The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

http://www.hockey30.com/nouvelles/brian-gionta-sest-senti-insulte-par-la-derniere-offre-du-ch-devils-sabres-p/

so this based in quebec is stating that Gionta felt insulted by Bergevin's offer (1 year) i guess he really lowballed him (at least in his mind) and that he'll likely go somewhere else.

Also says that his agent had discussion with NJ, Buffalo and Florida. But that the $ is the #1 thing for his next contract.

I dont even see the need for Gionta other than Lou wanting to get yet another ex devils and get the brothers together.

We have Jagr who's our top RW so far. Brunner and Ryder are there too... so throw Gionta on top of that? none of them are really 4th line kind of guys and they would all be pretty interchangeable.

Henrique - Zajac - Jagr

Clowe - Elias - Brunner

Ruutu - Zubrus - Ryder

Carter - Josefson - Sislo

i wan't Carter absolutely back in the lineup but here's what he have even without both Giontas... other than Sislo? who can we even bump out? plus that's really not a great lineup.

Five years was dumb but I'm sure others were offering at least 3-4. Clowe also has a specific skillset we needed, and gets ridiculously overpaid in FA because there aren't many physical players who score goals (see: Clarkson, David).

Well Clowe isn't among them himself in that group.

"@ChrisBottaNHL: New Jersey Devils will be busy this week. Second-year owners don't want to miss the playoffs again."

^^Nothing we didn't know, but good to hear right after the Volchenkov buyout, for anyone who felt Harris was keen on tanking for some picks (for whatever reason). Curious if Botta got this from the horse's mouth.

http://www.hockey30.com/nouvelles/brian-gionta-sest-senti-insulte-par-la-derniere-offre-du-ch-devils-sabres-p/

so this based in quebec is stating that Gionta felt insulted by Bergevin's offer (1 year) i guess he really lowballed him (at least in his mind) and that he'll likely go somewhere else.

Also says that his agent had discussion with NJ, Buffalo and Florida. But that the $ is the #1 thing for his next contract.

And we just bought out Volch...hmmmm.....

Clowe is not an enforcer. Not anymore. He can play that game, but his game is going to change to just being able to clear room for other players and being able to pass well.  He looked good when he wasn't hurt and pretty much what you can expect from him when he's not playing with Joe Thornton or Pavelski.  Still not the best contract, but he was a guy like Clarkson, but better than Clarkson, who we paid less for than Clarkson.  So I don't know, but I still think Clowe passes for a good hockey player.

the biggest issue with him which is a major concern is his health.. he can contribute to the team I believe but hes just damaged goods at this point theres no way he is able to stay healthy for lonh periods of time

"@ChrisBottaNHL: New Jersey Devils will be busy this week. Second-year owners don't want to miss the playoffs again."

^^Nothing we didn't know, but good to hear right after the Volchenkov buyout, for anyone who felt Harris was keen on tanking for some picks (for whatever reason). Curious if Botta got this from the horse's mouth.

yeah for sure the owners had to put money in this year if they wanted to get the team back on track. I dont see how they could have brough back the team really competitive while dealing with an internal cap

statments like this make me all giddy.  now, odds are it may be smoke and i don't want to get my hopes up...

but perfectly possible that we get a very exciting week

so now after the Volch buyout, how much money do we have to spend this offseason? 

Capgeek shows the Devils cap space at $13,964,166 so im guessing thats the number, with just the CBGB line needing resigned. say they make exactly what they did last year, the three of them would cost us $1,935,000

that leaves us with $12,029,166 to spend.. that actually puts us in pretty good shape.

statments like this make me all giddy.  now, odds are it may be smoke and i don't want to get my hopes up...

but perfectly possible that we get a very exciting week

Agree, but I find Botta doesn't really throw out opinionated garbage when he tweets (unlike Larry Brooks; completely different writers altogether). It'll usually be related to a story he's currently working on. Maybe he's putting up a story with a few soundbytes from Harris (not Lou of course) that hint that we'll be spending money this week; who knows, we'll see :)

so now after the Volch buyout, how much money do we have to spend this offseason? 

Capgeek shows the Devils cap space at $13,964,166 so im guessing thats the number, with just the CBGB line needing resigned. say they make exactly what they did last year, the three of them would cost us $1,935,000

that leaves us with $12,029,166 to spend.. that actually puts us in pretty good shape.

Not sure if we should resign the whole GBGB line... Carter for SURE, Gionta its a no brainer knowing how Deboer is horny on the guy. I dont mind Bernier but I dont see where's the room... like i posted earlier...

Henrique - Zajac - Jagr

Clowe - Elias - Brunner

Ruutu - Zubrus - Ryder

Carter - Josefson - S.Gionta

Even lets say we sign a UFA like Statsny. It bumps down everyone and we'll have a "too good" player sitting possibly. Well i guess it's gonna be Josefson again getting the bench treatment

I think that Carter is due a raise to 900k 1M range...

geeez i use to see Parenteau downtown at the bar all the time and NO ONE would know who he was. never saw a single person going to him knowing he was an NHL player. Was just sitting there by himself texting all the time.... its about to change now that he'll be in Habs territory

Good lord, can we have any semblance of organization to any threads on this forum?  This thread is supposed to be about the Devils' offseason.  

That said, NJ is one of the few teams for whom information about their RFA tenders has yet to leak.

Devils defense at the moment:

Greene-Merrill

Gelinas-Larsson

Salvador-Zidlicky

Harrold

I think this is how it is going into the season. I would be terribly disappointed if Lou brings in another defenseman over the summer on anything other than a PTO. it's going to be some serious sink or swim time with the kids. and albany's d will certainly get their chance when injuries happen.

Devils defense at the moment:

Greene-Merrill

Gelinas-Larsson

Salvador-Zidlicky

Harrold

I think this is how it is going into the season. I would be terribly disappointed if Lou brings in another defenseman over the summer on anything other than a PTO. it's going to be some serious sink or swim time with the kids. and albany's d will certainly get their chance when injuries happen.

It's a beautiful lineup, can't wait to see these kids play.

Greene- Fayne

Merrill Zidlicky

Gelinas-Larsson

Salvador

Only if Faynes $ and term are reasonable. If we lose him I wouldn't mind Stralman, but I think he is trying to cash in. However staying in the metro area might be important enough for him to take a little less. All in all I think they need to find a solid RH D man. Wonder what Corey Murphy is up to?

Greene- Fayne

Merrill Zidlicky

Gelinas-Larsson

Salvador

Only if Faynes $ and term are reasonable. If we lose him I wouldn't mind Stralman, but I think he is trying to cash in. However staying in the metro area might be important enough for him to take a little less. All in all I think they need to find a solid RH D man. Wonder what Corey Murphy is up to?

This would be perfect for me, re-sign Fayne and keep sal in a minimal role OR not sign anyone and give a chance to the kids once in awhile