‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

Nashville losing Suter is like us losing Niedermayer even when we still had Stevens. Its a huge piece of their game.

Us losing Zach is easier to swallow. We still have Kovy & Henrique + a good forward is easier to find than a D-Man like Suter.

Yeah, but according to NHL Network's Panel Nashville will be awful losing Suter. Just forget about their whole history of being a goalie and defenseman "factory".

In addition, the Devils will be lost in the woods forever if we don't sign Marty to a lifetime contract and Zach was our only 30 goal scorer. And by the way, who is this Kovalchuk fella? He was top 5 in points this season and the top point producer in the playoffs, but he is nothing without Zach Parise.

I see from looking at these posts that I'm in the deep minority, but I honestly don't want Parise back.

I don't think he is work 8 million now, but more importantly 7 years down the line there is no way I see him being worth that much.

It has been discussed that his play is largely based on hustle and I think we will see a sharp decline outside of the 5 year mark in his level of play.

I would rather have the 8 million+ in space in the next few years to lock up Henrique and Larsson then pick up a few defenceman and depth players. Plus we could sign a few mid level FA's in the next 2 seasons as a stop gap while players develop and remain equally competitive.

I'm with you in certain respects. I don't think Zach is worth 8 million and definitely not worth a 12 year contract (which is the rumor 12/80-90). But, he's still our captain right now and came through our organization and I think that counts for a lot. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a 7-8 year deal, but not the rumored #s that are going around. We will not be a better team in the immediate without Zach.

Thing is, the cap hit at 12/80 and 12/90 is the same as Kovy (12/80) and 12/90 is 7.5, but its probably going to be frontloaded + he wants that massive signing bonus. Thats the problem IMO.

Edited by ghdi

I'm with you in certain respects. I don't think Zach is worth 8 million and definitely not worth a 12 year contract (which is the rumor 12/80-90). But, he's still our captain right now and came through our organization and I think that counts for a lot. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a 7-8 year deal, but not the rumored #s that are going around. We will not be a better team in the immediate without Zach.

7.5 at 8 years is tops. I think there's been a lot of overhype made about Zach partially due to the fact that forwards at UFA this time are kind of slim pickings and the media needs a story.

It would be pretty neat if Lou made his pitch to Zach then called CLB to inquire about what they Jackets want for Rick Nash.

Parise is a nice complimentary player with a good center. He battles hard and you know what to expect from him but in order to get the most out of him you need to pair him up with a playmaker. He and Crosby would destroy it together. He's worth more to a team like that then he is to us. He has different values depending on the team. I just used Crosby as an example. Bottomline is what he's seeking he's just not worth that much to us. I'd rather have 2 four million dollar players (i.e. Parenteau)than Parise at his current cost.

I am sure that talking with his fiance one of her top concerns is "where" they will be living for the next 10+ years. I can see why people who are not from the NJ area might not want to live here, heck I am not even that big a fan of the state and I was born here. It's a big decision, but a sh!tload of money makes anything easier.

I think the big speculation, I'm looking at you specifically Pierre"Penguins"McGuire, that with Parise the Pens will be absolutely dominant is just that, speculation. That's like saying that because NYR had Gretz and messier they would win the Stanley Cup. Bottom line, without bolstering bolstering the blue line, the Pens are better with Zach, but nto absolute juggernauts. The Pens are, after all, a team that got the crap beat out of them in a shooting contest with the Flyers.

I am sure that talking with his fiance one of her top concerns is "where" they will be living for the next 10+ years. I can see why people who are not from the NJ area might not want to live here, heck I am not even that big a fan of the state and I was born here. It's a big decision, but a sh!tload of money makes anything easier.

I think that clip shows me more than anything that we are in some serious sh!t financially.

It's all oh so complicated.

I mean Detroit and Pittsburgh? Malkin is not going to be a Penguin forever playing second fiddle to Sid the Skid. If Zach signs there long term he better be prepared for the game plan of the Pens front office which is "Be really good for 7 years, then suck and tank for 7 years."

And Detroit? C'mon! Have you ever seen the Joe Louis arena on a weekday game. It rivals the rock as far as turnout Monday through Friday. I'm sure if we had as many fans not living in Michigan as Detroit we'd be in better shape.

It's all down to our financial problems. If Zach goes he goes and he's not a standup guy like Shane Doan, he's a punk tailcoat rider like Paul Martin.

I think that clip shows me more than anything that we are in some serious sh!t financially.

I think so too. It might be a bumpy ride for a few years, but in the end, I think we'll be ok. Dallas and the Texas Rangers under Tom Hicks were an even bigger sh!t-storm, and they're both doing ok now.

If not overpaying for Zach is the worst that happens when this is all done, that's not so bad.

Losing Zach will be a bitter pill to swallow though, especially if he ends up signing with the Penguins.

I mean Detroit and Pittsburgh? Malkin is not going to be a Penguin forever playing second fiddle to Sid the Skid. If Zach signs there long term he better be prepared for the game plan of the Pens front office which is "Be really good for 7 years, then suck and tank for 7 years."

And Detroit? C'mon! Have you ever seen the Joe Louis arena on a weekday game. It rivals the rock as far as turnout Monday through Friday. I'm sure if we had as many fans not living in Michigan as Detroit we'd be in better shape.

It's all down to our financial problems. If Zach goes he goes and he's not a standup guy like Shane Doan, he's a punk tailcoat rider like Paul Martin.

Ok tough guy, would you leave $20 million on the table to be a "standup guy". Because I think that's what it ultimately comes down to.

Losing Zach will be a bitter pill to swallow though, especially if he ends up signing with the Penguins.

Even if we were sitting pretty financially, I'd have a tough time with a 12 year deal for Zach. It will suck to see him still in the division. I really hope if he walks its to Detroit or Minnesota.

Um, he'd be choosing between Detriot, Pittsburgh and New Jersey and you think New Jersey is the least attractive place to live of the three?

Detriot is a sh!thole and Pittsburgh is so nice that the outer realm of Pittsburgh, in the winter, was used to film "The Road".

I'm not of the camp that if Zach signs here, automatically he's a swell guy, but if he doesn't, he's not only a turncoat, but won't possibly have it as good anywhere else as he had it here. The league is as year-to-year as it gets these days...if he goes to the Pens or the Wings, he could very easily win a Cup with either team.

Life will go on for the Devils and Devil fans with or without Zach...if he doesn't return, we'll find out what Lou's Plan B is soon enough.

Um, he'd be choosing between Detriot, Pittsburgh and New Jersey and you think New Jersey is the least attractive place to live of the three?

Detriot is a sh!thole and Pittsburgh is so nice that the outer realm of Pittsburgh, in the winter, was used to film "The Road".

Pittsburgh is a great city for sports. I can't sh!t on it. I really enjoyed it there. They'll embrace him. He will also be rich, so its not like he'd be living in 8 Mile if he went to Motown. The Detroit suburbs are not downtown. He plays in Newark right now for fvcks sake lol.

I think so too. It might be a bumpy ride for a few years, but in the end, I think we'll be ok. Dallas and the Texas Rangers under Tom Hicks were an even bigger sh!t-storm, and they're both doing ok now.

If not overpaying for Zach is the worst that happens when this is all done, that's not so bad.

Ok tough guy, would you leave $20 million on the table to be a "standup guy". Because I think that's what it ultimately comes down to.

Hey, I'm not being a tough guy. What I'm saying though is that there should be some loyalty. Marty was grossly underpaid under his last contract but stayed out of loyalty. And yes, if I was guaranteed somewhere in the range of 7.5 million dollars over a span of time I might consider leaving it on the table. It's not like he's getting paid hourly or anything like that. 20 mil or not, Zach would still be sitting pretty for the rest of his life.

Plus, both Detroit and Pittsburgh got knocked out in the first round this season. The Devils went to the Stanley Cup. I know we have financial issues, but I don't see what's blatantly more attractive about those two clubs when the team you're currently with came within 2 games of winning the big enchilada.

Pittsburgh is a great city for sports. I can't sh!t on it. I really enjoyed it there. They'll embrace him. He will also be rich, so its not like he'd be living in 8 Mile if he went to Motown. The Detroit suburbs are not downtown. He plays in Newark right now for fvcks sake lol.

Detriot is still a depressed mess that people are fleeing. And Pittsburgh is hardly beautiful either. I'm just saying your point makes no sense, you make it sound like it's the choice between Scottsdale, Maui and Camden. And Pittsburgh is a great town for sports, if you're the Steelers, if you're anyone else, you better be winning. Or do we forget the Dick Tarnstrom era?

I'm not of the camp that if Zach signs here, automatically he's a swell guy, but if he doesn't, he's not only a turncoat, but won't possibly have it as good anywhere else as he had it here. The league is as year-to-year as it gets these days...if he goes to the Pens or the Wings, he could very easily win a Cup with either team.

Life will go on for the Devils and Devil fans with or without Zach...if he doesn't return, we'll find out what Lou's Plan B is soon enough.

Well so far Lou's plan looks like it involves Cam Janssen.

Detriot is still a depressed mess that people are fleeing. And Pittsburgh is hardly beautiful either. I'm just saying your point makes no sense, you make it sound like it's the choice between Scottsdale, Maui and Camden. And Pittsburgh is a great town for sports, if you're the Steelers, if you're anyone else, you better be winning. Or do we forget the Dick Tarnstrom era?

"If you're winning" goes for just about every single sports city in this country, and even more so for hockey. Pittsburgh isn't beautiful, there are parts that are, but its hardly a DMZ or the worst place you can consider going. Again, he's currently playing in NEWARK. Just about any city with hockey in this country is a step up from that. Newark is still a sh!thole for the most part. As is Detroit. But he doesnt live in Newark and he wont be living in Detroit.

And we're forgetting Minnesota. Minneapolis is gorgeous compared to the three cities we're discussing and even better outside of it.

Edited by ghdi

Pittsburgh is actually pretty nice. The surrounding suburbs of Detroit are some of the best in the world. Same as the suburbs of Newark I would add.

I don't think location matters, except that I don't think he was ever going to sign with a Canadian team.

Don't forget he'll have a silly little Penguin on the front of his jersey or a winged wheel that doesn't have anything to do with Detroit anymore. :dance: I'd rather have that dancing banana on my jersey over those two silyl little "icons".

Well so far Lou's plan looks like it involves Cam Janssen.

We'll see what it is after Marty and Parise either return or leave. This all has a ways to go yet.

"If you're winning" goes for just about every single sports city in this country, and even more so for hockey. Pittsburgh isn't beautiful, there are parts that are, but its hardly a DMZ or the worst place you can consider going. Again, he's currently playing in NEWARK. Just about any city with hockey in this country is a step up from that. Newark is still a sh!thole for the most part. As is Detroit. But he doesnt live in Newark and he wont be living in Detroit.

And we're forgetting Minnesota. Minneapolis is gorgeous compared to the three cities we're discussing and even better outside of it.

Minnesota is a non-factor. If he wants to go there, he wants to go there, it would be a decision based of "where I want to live" more than it would be "where I want to play hockey".

Still not getting it, the Pens are a huge "since 2006" fanbase. They were drawing like the Pirates.

I forgot about Josefson on the third line so:

Kovy-Zajac-Henrique

Jagr-Elias-Sykora

Clarkson-Zubrus-Josefson

Carter-Bernier-Gionta

I don't give a fvck who the Penguins or Rags dress, that's still a hell of an offensive roster at a budget price.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.