NHL SEASON OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

PeteyNice

You know what's really sad here? I don't mean this sarcastically, either but some of you are genuinely saddened. :( Not to say I am not but I felt it was coming all along and they bascially strung everyone along for the ride and just dumped the carcasses on the side of the road with the insulting "apology".

Screw both sides, they don't care about the fans. After all the BS meetings of nothing then playing head games with each other at the last minute, who cares? Start over in late summer and let everyone get on with life because there is life outside of hockey. Players will be on the golf course in a matter of weeks, depending upon where they live and still living the high life.

Pllbbttt.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players will be on the golf course in a matter of weeks, depending upon where they live and still living the high life.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you mean business as usual for some teams? :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Yep! Why wait, though, some are booking Palm Beach as we speak!

now both sides lose, the the NHL loses teams, the cap will be very low

bettman is scum, he's destroyed the game of hockey

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...........sigh...........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sentiments exactly. I'm not exactly sure why I don't have 7 on ignore.

I am going on record right now as saying I am done.

I am on the players side but I have had enough with both of them. That they could not bridge a few million dollars to save the season makes me ill. It is a big F U to the fans from both sides. My ire grows listening to Bettman sounding certain that fans will come back. The ego drives me nuts. Just ask Selig what happened in baseball.

I still love hockey. I will continue to follow the Sound Tigers but my days of buying NHL tickets and Center Ice are over. They have shown they don't care about me and I will now show that I do not care about them.

Awww..... poor Petey needs to be loved.

Baseball misses me, I'm sure. I take it that you are leaving the board now since this is a board for an NHL team?

Even though the owners do suck and Bettman really sucks and he should be fired for reasons having NOTHING to do with this negotiation, the lion's share of blame for this mess should go to the players in the end.

First of all they were dumb enough to continue to stand on principle when they'd already sold their so-called principle (of no cap) up the river. What can the players possibly gain by turning down a $42.5 million cap now? Nothing. And they'll lose millions of dollars in a fight they'll never win. As Bettman said, now the deal HAS to be linkage and a much lower number. The players foolishly thought all along the owners would crack, despite a handful of teams nearly going bankrupt, despite the war chest, they were arrogant enough to think they could wait out the owners because that's exactly what Goodenow's buttbuddy Fehr told him would happen.

But of course baseball and hockey are two different worlds economically, which the players failed to realize. They might have realized it if A) they believed the INDEPENDENT report from Levitt and B) they took the NHL up on their offer to audit their books but they refused to believe reality. If they had, they would have realized that the owners were DEAD serious about not playing unless they not only got the deal they wanted, but NEEDED. The onus was never, ever, ever on the owners to get a deal done. The players would have made money hand over fist no matter what, all the owners wanted was a meager profit and the players wouldn't even give them that. The owners even bent and would accept the possibility of a loss and that STILL wasn't good enough for the idiot players :P There was NO WAY the owners could make any of the deal the players offered, and anyone that believes there was is too consumed with anti-Bettman bias.

And the players STILL don't get it. I heard a little bit of the Mike Peca interview on WFAN driving home and when they brought up linkage he said well the rollback is off the table now. Ayiee, they still don't get it :argh: At least Peca TALKED to the damn media though, give him credit for that, Goodenow won't even give them the courtesy of that. May Goodenow and the NHLPA rot in hell. :rant:

Edited by Hasan4978

I didn't catch who asked it, but this was a weird question:  Is there a culture difference with Goodenow being Canadian and Bettman being American, with the PA's head office being in Toronto and the NHL's head office being in New York? :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think what he meant was that the majority of the players are Canadien and foreign-born while Bettman and most of the owners are American.

You know what the worst part is? Everybody's saying they were squabbling over $6.5 million.  It was LESS than that.  Including bonuses, the NHL offer totaled $44.7 million, while the PA offer, including bonuses, totaled $49 million.

That's $4.3 million.  Or less than 10% of either proposal.

I've been staunchly pro-owner this entire time, but the fact Bettman would not accept the PA's last proposal is absolutely ludicrous.  And to suggest that every team would spend the max cap when 3/5 of the teams would be under it?  FVCK OFF!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But that doesn't take into account the soft tax which would bring the cap up to $54 million for all intents and purposes (since at least a couple of teams would go to that level in a given season). The players had to be the ones to make the last move because they will never get a deal as good as they got now. They did not.

Just quick -- if Bettman wonders why the players didn't come back with 45m -- well then I have to wonder why he didn't offer 45m when he said there was no more time to negotiate... :rolleyes: I HATE LOATH DESPISE AND ABOMINATE game playing like this. This is the mindset that is killing hockey -- it's hooking and clutching and grabbing -- it's thoughtless WIN AT ALL COSTS when you have no concept of what WIN even means! :argh: Win is NOT getting a penalty late in the game... and refusing to negotiate in the last ten minutes is NOT the same as leveling Willis! They're so freaking CLULESS!

What really gets the most is this snide, spiteful and rude kind of display used to be reserved for us commoners... bettman et al. are supposed to be above all this. What happened to diplomacy? What happen to being a gentleman. Society is one big fecking turd burger if you ask me. I personally would like to resign from society this is the equvalent of our elections of all behavior -- of road rage of just :puke: a total lack of decorum, honor... dignity respect. It's BRAINLESS and DESTRUCTIVE! I just canNOT get my head around it.

its too much time and money. no one has any real values. there isn't anything actually important except this concept of Winning and Being Right NO SIDE WINS! it's just a grand fecking mess... like our government like Iraq like EVERYTHING THE WORLD OVER.... it's not just an American thing as much as SOME would like Us to beleive. Beleive me I've driven in Canada -- the only reason it's not QUITE so bad is there aren't as many people ---- YET!

GAWD THIS SUCKS!@!!U*%(&A&*%(&^$(_&^*(_P^&*)(^% :rant:

adn I miss olp G$&*@#$&*( DMMIT!

Edited by Darwindog

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.