NFL Week 8!!

CRASHER

Detroit earned that. Johnson's the best we for a reason.327 years. Second team to come back and win on-4 turnovers..

So I'll ask it here too....it's 3rd and whatever, Dallas runs the ball, but there's a holding penalty.....Detroit DECLINES the penalty and it makes it 4th and 5..... WHY in God's name does the play clock NOT RUN there?? How the hell does Dallas not get to run 40 seconds off the clock at that point making the game and the comeback not happen.....how does the league screw up that big?? (I'd ask how does Garrett not catch this but I know that answer......)

Detroit earned that. Johnson's the best we for a reason.327 years. Second team to come back and win on-4 turnovers..

thanks for TOTALLY not answering my question and stating the obvious :P

I'm shocked anyone actually USED Marvin Jones in fantasy unless it was a super-deep league.  

Yep, it's a 14-team TD only league. Probably the only one that actually exists in the world. :P

The dude also has Calvin Johnson (again, TD only, so his nutso yards didn't kill me, but I have Stafford as one of my QB's), Jimmy Graham, and Terrance Williams. The most frustrating part is he just dropped Reggie Wayne and Keenan Allen this week to pick up Williams and Jones. Rotten luck for me this week. 

Edited by nmigliore

So I'll ask it here too....it's 3rd and whatever, Dallas runs the ball, but there's a holding penalty.....Detroit DECLINES the penalty and it makes it 4th and 5..... WHY in God's name does the play clock NOT RUN there?? How the hell does Dallas not get to run 40 seconds off the clock at that point making the game and the comeback not happen.....how does the league screw up that big?? (I'd ask how does Garrett not catch this but I know that answer......)

Why should at team get rewarded for committing a penalty?

The Bengals are good, but the Jets are making them look like the greatest team in NFL history here. One thing is for sure, their defense is big, physical, and legit (unlike our Jekyll and Hyde D)

Idzik needs to trade for a corner right away. Dee Milliner is not an NFL player. Maybe one day he will be, but he's not now.

Why should at team get rewarded for committing a penalty?

they shouldn't....why should a team get a free time out for declining a penalty?

This....just ....happened

If the penalty is declined, the play should go on as normal....run the damn clock!

The Patriots are done.

Brady is trying to play through 2 broken fingers on his throwing hand suffered in the Jets game and is a total shell of hiimself, the Patriots offensive-line has been a complete sieve at LT, C, and RG; now Volmer was carted off with an air cast on his leg after getting rolled up from behind.  There's zero deep threat allowing defenses to man-up the receivers at the line.  The defense isn't terrible but now only has Chandler Jones and Ninkovitch as warm bodies.

A total turd-sandwich of a season.

A lot of Patriot fans at the game yesterday were feeling the same.  They did look like a dead team walking.  But they did a good job and got some breaks when they had to in the second half.  Even if they had lost though, a "total turd-sandwich of a season" is a bit much...they'd still be in first place. 

re:  the Jets...at 4-4, they're still well ahead of where many predicted them to be, but although I respect what they've done overall, I can't really worry about them that much.  It's great for them that they beat NE, but you can't go out and then get steamrolled the following week.  Although the Jets have 4 wins, they've won them by a combined 13 points (the losses have come by 81 combined points).  I still they think they find a way to piece together a 7-9 or 8-8 year, but if they don't, does Rex (probably unfairly) get shown the door? 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I still feel the same about New England as I did prior to the season: good enough to win a bad division, but would be uneasy about that team come playoff time. Week 12 vs Denver will be an interesting test case. 

Agreed on the Jets, CR. I know yesterday's game skews some of the numbers quite a bit, but the Jets rank near the bottom of the league in point differential and turnover margin. They could easily be worse than 4-4 right now. 

What an awful stretch for Miami. 

Detroit has to be feeling pretty good about themselves; 5-3, their remaining schedule doesn't seem too difficult, Chicago is hurting, Carolina has a tough schedule. Crasher was talking up Carolina as the 2nd NFC WC, and while they look like a good team, I think I'd put my money on Detroit right now just based on difference in schedules and the 0.5 game lead. 

Edited by nmigliore

Detroit has to be feeling pretty good about themselves; 5-3, their remaining schedule doesn't seem too difficult, Chicago is hurting, Carolina has a tough schedule. Crasher was talking up Carolina as the 2nd NFC WC, and while they look like a good team, I think I'd put my money on Detroit right now just based on difference in schedules and the 0.5 game lead. 

Its a three team race for 2 Wild Card spots in the NFC, with the Niners seeming like a safe bet...let's take a look at the schedules:

Lions:

Week 9 BYE         Nov 10 @Chicago 1:00 pm       Nov 17 @Pittsburgh 1:00 pm       Nov 24 Tampa Bay 1:00 pm       Nov 28 Green Bay 12:30 pm       Dec 8 @Philadelphia 1:00 pm       Dec 16 Baltimore 8:40 pm       Dec 22 N.Y. Giants 4:05 pm       Dec 29 @Minnesota 1:00 pm

Panthers:

Nov 3 Atlanta 1:00 pm       Nov 10 @San Francisco 4:05 pm       Nov 18 New England 8:40 pm       Nov 24 @Miami 1:00 pm       Dec 1 Tampa Bay 1:00 pm       Dec 8 @New Orleans 1:00 pm       Dec 15 N.Y. Jets 4:05 pm       Dec 22 New Orleans 1:00 pm       Dec 29 @Atlanta 1:00 pm

San Fran:

Week 9 BYE         Nov 10 Carolina 4:05 pm       Nov 17 @New Orleans 4:25 pm       Nov 25 @Washington 8:40 pm       Dec 1 St. Louis 4:05 pm       Dec 8 Seattle 4:25 pm       Dec 15 @Tampa Bay 1:00 pm       Dec 23 Atlanta 8:40 pm       Dec 29 @Arizona 4:25 pm

Carolina does have a worse record and a tougher schedule coming up, but they DO get San Fran head to head and the NIners should lose to New Orleans and probably Seattle too, the Lion schedule is no cake walk either, and of these three teams the Lions are the worst on defense and maybe the more flawed of the teams (it's the Calvin and Bush show on offense and not much else)....I kinda wish Det and Carolina played this year....

Edited by CRASHER

I still feel the same about New England as I did prior to the season: good enough to win a bad division, but would be uneasy about that team come playoff time. Week 12 vs Denver will be an interesting test case. 

Agreed on the Jets, CR. I know yesterday's game skews some of the numbers quite a bit, but the Jets rank near the bottom of the league in point differential and turnover margin. They could easily be worse than 4-4 right now. 

What an awful stretch for Miami. 

Yeah, what you've said about NE is pretty much spot-on.  They'll win the division with 10-11 wins (I think they get 10)...if they beat the Steelers this Sunday, they'll be in good shape, as far as winning the AFC East goes.  But they have little chance of getting to the Super Bowl, unless a LOT of things go their way (like someone knocking off Denver before they would face them).  They have to find a way to get one of the top #2 seeds (they're still in play for that, for what it's worth, through Week 8...Denver and KC still have to play each other twice, not sure if I think the Bengals and Colts are going to keep up what they're doing).  Not saying that I think the Pats WILL finish as a #1 or #2 seed...I'll be very surprised if they do...no matter how optimistic I try to be, I can't see them going better than 4-4 over their last eight games.  But if they don't finish #1 or #2, they're probably toast, either in the WC round or the following round. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's great to get a bye but I think the true playoff seed to avoid at all costs in the AFC is the #4, as that's going to be a date with Kansas City or Denver, depending on who loses out on the division -- good luck with that. The #3 seed is looking at a matchup with a team like San Diego, the Jets, Ravens, Dolphins, etc. HUGE gap there.

Edited by nmigliore

Have been flipping back between Rams/Seahawks and the World Series game... pretty sluggish/penalty-ridden game but Robert Quinn and Chris Long are freakin' tanks. St. Louis overall D has been shockingly outstanding outside of that one huge play to Tate.

Edited by nmigliore

Re: NFC wild card, I actually like Detroit to win one more likely than SF or CAR, based on their cake schedule.  6 of 8 teams under .500, and they get Baltimore @home, where they can out-trackmeet them.  They could conceivably end the season with 12 wins, whereas Carolina has yet to play New Orleans either time and has to go into San Fran.  That November 10th game is going to be huge...the winner controls their own destiny in the Wild Card. 

Also of note...since Green Bay is only a half-game clear of Detroit, let's look at their schedule:

Nov 04 - CHI
Nov 10 - PHI
Nov 17 - @NYG
Nov 24 - MIN
Nov 28 - @DET
Dec 08 - ATL
Dec 15 - @DAL
Dec 22 - PIT
Dec 29 - @CHI

I love the idea that we have the potential of a meaningful 12:30 Thanksgiving game on the 28th if each team stays healthy and does their jobs. 

But either way, barring QB injury, I have a hard time seeing either Detroit or Green Bay missing the playoffs with their remaining schedules.

That leaves San Fran and Carolina dogfighting, which makes every game huge for Carolina.

Good God Green Bay has an easy schedule, they should win 6 of those without really trying (which is amazing considering their WR scenario and no Clay Matthews)

Detroit seems an awful brittle team on depth, if they lose Calvin, Rush or Stafford they're boned....and I still don't trust Schwartz in the big spot.....