here). It's been done in the past. Or like you said, a guy like Black or maybe even Quenneville emerges

Bumping this after the last preseason game and today's scrimmage. Josefson did himself no favours last night apparently, and it just might be it for him.

Interesting scrimmage lines in practice today with Gionta playing with Ruttu and Tootoo. This is very easily a 4th line you could envision the Devils wanting for that "energy" line. The fact that Tootoo is there over Carter in that spot is pretty telling.

Also got a line of Boucher-Gomez-Brunner. Lots of speed and skill, but just about the opposite of what a Deboer 4th line usually entails.  

I feel somewhat bad for JJ.

He has the skills and promise, but he just never seems to apply them at least properly.  Last night I saw him skating, and skating, and skating.  But that's about it.  We hear stories of him doing well in camp and in practice which is fine and dandy, but last night just showed how invisible he can be.  Perhaps it is time to finally cut him loose once and for all.

Shame but at some point he had to show signs of progress but just didn't.

Bumping this after the last preseason game and today's scrimmage. Josefson did himself no favours last night apparently, and it just might be it for him.

Interesting scrimmage lines in practice today with Gionta playing with Ruttu and Tootoo. This is very easily a 4th line you could envision the Devils wanting for that "energy" line. The fact that Tootoo is there over Carter in that spot is pretty telling.

Also got a line of Boucher-Gomez-Brunner. Lots of speed and skill, but just about the opposite of what a Deboer 4th line usually entails.  

with the log jam, i don't see boucher being here opening night, if only because sending him (and matteau) down is an easy and not complicated decision. having him scrimage with pluggers is pointless so i won't read anything into that being a 4th line - it won't be. now, bernier being on the outside looking in seemingly all preseason is pretty telling. and yeah, josefson had a pretty bad game so getting cast down with the sodomites isn't that surprising. tri has discussed before, but they're so thin at center that i think he makes the team - and is probably a scratch opening night.

still sticking with my assertion that boucher/matteau sent down. bernier waived. tootoo offered 2way. gomez asked to sit tight and practice with team. carter signed.

23-19-68

29-14-17

9-26-8

15-11-12

20/16

that's the opening night lineup.

with the log jam, i don't see boucher being here opening night, if only because sending him (and matteau) down is an easy and not complicated decision. having him scrimage with pluggers is pointless so i won't read anything into that being a 4th line - it won't be. now, bernier being on the outside looking in seemingly all preseason is pretty telling. and yeah, josefson had a pretty bad game so getting cast down with the sodomites isn't that surprising. tri has discussed before, but they're so thin at center that i think he makes the team - and is probably a scratch opening night.

still sticking with my assertion that boucher/matteau sent down. bernier waived. tootoo offered 2way. gomez asked to sit tight and practice with team. carter signed.

23-19-68

29-14-17

9-26-8

15-11-12

20/16

that's the opening night lineup.

I agree about Boucher. I said yesterday that him not getting into last night's pre-season game probably was a clincher. 

The real problem here is just defining the 4th line. You could go either way with it, but you can't meet in the middle. Gionta playing with Brunner would be about the worst combo ever. How the fvck do they even remotely complement each other. Probably never? Together, they'd just hurt their own games.

If Brunner didn't have such a nice camp, he would be starting as a healthy scratch. You know what? He just might anyway. From all accounts, he was possibly the Devils best forward last night, and (as Tri noted) Deboer didn't even mention him as a positive. That almost sounds like a coach that doesn't want to praise someone who he can't even guarantee to fit in the lineup.

Right now I see line 2 and 3 needs an influx of speed. Boucher, Gomez, and Brunner could add that. I got to say I really hate the bottom 3 lines you have. Zubrus is not a second line winger...and the 3rd line that has been set in stone since day one had 3-4 really good games last year, and then was just kept together. There are better combinations.

Edited by devilsrule33