MantaRay

Cowboys, Terrell Owens get burned by Patriots

BY HANK GOLA

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Monday, October 15th 2007, 4:00 AM

Print

Email

Suggest a Story

IRVING, Tex. - The symbolic popcorn in the Patriots' locker room after yesterday's game was all they cared to pop off about Terrell Owens.

The Cowboys' mouthy receiver had clammed up all week, except for a note to the media taped to his locker, in which he promised that the "original 81" would talk about the "other 81" after the game.

"P.S. Getcha popcorn ready," he wrote, hinting that he would outperform that "other 81," Randy Moss.

But while Owens' stats matched those of Moss yesterday, the Patriots' three-touchdown victory more than overshadowed the individual battle.

"We wanted to be one of the elite teams in the league," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "Obviously, we're not."

Owens, as promised, came to the podium after the game but when he was asked to assess Moss' performance, he replied, "Next question.

"I come to play every week," Owens said. "I did that to prevent some of the questions you keep asking me about the other 81. It's not me against him, it's a team game. We lost the game."

Owens led the Cowboys with six catches for 66 yards and a TD while Moss was the Patriots' third-leading receiver with six catches for 59 yards and one TD. But it also appeared that the Cowboys' attention to Moss led to more chances for Donte' Stallworth and Wes Welker, who combined for 18 catches.

"Well, you've got to worry about Moss," Phillips said.

Moss, for his part, sloughed off any questions about being the "other 81."

"I don't really get into that," he said. "You're the media and you know who T.O. is. I just wanted to come out there and do what I could to help my team win this game. I wasn't going to feed off what he was saying or the hype about two 81s. I don't really buy into that. I've got a job to do and that's to catch touchdowns and get first downs."

Owens, who had complained earlier this year that people already were talking about the Pats running the table, refused to get carried away with the praise.

"No, they're a good team. I wouldn't say they're the best," he said. "They beat us today. I tip my hat off to them. We knew we had some opportunities and we let them slip away. There is no confidence loss in the locker room. We will be ready. We're going to be focused on Minnesota this week, get ready for that game and go from there."

Meanwhile, the Patriots were having a grand old time walking around their locker room with boxes of popcorn, throwing some of it in the air.

"T.O. said to get it ready," linebacker Rosevelt Colvin said. "We wanted to know how it tastes."

"Tastes pretty good," said Rodney Harrison. "Like humble popcorn.

BILLS AND THA STEELERS> COWBOYS.

FACE IT,!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, in reality, what could pretend the Cowboys to win a Superbowl? Their Pass DEF/O-line.

Humm..Lets see who the Cowboys played in their first 5games.

Giants(Won 45-35..But still allowed 35points.)

Rams(They're pitiful and had no-offense.)

Bears(With Grossman as the QB..Any team can win, and BEARS D didn't deliver their best perfomence)

Dolphins(Poor OFF, POOR DEF, POOR TEAM. What else Do I need to say?)

Bills(The Bills were without Lot of Key players in their Defense...And they were still able to win)

Yeah, you could argue that you have to win those games, but even though, the Cowboys didn't have a real test, untill the Pats.

Now watch-out for the whole divison, the Redskins,Giants and the Eagles are looking good and are getting their rythm.

Watch out also for.. THA PACKERS!!!!(Yarly.)

My dream would be..Steelers vs Cowboys, and the Steelers would blown out tha Boys :)(YEAH, 11YEARS AGO fvckING NEIL ODONEL THREW A fvckING INT....THAT fvckING INT, STILL HUNT STEELERS FANS, AND THIS YEAR, THA SUPERBOWL IS IN ARIZONA..COINCIDENCE?)

I'm tired of the BS already....nothing but how the Cowboys got whipped and the Patriots are so great...oh the Patriots didn't play that great and still won....bull....going into the season the Cowboys secondary was suspect....no surprises there....still we got behind 14-0 and still scored on them 24-7 to take a lead....we shot ourselves in the foot with the penalties and the brain fart coaching call to kick the field goal instead of the TD...are they a better team? of course, they have better players overall and have been in the same scheme for years....so what, we showed we could hang with the big dogs plain and simple...I'll be anticipating a rematch come February...but for now, one game at a time.....next up the Vikes!!

Personally i want to know the mind-numbing drugs the Patriots give their players since they all say the same flipping thing in the post-game stuff... EVEN MOSS :blink: they're even more robotic then hockey players!!!

Personally i want to know the mind-numbing drugs the Patriots give their players since they all say the same flipping thing in the post-game stuff... EVEN MOSS :blink: they're even more robotic then hockey players!!!

The Giants are winning the Divison write it down, the 7-1 Cowboys will lose to the 6-2 Giants in the meadowlands. I grew up hating the Eagels and the Cowboys so i was happy when the Pats spanked them.

hey Owens DID deliver... he did out perform Moss.... by SIX YARDS :P

That's actually kind of sad, since Moss was double covered the whole game and Owens was actually deemed as the third offensive threat on Dallas after Crayton and Witten.

But I guess that's why Moss is and impact player and TO isn't.

you sir need to stop this stuff and keep it on an even level... like I said before I won't let the Cowboy fans in this place ruin it... our team may not but we as fans in this place WILL handle wins AND losses with a better demeanor and outlook then that!!!

So stop inciting the whole forum and spreading BAD KARMA in Dallas!!!!! :rant:

Ah let him rant it is :giggle: