D. Zajac, Sestito signed by NJ to NHL deals

Triumph

Minor news, in both senses of the word...

Zajac gets a 2 year deal, two-way, right above league minimum in the NHL, less than $100k in the AHL.

Sestito also gets a 2 year deal.  125k in the AHL each season - now that re-entry waivers are gone, we'll see more players earning more than $105k as AHLers on two-way contracts.

I'm conflicted - on the one hand, good for Darcy, he's worked really hard, on the other, you're only allowed 50 NHL contracts, why give one to a guy who's at best a 3rd line AHLer.  And of course, Tim Sestito could be the worst non-facepuncher to play 50 or more NHL games for a non-expansion team, he is just not an NHLer.

Albany now shaping up a bit more:

Pesonen-?-Boucher

Matteau-Sestito-Whitney

Wohlberg-D. Zajac-Sislo

Hoeffel-?-?

Something like this.  Other possibles include Myles Bell, Graham Black, and Ben Thomson.  Still, NJ has 45 contracts now, so they can't give out many more.

Edited by Triumph

Was kind of hoping this would be the year they'd free themselves of Sestito. Happy for Darcy Zajac though.

I see they have 38 contracts signed with 7 RFA's. Henrique, Josefson, and Kinkaid are absolute givens to be back so that's 41. Pesonen potentially going back to Finland opens a spot. Maybe they don't retain Dan Kelly due to the defensive depth they have now so that would be another spot. I'd expect Hoeffel to be back given he's an ex 2nd rounder. Sislo will turn 26 in January but he seems like a nice depth player to have around. All in all, I suppose they could open 2 spots if they don't retain Pesonen or Kelly, so that would be 43 contracts.

I expect Bell to be in Albany since he has nothing left to prove in the WHL. I think Black could make the jump but could see them bring him along slowly due to his medical condition and keeping him in Swift Current. Thomson doesn't have much upside so keeping him in Kitchener if they need to shouldn't be a big deal.

Sorry if this post is a bit over the place. It's 3:30 and I can't sleep.