Souviner soda/beer cups

GIANTS79

I've been a Devils fan for a long time and this is something I haven't paid attention to until the last few years.  I was curious if the Devils have a lot of different soda cups over the years.  In my collection I have some nice soda cups from the past couple of years (2012 playoffs, a 30th anniversay cup, devils army, jersey's team, prudential first season, etc) and then prior to Prudential I have a cup that says 2003 playoffs, 2004 playoffs, and "join the crowd wear white" during the 02 playoffs. 

For those of you that are into that sort of thing did they have soda cups for the 10th anniversary, 25th, anything for the final game or season at the meadowlands, anything saying stanley cup champs following the 3 years they won, etc?  (i don't remember seeing anything like that, other than just standard cups that had the logo for the reg season and then would say playoffs in the post season, but I also wasn't fully paying attention either until I started to notice some nice souviner cups that they've had at prudential the last few years).  I know Aramark did the cups at the meadowlands for the few that I do have.

Honestly I am not sure but the only thing I do know is that I got a sh!tload of cups that I got either for free from the Devils, or part of a ticket deal or when I bought a jumbo soda (though I haven't bought a jumbo soda from the rock in about 3-4 years).  They are alright and good for random stuff but never really collected them for the sake of having a collection.  They are just good utility cups that happen to break fairly easily for some reason in my experiences.

There is a slight chance that I am wrong on this but "souvenir soda" cups during the regular season go back to the first season at the Rock.  For the first 2 seasons, they were the same holgram-type image of the Rock.  In the third season, they started with the ones that you have (Jersey's Team, 30th (don't even get me started on their stupidity on this one), Devils Army, etc.).

At the Meadowlands, they usually had a souvenir cup for the playoffs only going back to at least 1995.  If I get a chance, I will try to take a picture of some examples but that would require some digging so don't get your hopes up.

There are cups/mugs out there for the 10th Anniversary but those were SGAs for the most part and not sold.  I don't know about the 25th Season.  I am pretty sure that the team did not commemorate the last game at the Meadowlands in any way.

Edited by BCdevil

I really liked those hologram-type cups from the first and second seasons at the Rock. I still have a couple.

Maybe someone can post photos of those other cups?

I also have a coffee mug with a picture of the Rock drawn on it that I bought from behind the Devils Den glass counter that first year.

Edited by 95Crash

the Hologram cups are they the exact same cup, or did they have different versions?  I have one for prudential (doesn't have a year, first season or anything like that, just a big picture of prudential in a hologram form)

I really liked those hologram-type cups from the first and second seasons at the Rock. I still have a couple.

Maybe someone can post photos of those other cups?

I also have a coffee mug with a picture of the Rock drawn on it that I bought from behind the Devils Den glass counter that first year.

so you are saying that in the reg season they didn't really have a special devils cup until that first year at the Rock?

only reg season cup I got from the meadowlands just had a couple of images of the NJ logo and said Aramark.  Nothing special, i did keep it anyway.  (not sure If I got that in 05-06 or 03-04)

and i think I have seen the 95 playoff cup, i think it has the 95 cup logo on there.  the 03 and 04 playoff cups I have just say 2003 playoffs and 2004 playoffs, doesn't have the cup logo or anything like that, and it does have the NJ logo.

that's very cool the devils had a 10th anniversary cup, I would love to get one of those.  A person I dealt with on e-bay a few years ago told me they did have a devils 25th cup but they weren't willing to part with it. 

and as you said I haven't seen anythiing related to the last year at the meadowlands, they had their 25th that year and I don't think they did anything in terms of a last year at the meadowlands logo for anything (pucks, cups, pins, etc)

There is a slight chance that I am wrong on this but "souvenir soda" cups during the regular season go back to the first season at the Rock.  For the first 2 seasons, they were the same holgram-type image of the Rock.  In the third season, they started with the ones that you have (Jersey's Team, 30th (don't even get me started on their stupidity on this one), Devils Army, etc.).

At the Meadowlands, they usually had a souvenir cup for the playoffs only going back to at least 1995.  If I get a chance, I will try to take a picture of some examples but that would require some digging so don't get your hopes up.

There are cups/mugs out there for the 10th Anniversary but those were SGAs for the most part and not sold.  I don't know about the 25th Season.  I am pretty sure that the team did not commemorate the last game at the Meadowlands in any way.

Edited by GIANTS79

the Hologram cups are they the exact same cup, or did they have different versions?  I have one for prudential (doesn't have a year, first season or anything like that, just a big picture of prudential in a hologram form)

Same cup. I didn't mean to imply they were different.

so you are saying that in the reg season they didn't really have a special devils cup until that first year at the Rock?

That's what I am saying.  I guess I should have pointed out that they did have some thin plastic ones (think the current fast food cups) for large sodas for at least one year at the Meadowlands but I wasn't including them in the hard, collectible ones that we are talking about.  The ones that they had featured a Devils logo, red and black and generic shapes/objects, like a shooting player or something like like that, from what I can remember.  They were very '90s.

Same cup. I didn't mean to imply they were different.

Now that you mention it,  I think that there was a non-hologram version for a very brief time.  I am not sure if I have one but they used them at the condiment stands for a part of last year.  I don't remember them ever selling them with sodas.

As an aside, at some point a year or two ago, someone from the Devils was on HF Boards looking for different promo ideas.  I mentioned the idea of a collectors series of soda cups, not as a giveaway but at the concession stands.  The possibilities are endless.  They could include themes like:

Milestones (Martys wins, Patty's points, Daneyko's games, etc.)

Other major moments (Marty's goal, '88 game in Chicago, Sundstrom's 8 point night)

Captains (could be the potential for more than one here)

All Stars (again, could do multiple versions of this one)

Trophy Winners (Lemaire, Madden, Brodeur, Gomez, Daneyko)

Each season (team picture, record, photos of important moments, etc.)

Draft picks

All-Rookie team (Brodeur, Niedermayer, Todd, Gomez, Rafalski, Henrique, Weinrich, Sykora, Elias, White, Bergfors)

Hall of Famers (Stastny, Fetisov, Larionov, Stevens, Lou, Doc)

Coaches

Team MVPs

Uniforms

Special events (Retirement nights, last game at CAA, first game at the Rock)

Edited by BCdevil

Do people really collect these cups?  I can imagine some do, but I do not think on the same level as people collect jerseys, equipment, shirts, pins, hats, autographs and other memoribilia,

I think a decent amount do.  If they are making them anyway, why not make them more collectible and try to sell more?  I don't buy soda at the arena anymore but I would get one each of any of the ones I listed.

I do like soda a lot, but I don't really drink too much of it to try and keep in shape other than an occasional coke with popcorn or pizza.  but I do get soda at games to get the cups.

I think a decent amount do.  If they are making them anyway, why not make them more collectible and try to sell more?  I don't buy soda at the arena anymore but I would get one each of any of the ones I listed.

I know I do, I'm sure others do as well.  Everyone probably has their own interests that they really like.

I'm mostly into pins (especially special event pins like 30th, 25th, prudential first year, playoff match up pins), pucks (playoff match ups, anniversaries, jersey retirement, brodeur milestones, etc), figures like starting line up and Mcfarlane (and anyone that likes to collect Devils Mcfarlane figures knows how much we get screwed over by them with hardly having any devils, there probably 10 redwings and canadiens to every 1 devil, and probably 5 rangers, pens, and flyers to every one devil)  despite us having the best team for the last 20 years (other than Detroit)

stanley cup replicas (one of my favorite items)

and then banner sga's (which I have all of the cups and jerseys, I just need the 97 division and 88 patrick).  other sga's too like the jersey devil bobblehead, brodeur all time win goalie stick, etc.

the soda cups are on my list as things I like to collect.  there are other things I'm forgetting now, but these are some of the big things I really like to collect

I'll tell you what The Devils and the NHL have the best collectibles out of any sport.  Not only does every playoff series have a pin with the 2 teams, but they have pucks with the 2 teams, the sga banners and jersey banners they give away.  selling very solid stanley cup trophy replicas. They have done a much better job than any other sport that I follow or use to follow.

Do people really collect these cups?  I can imagine some do, but I do not think on the same level as people collect jerseys, equipment, shirts, pins, hats, autographs and other memoribilia,

Edited by GIANTS79

great insight, thanks for the info.  Did the Devil rep respond to the soda cup suggestions?  I would love to see all of those.

for trophy winners you also have to include #27 with the Norris and the two conn smyth winners (which should be 3.  Niedermayer or Broduer should have gotten that in 03 and that's a disgrace one of those didn't get it then), but the 2 as you know being Lemieux and Stevens.

I also think a jersey retirement cup would be cool that showed all the jerseys that are retired on the same cup (wait until Broduer and Elias are there) and then you can show all 5. 

the milestone and captain ones are great ideas too.  and even though they are past, maybe one month have a 10th anniversary cup, then 25th another month, then 30th another, then the 3 cup logo from 03/04, 2 cup logo from 00/01, etc

That's what I am saying.  I guess I should have pointed out that they did have some thin plastic ones (think the current fast food cups) for large sodas for at least one year at the Meadowlands but I wasn't including them in the hard, collectible ones that we are talking about.  The ones that they had featured a Devils logo, red and black and generic shapes/objects, like a shooting player or something like like that, from what I can remember.  They were very '90s.

Now that you mention it,  I think that there was a non-hologram version for a very brief time.  I am not sure if I have one but they used them at the condiment stands for a part of last year.  I don't remember them ever selling them with sodas.

As an aside, at some point a year or two ago, someone from the Devils was on HF Boards looking for different promo ideas.  I mentioned the idea of a collectors series of soda cups, not as a giveaway but at the concession stands.  The possibilities are endless.  They could include themes like:

Milestones (Martys wins, Patty's points, Daneyko's games, etc.)

Other major moments (Marty's goal, '88 game in Chicago, Sundstrom's 8 point night)

Captains (could be the potential for more than one here)

All Stars (again, could do multiple versions of this one)

Trophy Winners (Lemaire, Madden, Brodeur, Gomez, Daneyko)

Each season (team picture, record, photos of important moments, etc.)

Draft picks

All-Rookie team (Brodeur, Niedermayer, Todd, Gomez, Rafalski, Henrique, Weinrich, Sykora, Elias, White, Bergfors)

Hall of Famers (Stastny, Fetisov, Larionov, Stevens, Lou, Doc)

Coaches

Team MVPs

Uniforms

Special events (Retirement nights, last game at CAA, first game at the Rock)

I never got a response to my suggestion.  It was a posting in response to a broad request, so I wasn't expecting a direct response.  When I get a chance, I will dig it up to jog my memory over the exact circumstances.  I knew that there were more trophy winners but was drawing a blank.  It's easy to forget the Norris sometimes because he never played another game for the Devils.  In addition, I made the suggestion that they do something similar to what they did with the SC posters a few years back: when they play their Cup opponents one year, they should give out mini Cup banners that match the size of the SGA retired number banners so that people can display them together and not have them be 3 different sizes for the group of 6.

that's a great suggestion.  and not only that, but even the cup banners aren't the same size.  my 2000 and 2003 cup banners are both big and the same size, but the 95 one is a lot smaller (it's a little bigger than the jersey banner)

but is what they did in terms of having a stanley cup poster sga when they played those 3 teams again?

speaking of the Norris and Niedermayer leaving, that one still stings.  He's one of my all time favorite players, probably the most underrated player during the years I watched hockey.  I wish Lou had locked him up when he had the chance and made a move to bring his brother in to keep him happy.  I was never happy to see Mogilny go after 2001, Sykora or Arnott go, but the 2 that bothered me the most was Niedermayer and Lemieux (both times he left)  Lemieux should have stayed a devil the rest of his career and have his #22 up there in the rafters and I do wish Niedermayer was there his whole career.  I think Devils would have won a few more cups if they both never left NJ and they'll both always be two of my all time favorite devils (along with Elias, Brodeur, and Stevens)

I never got a response to my suggestion.  It was a posting in response to a broad request, so I wasn't expecting a direct response.  When I get a chance, I will dig it up to jog my memory over the exact circumstances.  I knew that there were more trophy winners but was drawing a blank.  It's easy to forget the Norris sometimes because he never played another game for the Devils.  In addition, I made the suggestion that they do something similar to what they did with the SC posters a few years back: when they play their Cup opponents one year, they should give out mini Cup banners that match the size of the SGA retired number banners so that people can display them together and not have them be 3 different sizes for the group of 6.

In '09-'10 they gave away a poster at the games against Detroit, Dallas, and Anaheim.   I might have a few extras of one or two (I know that I only got one of one of them but not sure which one).  This is the '95 version thanks to a quick Google search:

KGrHqFhEE6Y-khlBOtKg-4rPw60_35.jpg

Edited by BCdevil

I never knew of these.  thanks for sending the picture.  Looks really great!

In '09-'10 they gave away a poster at the games against Detroit, Dallas, and Anaheim.   I might have a few extras of one or two (I know that I only got one of one of them but not sure which one).  This is the '95 version thanks to a quick Google search:

KGrHqFhEE6Y-khlBOtKg-4rPw60_35.jpg

thanks for sharing pics.  I definitely have the 2nd and 3rd cup you showed.  I don't have the 2010/2011 cup, and the first cup I'm not sure what that is.  is that just a logo cup or there something on the other side?

Here are some of the cups from the last few years.  There were a bunch more but these are the ones that I have sitting around.

IMG_20130219_153818_126.jpg

thanks for sharing pics.  I definitely have the 2nd and 3rd cup you showed.  I don't have the 2010/2011 cup, and the first cup I'm not sure what that is.  is that just a logo cup or there something on the other side?

Nice catch.  It's the other side of Cup 2.

thanks for the pics.  only one I need from that batch is the 2010-2011 cup (cup 4)  and then I heard there was a 25th annivsary cup.    I'd also like to get cups that say 95, 2000, and 2001 playoffs on them (I have 03 and last year's playoff cups).  and of course that 10th sga cup you mentioned

do they have cups this year?  I haven't been to any games yet but I'm going next month.  I figured they would maybe have a drop the puck cup or something like that

Nice catch.  It's the other side of Cup 2.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.