New York Post Gloom and Doom Returns

montec24

Link: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/owner_be_damned_XgXuEUTpV1Ek0Xc8rl9MdI#ixzz1y7cwZn3F

Another article relying on speculation and his sources. Not contesting the fact that Bettman and the NHL would take over the team if Vanderbeek is unable to repay the lenders, but the way Kosman starts off the article is completely misleading, as is the headline. It starts off with this definitive statement:

Hockey is getting ready to freeze out New Jersey Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek.

But then Kosman goes into this, which contradicts the message he's sending with that first sentence. And continues on with other options JVB has at this time.

Vanderbeek is near a deal to sell a majority stake to a mystery investor, which would allow him to keep control of the Eastern Conference champions, one source said. The proceeds from a sale would be used to repay lenders much of the $77 million in past due debt.

Just another Monday morning.

Edited by montec24

OK I do like the Post but the author of this article is really pissing me off. The worst part is that every time one of his stories appears in the paper it is reposted by every Rags fan I know with enormous glee.

I hope JVB can come through with a new ivenstor and he can shove these articles up that guys ass.

OK I do like the Post but the author of this article is really pissing me off. The worst part is that every time one of his stories appears in the paper it is reposted by every Rags fan I know with enormous glee.

I hope JVB can come through with a new ivenstor and he can shove these articles up that guys ass.

It's not only the Rags fans that pick it up and quote it as gospel. It's other media outlets, including the NHL's own radio network, that treat these stories as if the "unnamed source" providing the info is JVB himself. Stories like this are yet another example of why true "journalism" is dead.

I immediately take exception with the 'money-losing franchise' part. We didnt 'lose' any money this year.

And what garbage is this:

'Thanks to their success on ice this year, when the team staged an upset win over the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Championships, the Devils could go from losing $20 million in the regular season to almost breaking even next year, sources said.'

Edited by devlman

I immediately take exception with the 'money-losing franchise' part. We didnt 'lose' any money this year.

And what garbage is this:

'Thanks to their success on ice this year, when the team staged an upset win over the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Championships, the Devils could go from losing $20 million in the regular season to almost breaking even next year, sources said.'

Closet butthurt Rags fan/"journalist" is butthurt.

So the article says we are close to a minority investor but still the NHL wants to take it over. Why go through one if the other is a certainty? Why not just take it over now if they were going to instead of bringing in more people and headaches to deal with?

So the article says we are close to a minority investor but still the NHL wants to take it over. Why go through one if the other is a certainty? Why not just take it over now if they were going to instead of bringing in more people and headaches to deal with?

For an article of that length it is still very unclear and unfocused. He starts out with the position that the NHL is going to take over the devils and then for the entire article he lists pretty much every scenario that can happen at this point. My guess is this way no matter what happens he can write a follow-up and claim he was right all along.

No damage has been done. This guy has had the story wrong pretty much all year. He's got some of the facts right but his spin on them is all wrong.

Nor do I think that an NHL takeover of the Devils would be that awful - I think the Devils would find a buyer pretty quickly. Vanderbeek's trouble with selling the other half of the team is that he's selling a non-controlling half.

Edited by Triumph

NHL denies the report. But damage has already been done by the Post article.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012-06-18/nhl-denies-report-of-devils-takeover-plans/55671186/1

Unfortunately, this does not do much to refute the Post story. Daly did not say that a league takeover isn't a possibility, just that it wasn't anticipated.

Really it comes down to who you believe more, Kosman or Vanderbeek. Sort of like trying to root for one side in the Iran/Iraq war.

No damage has been done. This guy has had the story wrong pretty much all year. He's got some of the facts right but his spin on them is all wrong.

Nor do I think that an NHL takeover of the Devils would be that awful - I think the Devils would find a buyer pretty quickly. Vanderbeek's trouble with selling the other half of the team is that he's selling a non-controlling half.

By damage I'm referring to public perception from hockey fans more than anything. Doubting this will affect Vanderbeek's efforts to find an investor or work on refinancing, but its frustrating to see the posts on other boards, puck daddy, etc.

Edited by montec24

It is a no news story. Basically if Vanderbeek's mystery buyer doesn't work out then the league will take over for next year while the team gets sold. I could have told you that months ago with no inside info. Any one who knows how leagues operate in situations like this knew that.

The situation is the same as it was yesterday.

BTW, I'm going to guess Kosman's source is someone who wants to buy the team outright from Vanderbeek (leaving him out) through bankruptcy. Seems to be the case because of the timing of the article's. Kind of similar to when the Globe and Mail was reporting on the Coyotes stuff (and before that their reporting on the Predators). Turned out the source there was Balsillie and his lawyer trying to chill the process by timely leaks.