‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

I kind of feel like the only hope the Devils have at this point is if it's a lifestyle choice. The Devils have arguably one of the most attractive travel schedules of any NHL team, and his soon to be wife is from NJ (at least that's what everyone always says). Maybe those two factors weigh more heavily than anyone thinks? Not likely when we're talking about the sums of money that are being thrown his way...but you never know what's going on in a person's head.

His soon to be wife is from NJ?

That's news to me.

I kind of feel like the only hope the Devils have at this point is if it's a lifestyle choice. The Devils have arguably one of the most attractive travel schedules of any NHL team, and his soon to be wife is from NJ (at least that's what everyone always says). Maybe those two factors weigh more heavily than anyone thinks? Not likely when we're talking about the sums of money that are being thrown his way...but you never know what's going on in a person's head.

FWIW, a lot of people also say, even on this board, that she is a teacher. Every source I read says she is a nutritionist. Also from what I read she is not in fact from NJ and that they met in college.

Zach, 27, who played at Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault and has purchased a home on Lake Minnetonka, can become an unrestricted free agent at season's end. He and University of North Dakota college sweetheart Alisha Woods will be married this summer.

FWIW, a lot of people also say, even on this board, that she is a teacher. Every source I read says she is a nutritionist. Also from what I read she is not in fact from NJ and that they met in college.

Yea, I'm just going off this board's hearsay. If you're correct, then we're screwed.

Zach, 27, who played at Shattuck-St. Mary's in Faribault and has purchased a home on Lake Minnetonka, can become an unrestricted free agent at season's end. He and University of North Dakota college sweetheart Alisha Woods will be married this summer.

This is correct. A lot of posters here make a lot of assumptions or get bad rumors.

Yea, I'm just going off this board's hearsay. If you're correct, then we're screwed.

As Mikepeluso just posted, we're screwed.

EVERYONE WANTS $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ME YOU MARTY ZACH EVERYONE

This is very true. There is no player in the league that I enjoy watching more than Zach, and I will be truly sad if he signs anywhere else. But still, I don’t really see how anybody leaves something like $20 mil laying on the table. If it was a couple million over the life of the contract then I think other considerations would be a bigger factor, but if the numbers we’re hearing are real, then I expect him to go and I can’t truly blame him. Twenty million is a sh!tload of money, even if you already have sh!tload of money to start with.

That said, if these numbers are the market price for him then I’m fine with letting him walk. Although I love having Kovy on the team, I think his deal is ridiculous, and we don’t need a second ridiculous deal to go with it. I love what Zach brings to this team, but it’s not worth the numbers we’ve seen tossed around.

On the other hand, if he does turn down all that money to stay here, then in my mind he will be the greatest Devil ever.

This is very true. There is no player in the league that I enjoy watching more than Zach, and I will be truly sad if he signs anywhere else. But still, I don’t really see how anybody leaves something like $20 mil laying on the table. If it was a couple million over the life of the contract then I think other considerations would be a bigger factor, but if the numbers we’re hearing are real, then I expect him to go and I can’t truly blame him. Twenty million is a sh!tload of money, even if you already have sh!tload of money to start with.

That said, if these numbers are the market price for him then I’m fine with letting him walk. Although I love having Kovy on the team, I think his deal is ridiculous, and we don’t need a second ridiculous deal to go with it. I love what Zach brings to this team, but it’s not worth the numbers we’ve seen tossed around.

On the other hand, if he does turn down all that money to stay here, then in my mind he will be the greatest Devil ever.

Exactly. Turning down $20 million dollars??? What are you nuts?

That is insane.

He and his entire family will be set for the rest of their lives.

There is no I in TEAM, but there are a sh!t load of zeroes that Zach just isn't going to turn down....and neither would any of us here. We just like to think we would because we bleed Black and Red, but this is Zach's JOB, Zach's WELLBEING, Zach's CAREER...if anyone offered you $20 million dollars today to leave your current job and do the same thing for another company, you would be RUNNING OUT THE DOOR...SPRINTING.

This is over.

Zach probably has to leave a little money on the table, not necessarily "a lot". You can't compare a 13/100m+ offer to the supposed 7/50 we put out there last year and go "yea no way Zach is going to give up 50m to stay with us". If Lou offered something more practical like 8/64 then Zach could take that, sign a 4-5 year contract when he is around 35ish and still make another 20-25m that brings him pretty close to what the other offers are totaling now. Obviously the difference is guaranteed money and the other is not, but Zach could still make bank and stay with the Devils, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Money does not a great player make. Greatest Devil ever?

At the end of the day, Zach will make what is the best decision for him. Lou will make his best offer which is in the best interest of the NJ Devils. Grossly overpaying for someone has biten Lou in the past and that was for marginal players, not the captain. I want Zach back but not at some of the numbers that have been thrown around. Sorry, he simply just isn't worth that. It will suck if he leaves for one of those monster contracts that overpays him, but the devils should be in the playoffs without him next year and I'll root for whoever wears the sweater.

Edited by devilsadvoc8

...if anyone offered you $20 million dollars today to leave your current job and do the same thing for another company, you would be RUNNING OUT THE DOOR...SPRINTING.

This is over.

A 20m raise for probably anyone reading this board is probably around a 400 fold increase. So yea, if someone offered Zach 2.4billion dollars to play for their team I don't think any of us would be second guessing him. In reality, Zach will make 10-15% more to go play for someone else over the course of his career. I wouldn't give up my job, with my family, with my location for just a 15% raise in a brand new area. That's just me though, some would but it's not as black and white as you are making it out to be.

A 20m raise for probably anyone reading this board is probably around a 400 fold increase. So yea, if someone offered Zach 2.4billion dollars to play for their team I don't think any of us would be second guessing him. In reality, Zach will make 10-15% more to go play for someone else over the course of his career. I wouldn't give up my job, with my family, with my location for just a 15% raise in a brand new area. That's just me though, some would but it's not as black and white as you are making it out to be.

FINE. You wanna play like that...

15% increase?!?!?

I will take it tomorrow.

Where do I sign?

FINE. You wanna play like that...

15% increase?!?!?

I will take it tomorrow.

Where do I sign?

some would but it's not as black and white as you are making it out to be.

Did you miss my point? I'm glad you would leave everything behind for 15%, but why pretend like its a forgone conclusion for someone else? The truth is, we don't know... yet.

Did you miss my point? I'm glad you would leave everything behind for 15%, but why pretend like its a forgone conclusion for someone else? The truth is, we don't know... yet.

I know this was not directed specifically at my previous post, but just for the record, I never said it was a foregone conclusion. Anyone may or may not take any given deal. All I said was that $20 million is a lot of money. Even if you HAVE a lot of money, twenty million is still a lot, and walking away from it would not be easy for anyone.

I know this was not directed specifically at my previous post, but just for the record, I never said it was a foregone conclusion. Anyone may or may not take any given deal. All I said was that $20 million is a lot of money. Even if you HAVE a lot of money, twenty million is still a lot, and walking away from it would not be easy for anyone.

Right but part of my original argument that MP glossed over was that Zach isn't necessarily even leaving 20m on the table. TFP.com is saying the Penguins are the current front runners offering 10y/80m for example. If the Devils offered 8y/64m and then Zach re-signs those last 2 years for 4-5m, he is now passing up on 6-8m. Still a lot of money, but not quite as staggering as unfair contract comparisons that only focus on the total amount and don't consider that Parise will still have some years at the end to make up the difference.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.