So I'm going to a College in Sabres/Rangers territory

JacobPaul1995

Come August 22nd, i will be attending Saint Bonaventure University to get my Ph.D in History and my Masters in Education as well as Political Science. Saint Bonaventure is smack dab right in the middle of Buffalo Sabres and Rags territory *The Allegheny Mountains*. Along with that, I'm rooming with a Sabres fan who likes to bust the Devils' chops! he's a great guy and i've already made it clear that I'm putting up Devils fatheads ALL OVER. *except the huge Marty Brodeur one, that one was a pain in the A$$ to put up* along with NHL rivalries, we also support rival Soccer teams! he likes Manchester United, and I support Liverpool FC. I'm playing Ice Hockey at Saint Bonaventure, and if I'm lucky ill be a prospect! *probably not, since St. Bona's hockey is a club sport.*

Anyone else been in this type of situation?

this can also be a discussion topic for people about to go to college/graduate college.

Come August 22nd, i will be attending Saint Bonaventure University to get my Ph.D in History and my Masters in Education as well as Political Science. Saint Bonaventure is smack dab right in the middle of Buffalo Sabres and Rags territory *The Allegheny Mountains*. Along with that, I'm rooming with a Sabres fan who likes to bust the Devils' chops! he's a great guy and i've already made it clear that I'm putting up Devils fatheads ALL OVER. *except the huge Marty Brodeur one, that one was a pain in the A$$ to put up* along with NHL rivalries, we also support rival Soccer teams! he likes Manchester United, and I support Liverpool FC. I'm playing Ice Hockey at Saint Bonaventure, and if I'm lucky ill be a prospect! *probably not, since St. Bona's hockey is a club sport.*

Anyone else been in this type of situation?

this can also be a discussion topic for people about to go to college/graduate college.

You're 18, and already have it in your head that you're getting a Ph.D and two masters degrees?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you're playing for St. Bonaventure I might see you at some point because I work at the rink Rutgers plays at, though Rutgers moved to a higher division last season so maybe not actually.

Man, the second half of my senior year of high school into my freshman year of college was easily the best year of my life.  Had a lot of great times with old friends and made a lot of new friends.  I played on the Rutgers roller hockey team and it was absolutely awesome.  It was obviously a lot of fun playing hockey against other schools, but I instantly had a bunch of new friends because we all knew we had a similar interest.  A lot of us still hang out together and play on adult league teams with each other now too.  I bet when you graduate and look back at your time in college, the time shared with your teammates at practice will be what you miss the most. 

Enjoy every second of your college years because before you know it, it will all be over.  I'm sure you are going to hear that about a thousand times in the near future like I did, but it doesn't really seem true until you're done.  I graduated three years ago and I still feel like I just moved into my freshman dorm yesterday, it's sad. 

Edited by devilsfan26

I agree with devilsfan26 for sure.

I just graduated cooledge 2 weeks ago and I know I'm gonna miss it so much, enjoy every second of it!

With that being said, I went to school in Philly.. In my opinion now it's worse. My hatred for every one of those teams has grown ten-fold.

O yea, and one of my roommates for the last four years is a big Rags fan.

i hit the jackpot didn't I?

me and my roommate made an agreement to watch A Devils game as long as i sit through a Sabres game so bleh.

Yeah i have had that degree plan for a couple years. and im 17. i want to either be a history professor in college, or a politician if there are no teaching jobs available

me and my roommate made an agreement to watch A Devils game as long as i sit through a Sabres game so bleh.

Yeah i have had that degree plan for a couple years. and im 17. i want to either be a history professor in college, or a politician if there are no teaching jobs available

Please do not become a politician. 

I graduated with a BA in History.  I did not do Education as I had no desire to teach.  While History may seem quite a useless degree if you are not going into teaching, but believe it or not it is very easy to parlay that into other jobs.

I now work in business with the same company for the last 5 and a half years.  In that time my salary has doubled and my company has grown and have damn good benefits for a private company.  Can't complain about that.

Just be careful with that Ph.D and Masters degree.  Unless you come from a rich family that can add up real quickly.  My GF has a Masters in Counseling and between her grad school at a private college and undergrad at a state college, she now owes about $90K in student loans.  That is basically like having a mortgage but without the whole home ownership and equity attached to it.

I graduated with a BA in History. I did not do Education as I had no desire to teach. While History may seem quite a useless degree if you are not going into teaching, but believe it or not it is very easy to parlay that into other jobs.

I now work in business with the same company for the last 5 and a half years. In that time my salary has doubled and my company has grown and have damn good benefits for a private company. Can't complain about that.

Just be careful with that Ph.D and Masters degree. Unless you come from a rich family that can add up real quickly. My GF has a Masters in Counseling and between her grad school at a private college and undergrad at a state college, she now owes about $90K in student loans. That is basically like having a mortgage but without the whole home ownership and equity attached to it.

Jesus Christ dude... Run like the wind

A Sabres fan? Just mention 1994, No Goal I, No Goal II, Brett Hull, 2006 eastern Conference final against the Canes, no Cups and move on. Game set and match. He will have nothing.

Take this advice from this Sabres fan. LOL

• Like 1

**** St. Bonaventure. They're our A10 rivals and will continue to get smacked down by the mighty URI basketball team( :doh1: )

Daniel- My parents are both lawyers and are urging me not to go to law school either. It's probably going to happen though. I have to take my LSATs and have one more year of undergrad, but that's the path I'm probably going to choose. CIA and FBI take one out of three law students and if I can't find a job at a firm, then I could always take over my dad's private practice.

**** St. Bonaventure. They're our A10 rivals and will continue to get smacked down by the mighty URI basketball team( :doh1: )

Daniel- My parents are both lawyers and are urging me not to go to law school either. It's probably going to happen though. I have to take my LSATs and have one more year of undergrad, but that's the path I'm probably going to choose. CIA and FBI take one out of three law students and if I can't find a job at a firm, then I could always take over my dad's private practice.

I'm a lawyer too.  If I could do it all over again, I would have done my hardest to take up a STEM based education. 

If I could give you any bit of advice it is to make absolutely sure you can handle being an attorney before going to law school, especially if you'll have to take out loans to pay for it.  Try finding a job as a paralegal or even a secretary at a decent sized firm to see what lawyers do all day, and whether you're cut out for it.  I got the big firm job out of law school without any idea of the everyday grind of it and got burnt out pretty quickly by the stress of it all.     

Edited by Daniel

I'm a lawyer too. If I could do it all over again, I would have done my hardest to take up a STEM based education.

If I could give you any bit of advice it is to make absolutely sure you can handle being an attorney before going to law school, especially if you'll have to take out loans to pay for it. Try finding a job as a paralegal or even a secretary at a decent sized firm to see what lawyers do all day, and whether you're cut out for it. I got the big firm job out of law school without any idea of the everyday grind of it and got burnt out pretty quickly by the stress of it all.

I've done some secretarial duties for my dad over the years, so I have a very general idea of what he does. Also, I'm starting an internship with an attorney who works for the state. I'll be doing that all summer, but I have no idea whether I'll just observe or will actually have a job to perform

So... you're about to become an undeclared Freshman is what you actually mean here then.  :evil:

So... you're about to become an undeclared Freshman is what you actually mean here then. :evil:

haha that's what it sounds like. Don't be surprised if you change your goals/ plans a couple times in the next couple years Edited by Onddeck