Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Well the whole way the arena came in was a cluster F. They had the arena built before they completed land swaps and James was rushing the building so that Cory wouldn't pull out on it. Ideally, land swaps would have been completed with claw-backs and the possible use of Eminent to domain to require a build out in the area and the process would have started back when the Devils and Nets had the same owner. This all being said, we are now seeing the growth we talked about coinciding with the turn around in the economy. Certainly the Devils playing hardball with the rent doesn't help the outside image but this is business and good business people take advantage of opportunity, especially when it's inept local government.

no disrespect .. but walking around the restaurant/bar scene of hoboken this w/e .. I couldnt help wishing that the devs would have built their arena there...sad.gif

There wouldnt be a restaurant/bar scene in Hoboken if the Devils played there because the town of Hoboken would collapse under the weght of an arena.

no disrespect .. but walking around the restaurant/bar scene of hoboken this w/e .. I couldnt help wishing that the devs would have built their arena there...sad.gif

Yeah it should have been built in Hoboken like McMullen wanted because of all the Devils fans who live in NYC according to him... :rolleyes:

Yeah it should have been built in Hoboken like McMullen wanted because of all the Devils fans who live in NYC according to him... :rolleyes:

at the time maybe there was some research that backed that strange statement ... regardless, I maintain that hoboken for many reasons, would have been a much desirable option

at the time maybe there was some research that backed that strange statement ... regardless, I maintain that hoboken for many reasons, would have been a much desirable option

Haha what research? I honestly do not remember him citing anything.

However he was mocked and ridiculed at the time for even suggesting that (and rightfully so).

I just don't see where you would put it in Hoboken.. The city is completely developed, so you'd have to knock down a lot of apartment building and shops (which are already doing well) to build the arena.. It would be too expensive to do that

I just don't see where you would put it in Hoboken.. The city is completely developed, so you'd have to knock down a lot of apartment building and shops (which are already doing well) to build the arena.. It would be too expensive to do that

It would have been right next to the train station. On newly reclaimed land from what I remember. I also heard it might have been a "floating" arena on the water next to the station, but not sure about that either. This is what I can find right now and I remember about 10 years ago when they were talking about it they had a picture of a model of the arena.

Devils2.jpg

Logistically it made no sense to put it there. It's worse than the new Barclays Center, with the traffic, unloading/loading, etc. Plus there's only 1 good bar across from the proposed site; you'd have to walk to places just like now.

Bottom line is the largest city in the state with one of the important transit hubs on the east coast should have the arena, like it or not.

It would have been right next to the train station. On newly reclaimed land from what I remember. I also heard it might have been a "floating" arena on the water next to the station, but not sure about that either. This is what I can find right now and I remember about 10 years ago when they were talking about it they had a picture of a model of the arena.

Devils2.jpg

Floating on the water is about the only place you could put an arena in Hoboken. And believe me, five years ago, I would have killed for the new arena to be in Hoboken instead of Newark, but Hoboken just can't support it. The place is overdeveloped and crowded as hell as it is (50,000 people in one square mile). The city wasn't designed to handle the number of people that pass through it, especially on days like the St. Patrick's Day parade or Independence Day. Driving and parking on game nights would have been a clusterfvck.

The proposal for Hoboken was to build the arena on a platform above the rail yard, basically like they are doing with Atlantic yards. The rendering above looks like the perspective is from Pier A looking at the Lackawana plaza in the foreground with the arena facing onto Hudson Place.

The traffic would have been an absolute nightmare!

Where exactly on Ferry is that? I tried a new-ish place on Market, Catas, a few weeks ago. Very good, a hip joint. Mostly tapas.

This is right after Mompou & Iberia on the opposite side of the street. No idea when they are actually going to open but it is restaurant week this week so I will have to eat my way to that answer.

This is right after Mompou & Iberia on the opposite side of the street. No idea when they are actually going to open but it is restaurant week this week so I will have to eat my way to that answer.

Cool. I may be down that way next weekend in conjunction w/ Cherry Blossom Festival. I'll keep an eye open, and a belly empty!

• 2 weeks later...

Realized this thread hadn't been updated...here is info on Panasonics now official move to Newark

Love it or hate it, Panasonic's coming...

Panasonic will move North American headquarters from Secaucus to Newark

Published: Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 1:46 PM Updated: Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 1:57 PM

By Star-Ledger Staff The Star-Ledger

Follow

Share Email Print

Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger

Panasonic plans to move into a building on Raymond Boulevard in Newark set to be built in the lot pictured in the center of this January photo.

NEWARK — Global electronics giant Panasonic will be moving to Newark, Mayor Cory Booker said today, marking one of the biggest development coups of his administration.

"It's historic. We've been seeing so much progress in the last four years," Booker said this morning. "This is heralding to the globe that Newark is one of the most significant players on the Eastern seaboard."

Booker will make the official announcement tomorrow with Lieutenant Governor Kim Guadagno at a morning press conference. The move comes after months of wrangling by the administration during which the company was eyeing space in Brooklyn, Atlanta, Chicago and California for its North American headquarters.

Panasonic was looking to relocate its North American headquarters into a new facility, but the company's current landlord, Hartz Mountain Industries, did not let them go without a fight. Hartz filed an appeal seeking to stop the state's

Economic Development Authority from issuing a $102 million transit hub tax credit for the move.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

• Panasonic gives strongest indication yet of a move to Newark

• Panasonic gets tax credit approval for Newark move

• Panasonic considering move to shovel-ready Newark spot

"The tortured application of the law in this case has effectively established an open invitation for one New Jersey municipality to poach businesses from another at the taxpayers' expense," Allen Magrini, senior vice president of Hartz Mountain, said in a statement. "This was certainly not the intention of our Legislature, especially when, as is the case here, there are no new jobs being created as a result of the $102 million grant."

The town of Secaucus joined Hartz Mountain in objecting, saying the tax credit was unfair to certain townships.

"Our issue is we shouldn't be using that pool of money attracting a company that's already in New Jersey," Secaucus

Mayor Michael Gonnelli said. "It's going to hurt one town to help another town, and we just don't think that's what the legislation was intended to do."

Ted Zangari, a corporate real estate attorney who helped write the Urban Transit Hub tax credit legislation, said the credit was designed to benefit the state on the whole by promoting smart growth and getting ratables to nine of the state's neediest cities.

What it has done, Zangari said, is give New Jersey an important carrot in attracting and retaining national and global companies.

"If a company is truly at risk of leaving our state or considering whether to move here, then the issue is not about pitting town against town, it's about the reality that New Jersey is being pitted against competing states," Zangari said. "The ultimate goal is to make sure businesses expand and relocate here."

By David Giambusso and Sarah Portlock/The Star-Ledger

Had an interesting conversation with a bunch of different parties and I thought it was interesting to see that in the background they are still negotiating the land swaps for triangle park. I wish that meant the Edison would build something but that's still pretty unlikely.