Summer 2013 UFA/RFA Thread

Derlique

No, but SterioDesign just took all the words out of my mouth. If we can't re-sign Clarkson, who the hell can we sign? Who the hell WILL we sign? Say what you will about Clarkson, and whether he's overpaid, but we can't just keep letting players producing numbers just walk all the time without adding.

We all know Lou's not going to make a trade for Bobby Ryan or try and sign Dupuis or Ribeiro as UFA. It's like the economy's relationship to consumer confidence; just like SterioDesign said, who will even want to entertain the idea of signing here when they see us not doing enough to keep our key players around?

As a fanbase, we're becoming so scared of the "boogeyman" (overpaying a few players here and there) that when UFA time comes, we're pretty much convincing ourselves that it's worth it to let everyone walk. And watch us fall down the standings.

Who said we're not doing enough to keep our players? FA aren't going to look at NJ and say, hmmm, they refused to overpay a UFA...not gonna sign with that team, screw teams with smart GMs. That's ridiculous.

We absolutely need to ADD to what we had in term of production. we can't expect guys to step up all the time and overproduce

I completely agree with this. I felt, and I think most devils fans felt that last year's team could have been good. However, we knew that certain things needed to happen in order to be a good team. We needed to stay injury free to keep the depth in the lineup and we needed the young guys to step up to Contribute more. The Devils started off great, but once injuries happened our season went down the tubes. Lou left a lot up to chance and obviously it didn't work out this season. If he is banking on young kids stepping up again we won't have a good season. With that being said I think Lou knows that he needs to add pieces to this puzzle. And I expect that even if we lose Clarkson he will be very active this summer.

As a fanbase, we're becoming so scared of the "boogeyman" (overpaying a few players here and there) that when UFA time comes, we're pretty much convincing ourselves that it's worth it to let everyone walk. And watch us fall down the standings.

This is so so so true i almost feel like paypaling you an high five

Who said we're not doing enough to keep our players? FA aren't going to look at NJ and say, hmmm, they refused to overpay a UFA...not gonna sign with that team, screw teams with smart GMs. That's ridiculous.

I don't really doubt that we'll re-sign Elias, I think he's staying. But if we don't re-sign Clarkson and he gets a $4-5M contract (not over) elsewhere, I'll say we're not doing enough. But at this stage, this is only speculation and what-if message board banter, so we can't really pass that judgment on our GM, yet.

This is so so so true i almost feel like paypaling you an high five

haha! I don't know, I'm a total sipper of Lou's Kool-Aid 99% of the time. The subtle moves he pulled out of his ass last season were brilliant, and hiring Pete DeBoer was a phenomenal choice (in my opinion).

However, when UFA season comes around, I feel like too many of us take pride in inching closer and closer to the salary cap floor and not enough about outfitting a team to win. I'm not saying I want moves a la Penguins, actually far from it. But after losing Parise, we need to do SOMETHING. Letting Clarkson (70 points in a year and a half) go is not "doing something", especially if we're not going to use that cap space to "do something".

No, but SterioDesign just took all the words out of my mouth. If we can't re-sign Clarkson, who the hell can we sign? Who the hell WILL we sign? Say what you will about Clarkson, and whether he's overpaid, but we can't just keep letting players producing numbers just walk all the time without adding

Howbout waiting until after UFA season opens to start thinking the worst? No one can answer these questions. Does anyone think Clarkson is worth DOUBLE his current salary? That's likely what he's going to get. We already have a few crappy contracts on this team. UFA's are not the only method of acquisition either.

We all know Lou's not going to make a trade for Bobby Ryan or try and sign Dupuis or Ribeiro as UFA. It's like the economy's relationship to consumer confidence; just like SterioDesign said, who will even want to entertain the idea of signing here when they see us not doing enough to keep our key players around?

Just like how we didn't make a move for Kovalchuk? DGMW, I'm not expecting anything in this respect, but to say "we all know" is silly. NO ONE KNOWS what Lou is going to do yet.  It's entirely too early to think like this or base this opinion on fvcking Clarkson of all people. Do you expect us to make the playoffs just b/c we brought back Clarkson? I'm not worried about Elias. He's not going to leave unless there are other issues in play. But to say with such assurance that we're not doing this or that is ludicrous. Do you expect Henrique and Zajac to sh!t the bed offensively again this coming season? 

This is basically bullsh!t. There's no other word for it. It's not being scared of overpaying. Overpaying the right people is fine. Parise was worth overpaying. Elias, even now, is worth overpaying. Clarkson is NOT worth overpaying, and when I say overpaying, I say 5+.

The whole point  is that it's too damn early to think like this and the amount of negative assumption is literally insane! 

David Clarkson does not make or break this team. Does his production (if lost) need to be replaced? Sure, but we won't know how or if it will until its possible to do it. Clarkson had 24 points this season. 15 of them were in the first 15 games. 9 over the remaining 33 in a shortened season. Yea, he's worth 5M per year. Please.

Edited by ghdi

I don't really doubt that we'll re-sign Elias, I think he's staying. But if we don't re-sign Clarkson and he gets a $4-5M contract (not over) elsewhere, I'll say we're not doing enough. But at this stage, this is only speculation and what-if message board banter, so we can't really pass that judgment on our GM, yet.

I just think the whole FA won't want to come here is silly. I have a feeling players take things like would I like living there? Is the team run well? Will I be paid adequately? Rather then, what did they pay their pending UFAs? Or their financials are a mess, so forget it. These guys get guaranteed money on their contracts, it's not like if a team is a mess financially, they won't get paid or something. To me, it just seems like that would not be an issue to players besides how it might affect the team's overall performance and ability for himself to be on a playoff team.

That's how it's done in NJ though; rarely has Lou paid big money for the top UFA's.  Lou really doesn't get involved in the bidding wars for the top UFAs, with Kovy being the only recent exception.

That being said, Lou is always active.  And he's made competitive offers to the most important Devils' UFA's recently (Parise).  Top talent leaves because there's always that idiot GM that's willing to offer too much money over too long a term.  I, for one, am glad that that GM isn't Lou.

Edited by Devilsfan118

We also need to face the reality that if Vanderbeek is still looking for a minority partner and is therefore footing the bill himself until he finds one, that there may be an internal cap.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

its not about not signing there because the GM is not overpaying a UFA. It's about looking at the structure of the team and organization for the future and who your gonna be playing with, thats what players are looking for. Why do you think there's a bunch of players who wants to join the Pens or LA? cause if youre a winger you know you're gonna have a good center.

The Devils are not a shoe in contender like we were for the longest time. We don't have long term signed players other than Kovalchuk that another player would dream to play with. Our goalie situation is quite scary and god knows whats up in the future? We don't even know if Lou will still be here in a few years the guy is like 104 years old.

like i said somewhere else, i'd be surprised if guys like Horton or Ryder or whoever is out there would be thrilled to play with Zajac or a rookie who couldnt crack LA's lineup.

ghdi took the words out of my mouth.  I don't think this fanbase is proud of being at the salary floor.  It's not 2000 anymore, there's a salary cap now, everyone's on presumably equal footing, or as equal as it's going to get.  But by participating in the free agent market, you basically hope not to lose.  Every so often a good signing happens and fans whine that their team didn't do it (the current one being P.A. Parenteau, which is a fair contract for a good player).  And sometimes you've got to participate because you don't have a choice (NJ in 2007 with Dainius Zubrus, e.g.).

I don't mind letting players walk out the door when there's low cost alternatives.

The Devils are in the middle of teams that are appealing to free agents.  Taxes aren't murder, the media is forgiving and small, the team has a history of winning, it's close to New York, the Devils have typically spent like a mid-market team since McMullen sold the team (exceptions being when NJ was way up above the cap in years like 2011 and 2007).  These garbage rumors don't change that.  It's paranoia.

its not about not signing there because the GM is not overpaying a UFA. It's about looking at the structure of the team and organization for the future and who your gonna be playing with, thats what players are looking for. Why do you think there's a bunch of players who wants to join the Pens or LA? cause if youre a winger you know you're gonna have a good center.

The Devils are not a shoe in contender like we were for the longest time. We don't have long term signed players other than Kovalchuk that another player would dream to play with. Our goalie situation is quite scary and god knows whats up in the future? We don't even know if Lou will still be here in a few years the guy is like 104 years old.

like i said somewhere else, i'd be surprised if guys like Horton or Ryder or whoever is out there would be thrilled to play with Zajac or a rookie who couldnt crack LA's lineup.

Gimme a break.  Players go where they get paid.  Oh boo hoo we can't get Jarome Iginla, tough break for us!  We don't have anyone who players dream to play with - this is a media creation.  Yeah, all else being equal, guys want to go to places where there are already great players.  However, these teams, thanks to the salary cap, don't always have a lot of money.

Also yeah LA's gotten lots of free agents over the years like what's his name.

Edited by Triumph

Gimme a break.  Players go where they get paid.  Oh boo hoo we can't get Jarome Iginla, tough break for us!  We don't have anyone who players dream to play with - this is a media creation.  Yeah, all else being equal, guys want to go to places where there are already great players.  However, these teams, thanks to the salary cap, don't always have a lot of money.

They go where they get paid yeah lol which is not in NJ i think its safe to say. They didnt have to sign anyone look at their roster. One of our top player is one who couldnt crack their lineup, its saying a lot.

It's not media creating players OFTEN come out and say they signed somewhere cause they wanted to play with this and this guy. Why do you think Iginla changed his mind and he clearly said he choose Pittsburgh cause he wanted to play with malkin and Crosby. A big lol to him for that though haha

Players always say there is reason X, Y, and Z why they chose whichever team they ended up with but those reasons almost always seem to coincide with whatever team was offering the most money or security.

The reasons X, Y, and Z change from player to player but the money part is strangely consistent, since it usually isn't brought up as one of the reasons yet appears to be the strongest.

They go where they get paid yeah lol which is not in NJ i think its safe to say. They didnt have to sign anyone look at their roster. One of our top player is one who couldnt crack their lineup, its saying a lot.

Yeah, it's saying that they don't know how to keep talent at the margins.  The Devils, again, are not this cheap team - let's remove the stigmas from 2000.  You can't win in this league without paying someone, and you can't step on a player's head for six years like you could under the old system.  Have the Devils had a contract holdout since the 2005 CBA was signed?

It's not media creating players OFTEN come out and say they signed somewhere cause they wanted to play with this and this guy. Why do you think Iginla changed his mind and he clearly said he choose Pittsburgh cause he wanted to play with malkin and Crosby. A big lol to him for that though haha

It's a media creation because no one ever says they come to a place because it's who paid them the most money.  So they come up with other reasons like 'Yeah, I really wanted to come here because they win' or 'because they have this great player.'  or 'because they gave me a chance'.  

Jason Arnott and Marek Zidlicky waived no-trade clauses to come here.  NJ's right in the middle of NHL destinations - it's not going way up or way down without a significant change.

Edited by Triumph

apply-cold-water-to-the-burned-area-240x

But seriously, this whole "oh players don't want to play in NJ" thing is being blown way out of proportion.  Like, comically so.

NJ is a very attractive market.  Right now the finances may not permit spending to the cap, but this team wouldn't struggle to attract UFA's because of the area.  Lou just doesn't spend stupid money on big name players (look over the river to see a GM who does, and look how his team has done).

I was going to rebut, but I think my argument was made for me.

I'll worry about this team when we lose players we never thought we could live without like Elias, Parise left, but it wasn't because we couldn't keep him, it's that he ain't worth that contract or the $20M he got upfront.

And with all the anecdotal evidence being tossed around, remember this, Doan sat around for A WHILE just so he could stay in Phoenix, proving that it's not just about going to a big market or to a place with big name players.

Edited by ATLL765

I was going to rebut, but I think my argument was made for me.

I'll worry about this team when we lose players we never though we could live without like Elias, Parise left, but it wasn't because we couldn't keep him, it's that he ain't worth that contract or the $20M he got upfront.

And with all the anecdotal evidence being tossed around, remember this, Doan sat around for A WHILE just so he could stay in Phoenix, proving that it's not just about going to a big market or to a place with big name players.

I think players staying where they're already happy is the one exception to the idea.  It's a hassle to move, especially with a family, so if you're already happy in a location, that adds a lot of value that other locations can't offer.  Going back home can be in that same category.

I think players staying where they're already happy is the one exception to the idea.  It's a hassle to move, especially with a family, so if you're already happy in a location, that adds a lot of value that other locations can't offer.  Going back home can be in that same category.

That's one thing that keeps me optimistic about a player like Clarkson. It also makes me think that someone like Briere might seriously consider an "okay" (but not great) deal with the Devils, especially considering some of the things he's been saying to the media lately.

Edited by DJ Eco

That's one thing that keeps me optimistic about a player like Clarkson. 

It cuts both ways with him though. The lure of going home to Toronto is a real possibility and his kid is still a baby. Its not like Doan who has a bunch of kids and some of whom are prob teens now.

Edited by ghdi

as far as clarkson goes, i really feel he is a loyal guy and player to this team.. however i do not think he will just re sign here until he explores the market to see what other offers he can get.. i think if lou will match or even come close to paying him what his other offers bring then he will stay.. if there is a large pay difference from another team that devils cannot match then ... what would you do? obviously he will go with a bigger payment for the same job in a different location

The Rags have 14 million in cap space. They have Stepan, Hagelin, Zuccarello, Sauer, and Mcdonagh as RFA's this summer. Any idea how much these guys may seek collectively? It has to be at least 10-12 million combined putting the Rags up against the cap so I really can't see where they go free agent shopping to improve.

The Rags have 14 million in cap space. They have Stepan, Hagelin, Zuccarello, Sauer, and Mcdonagh as RFA's this summer. Any idea how much these guys may seek collectively? It has to be at least 10-12 million combined putting the Rags up against the cap so I really can't see where they go free agent shopping to improve.

Don't sell them short. Sather will figure something out.