True cost of being a STH

Blown01NJ

As some of you know, I createda little excel utility at the beginning of the year to keep track of my STH costs. This is how it turned out.

97523268062952652307.png

Made some money on games and lost on others. Took my GF to games for free here and there, sold some to friends for cheap etc. What it boils down to is 15 regular season games and 9 playoff games attended for a total cost of $1855. (Including beers,transportation, etc) Really not bad. It was however quite a commitment, and with my finances right now for the moment I've decided not to lay out the cash for nexy year, although that may change.

Edited by Blown01NJ

That is like adding up thre cost of your gf. If you do it for love you don't add it up. Did you buy the sth tix as a business deal or as a fan?

That being said, sometimes you just can't afford to continue the commitment.

That's ok. We understand.

That is like adding up thre cost of your gf. If you do it for love you don't add it up. Did you buy the sth tix as a business deal or as a fan?

I'm anal and I have a strict budget. But youre right.

I remember when my Dad took an average of how many hours he spent watching the NY Jets. Personally I wouldn't want to know how many hours of my life I invested in a team, but if those hours or in this case, dollars, brought you some joy, then it wasn't a waste.

Being there when Henrique scored in OT of game 6 vs Rangers =Priceless :yay:

I had the option of spending the extra money on this years playoffs since I had the all-star plan. Not knowing what was coming I denied. (Mainly due to funds)

Most likely, one of the worst mistakes I've ever made.

I remember when you said you were doing this at the beginning of the season. Thanks for sticking with it and sharing the results.

The criticisms about it being nitpicky are valid, but it also serves as a window into the investment required to be a STH. I realize you can simply multiply the ticket price by the number of games to get a ballpark figure, but breaking it down like this makes the picture so much clearer. Also, adding in the concessions and transportation expenses and the revenues and fees involved with selling seats you don't use is a nice touch as it takes into account those ancillary numbers you don't usually think about.

thats and awesome response. lol good one.

As some of you know, I createda little excel utility at the beginning of the year to keep track of my STH costs. This is how it turned out.

97523268062952652307.png

Made some money on games and lost on others. Took my GF to games for free here and there, sold some to friends for cheap etc. What it boils down to is 15 regular season games and 9 playoff games attended for a total cost of $1855. (Including beers,transportation, etc) Really not bad. It was however quite a commitment, and with my finances right now for the moment I've decided not to lay out the cash for nexy year, although that may change.

Its a part time job I pay to attend..

I say this all the time but having to pay full price for those god damn pre-season games always pisses me off. They should at least be half price for full season ticket holders. It's half a real roster so it should be half the damn price.

How do other NHL teams do the pre-season with season ticket holders?

I know people with NFL season tickets that HATE having to buy the pre-season tix as well...but thats the only way they offer it

How do other NHL teams do the pre-season with season ticket holders?

I know people with NFL season tickets that HATE having to buy the pre-season tix as well...but thats the only way they offer it

I know the Rangers make their season ticket holders buy pre-season tickets at full price as well so I assume almost all the teams charge full price but with the new garden renovations they don't have any pre-season games to pay for this year and next season.

At least in the NFL it's only 8 regular season games + 2 pre-season games but then there are PSLs and that's a whole other issue.

I think half off pre-season tickets would be fair for full season ticket holders but it won't ever happen and I'll still be complaining about it every year.

I keep joking around that the only good thing about the lockout will be that I won't have to pay or go to pre-season games :lol:

Edited by Satans Hockey

The NFL is far worse cause preseason is literally 20% of the schedule. Hockey is less than 7% (3/44), plus you see players actually in the system even if they don't make the team.

And technically, preseason games are value price under the tiered pricing system.

97523268062952652307.png

very nice! it's cool to see how much you invest in things. my brother and his friend has seasont tickets last year. my one ticket aganst the rangers and one against the king totaled together was so much more money than what my brother paid for the ECF and STF rounds... :argh: but this was so cool

I spent days of my life just waiting for warmups.

yes you did. :evil:

I had the option of spending the extra money on this years playoffs since I had the all-star plan. Not knowing what was coming I denied. (Mainly due to funds)

Most likely, one of the worst mistakes I've ever made.

I made the same mistake too. Was offered to go the game but with money and hoping they would advance, i would want as much saved as possible, i didn't go. BUT! I did wear my Henrique jersey to Buffalo Wild Wings where three quarters of the bar exploded with cheers when we won :yea: