Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Anyone know if the Newark Ironbound Trolley will be running again this year?

That's a great question. According to their schedule, no, but it's kinda weird that it'll be running for the two Nets preseason games but not the Devils regular season games. I called the phone number on the home page and the woman I talked to said nothing had been decided yet about Devils gamenights. She took my phone number and said she'd call as soon as she heard anything. I haven't gotten a call.

That's a great question. According to their schedule, no, but it's kinda weird that it'll be running for the two Nets preseason games but not the Devils regular season games. I called the phone number on the home page and the woman I talked to said nothing had been decided yet about Devils gamenights. She took my phone number and said she'd call as soon as she heard anything. I haven't gotten a call.

I've gotta believe that it they're running it for the Nets games that they'd run it for Devils games.

I'm split on the Convention Center need. I used to be all for it, but with the rise of the internet (and reduction in the total number of businesses in this country), convention attendance has dropped precipitously over the last decade and if they built a convention center it would be competing not only with the Javits Center in NYC, but the Meadowlands Expo Center in Secaucus and the Raritan Center Convention Center in Edison. Thats a tough market to enter.

Also, in regards to where to locate something of that sort, convention centers are by their nature very space intensive. They require lots of parking, easy highway access, and lots of land for the building itself. The only places you could pull that kind of thing off in Newark is either down by the airport or in the eastern Ironbound area. Downtown couldn't and shouldn't have to handle that kind of traffic during convention days. It would make things a nightmare. I would recommend that if a convention center was viewed as viable, that it should be located out on the eastern end of the Ironbound between Raymond Boulevard and Ferry Street next to Hayes Park East but you'd also have to extend the Newark Subway through the Ironbound to make it viable which would be unspeakably expensive. That way taxis and shuttles could use Market Street to get there from downtown hotels (bypassing the worst areas of Ferry Street) and take Raymond Boulevard back.

I have noticed that the trolleys seem to have a following here but I wonder how successful they have been. I find it interesting that they run a portion of the # 1 and 25 route and have argued they should be permanent and replace the local lines. I figure this approach would make some of the other buss lines express lines than go around ferry instead of through the traffic. I have always said that the Ironbound should have never given up it's trolley system, which ran down ferry through van buren to where East side high school is now. Also, I have noticed that the Path has gone back and forth about expanding the line to the airport and I heard rumors that they are floating the idea again. If you guys are unaware the original line ran to South Street and would really open up the area bookending the arena. OH well, I guess I will start another letter writing campaign bothering politicians during election season :blahblah:

OH well, I guess I will start another letter writing campaign bothering politicians during election season :blahblah:

Don't send them to Corzine.. It's my job to open them haha (it's true) and I already get enough letters from people asking Corzine to help stop their neighbors from controlling their brains using radio waves :whistling:

Don't send them to Corzine.. It's my job to open them haha (it's true) and I already get enough letters from people asking Corzine to help stop their neighbors from controlling their brains using radio waves :whistling:

Hey can I just send a copy of "Sleeping with the enemy" signed by Karla Katz :lol:

In all sincerity the guys at NJ association of Rail Passengers http://www.nj-arp.org/ work with people to submit ideas/suggestions to NJ transit and they do get heard. One of the ones floated got picked up by a North Ward Politico and is moving along (reactivating an old freight line that heads towards Kearny for Light Rail use).

I've gotta believe that it they're running it for the Nets games that they'd run it for Devils games.

The website is updated and now it looks like the trolley will be running for all Devils home games, from 5:00 p.m. till midnight for 7 o'clock games, including Opening Night.

The website is updated and now it looks like the trolley will be running for all Devils home games, from 5:00 p.m. till midnight for 7 o'clock games, including Opening Night.

Sick! Thanks, Dano.

Hey can I just send a copy of "Sleeping with the enemy" signed by Karla Katz :lol:

In all sincerity the guys at NJ association of Rail Passengers http://www.nj-arp.org/ work with people to submit ideas/suggestions to NJ transit and they do get heard. One of the ones floated got picked up by a North Ward Politico and is moving along (reactivating an old freight line that heads towards Kearny for Light Rail use).

Yup I'm one of the people who reads it and sends it to NJ Transit Dept.

Did anyone else see Conan spending 10 mins on his show to rip apart Newark? I think he's trying to develop a back-and-forth feud between himself and Newark. He hit hard.

As for the convention center talk - that is not something Newark needs right now. It would cost too much money, take away events from the PruCenter AND NJPAC, and take up way too much space. The city cant even afford to keep extra cops around the Pru (hence the ticket tax), why on earth would they spend money on the idea of a convention center (something which is not the useful building it used to be a decade ago).

Hey guys, I was at the NRBP's advantage Newark forum today and they were talking abou the 2 center street project to go across from the NJPAC and Shaq's project. What was cool was they had three business that had relocated to Newark and they talked about the momentum of having coinciding projects and fighting junk like Conan's junk about the citys reputation. The mayor took a shot back at him on a webcast that is on NJ.com.

Netoberfest (Nets) is going to be at The Rock on Mulberry Street on Wednesday October 7th. Why would they have another event at The Rock when they are already being "forced" to have the preseason there and want nothing to do with Newark? When there's smoke... :whistling:NETS: Netstoberfest - 2009 Also remember that tickets start at $10 for the preseason games against the Celtics and Knicks and if you enter the code "TEAM5" after selecting the game you want on this link you can buy $20 lower level seats for the games.

Move to Newark, Nets!

nets_fest_landing.jpg

I didn't see Conan's bit, but here's Booker's response.

Now Booker's going on the Tonight Show to respond. NJ.com Conan said "The Mayor of Newark, New Jersey wants to set up a citywide program to improve residents' health. The health-care program would consist of a bus ticket out of Newark." and Booker banned him from Newark Airport.

• 2 weeks later...

Newark Named International downtown of the month...

http://glocallynewark.com/2009/10/ironbound-district-named-%E2%80%9Cdowntown-of-the-month/

also more hype in regards to Nettoberfest:

http://glocallynewark.com/2009/10/friday-afternoon-with-nj-nets-the-mayor-and-a-slice-of-pizza/comment-page-1/#comment-2372

I'm rather torn on the second one but I will go with the any news is good news category.

Hey guys, remember when we had the idea to make an NJDevs bar, complete with water slides and peanut-butter covered stripper poles? I just rendered up my idea of what it would look like, check it out!

http://njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34472&st=40&gopid=808233entry808233

Very well played, Marty. Haha. That was good. Thank you for making our fantasy bar. I love the menu.

Remember everyone that tomorrow is the first Nets Preseason game at The Rock against the Celtics at 7. Let's pack the house and show that the Nets belong in Newark. Tickets start at only $10. See ya there!

i do not at all want nets coming to our prudential areana at all even if might benitfit in money

That makes no sense.. The Devils would benefit from it and so would the city of Newark.. I love having an arena with all Devils stuff in it but the fact of the matter is the Devils haven't paid their taxes and are in need of the money.. It's selfish to think that we deserve a place solely for ourselves and no other professional team can play there, especially when it would benefit the team we love

That makes no sense.. The Devils would benefit from it and so would the city of Newark.. I love having an arena with all Devils stuff in it but the fact of the matter is the Devils haven't paid their taxes and are in need of the money.. It's selfish to think that we deserve a place solely for ourselves and no other professional team can play there, especially when it would benefit the team we love

Easy, you might bite completely thru the hook!