Langenbrunner to Dallas. 3rd round conditional pick coming back

DevsFan7545

From TG:

The Devils get a second-round pick if the Stars win a first-round playoff series or if they re-sign Langenbrunner, a potential UFA, before July 1. If the Stars don’t win a playoff round and re-sign Langenbrunner after July 1, the Devils still get the Stars 2011 third-round pick and will also get the Stars’ 2012 second-round pick and send their 2012 third-rounder to Dallas

How the hell did they come up with that deal it must have got confusing!!

So stars Win in the Playoffs/Resign pre july 1st Langs:

Devils Recieve: Stars 2nd Round pick 2011

Stars dont win playoff round or resign Langs before 1st July:

Devils Get:Dallas 3rd 2011 AND 2nd 2012

Dallas gets: Devils 3rd 2012

Change of Plan Dallas to fail.

Or have i got this all wrong??

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I can't believe people are bitching about the return for Langs, What did anyone honestly expect? He's not a top 6 forward and he has one year left on his contract. If we were the ones trading for him do you think we'd give up more than a third? Well we potentially got a 2nd round pick, so shaddup everyone.

If you can't get anything of significance for a player that isn't a salary albatross for the next year or two (e.g. Roston, Zubrus) than there's no point in making a trade right now, unless the goal is to save money.

EDIT: If the conditions are met whereby we get a second rounder, then the deal is palatable.

Edited by Daniel

Correct, but you were still paying him real American dollars. This was simply a cost cutting move, as much as it was moving an aging vet that feuded with the coach, earlier the better as far as Vanderbeek was concerned. JVB has spent WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than what was budgeted for this team for 2010-11. Why do you think Lemaire is back coaching? Free is free.

That's true, I was just making the point that this trade has nothing to do with re-signing Parise.

From TG:

Devils Recieve: Stars 2nd Round pick

Devils Get:Dallas 3rd AND 2nd

Dallas gets: Devils 3rd

i think thats what it means, so i'm all for this trade now. one way or another they're getting a 2nd, the question is are we going to end up essentially swapping 3rds

I'll give you Zajac and Parise, Tri. The rest "remains to be seen." Convenient how you left out Lou and Conte's incredible post Elias run.

Henrique, Urbom -- great. Wake me up when they're actually on the team doing something.

From TG:

Thats not bad afterall

I think this is ok value for Langenbrunner. Given our cap situation and how bad Langenbrunner sucks, this is an excellent trade. More then likely we get a 3rd round pick this year and then swap a 3rd rounder for a 2nd rounder in a strong draft.

Dallas will no doubt have a wink wink agreement to sign Langenbrunner minutes after July 1st to gain a 3rd rounder. That is, if they were to sign prior to going FA.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I think this is ok value for Langenbrunner. Given our cap situation and how bad Langenbrunner sucks, this is an excellent trade. More then likely we get a 3rd round pick this year and then swap a 3rd rounder for a 2nd rounder in a strong draft.

i also think dallas kinda sucks, so that 2012 2nd could be pretty high if that is how it goes down.

From TG:

Dallas wins a round in playoffs or resigns him before july 1: Devils get 2nd

Dallas doesn't win playoffs and resigns him after July 1: Devils get 2nd and 3rd and give up 3rd

Dallas doesn't win playoffs and doesn't resign him ever: Devils get 3rd

Yeah i fell the same.

Plus if the team picks up next year, makes the playoffs and recieves a late 1st rounder, and we do have two second round picks next year, it makes the situation slightly more flexible for giving up our first rounder.

Although with the strong draft it might not be a great year to chuck that 1st rounder.

I'll give you Zajac and Parise, Tri. The rest "remains to be seen." Convenient how you left out Lou and Conte's incredible post Elias run.

Henrique, Urbom -- great. Wake me up when they're actually on the team doing something.

Gomez, Gionta, Rupp, White, Souray, Van Ryan, Sykora, Mason, McCauley, Mitchell, Parker, Clemmensen, Commodore, Engelland, Martin, Hale, Voros, Janssen, Parise, Zajac, Fayne/Fraser, Zharkov, Corrente, Palmieri, Tedenby, Josefson, Cormier,

I wonder, if Dallas makes it past first round and signs him before july 1st....does that mean we get two seconds instead of a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year?

Glad that he's out of the Eastern Conference.

Why, are you scared of the Langenbrunner slap shot? He would no doubt give us a PP a game for tripping...maybe even an extra 2 for unsportsmanlike.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

i also think dallas kinda sucks, so that 2012 2nd could be pretty high if that is how it goes down.

IF Dallas kinda sucks, then Nashville, Colorado, St. Louis, Phoenix, Anaheim, Minnesota, Los Angeles, Chicago, Columbus, Calgary and Edmonton must suck more.

Doubtful, if they tank. The addition of Langs probably locks up the Pacific Conference for them IMO.

I wonder, if Dallas makes it past first round and signs him before july 1st....does that mean we get two seconds instead of a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year?

i don't believe so. i think if they win the round, the devils get a 2nd and the trade is fulfilled. if they do not, then the thing about him re-signing kicks in.