Official 2012 New York Yankees Thread

nyrsuck26

"this is what happens when you give up on Jesus"

First of all, this is hilarious.

Now, I just heard the news, and this is a real bummer. There were some really high hopes for him, and as was already mentioned, it's the type of injury that can permanently affect a career. I still think the trade was a decent one, taking into account obviously that there was no way Cashman could have known that this would happen. I liked Montero as a hitter, I didn't see him ever becoming a truly outstanding hitter, which IMO you need to be if you're going to be a DH as your primary position. So, I don't think Cashman really wrongly pulled the trigger, and who knows maybe Piñeda comes back next year and still works out.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, this is hilarious.

Now, I just heard the news, and this is a real bummer. There were some really high hopes for him, and as was already mentioned, it's the type of injury that can permanently affect a career. I still think the trade was a decent one, taking into account obviously that there was no way Cashman could have known that this would happen. I liked Montero as a hitter, I didn't see him ever becoming a truly outstanding hitter, which IMO you need to be if you're going to be a DH as your primary position. So, I don't think Cashman really wrongly pulled the trigger, and who knows maybe Piñeda comes back next year and still works out.

I see Montero being as good a hitter as Miguel Cabrera. Miguel Cabrera thinks so too.

I see Montero being as good a hitter as Miguel Cabrera. Miguel Cabrera thinks so too.

Montero will probably be an even worse fielder than Cabrera too.

Finding a quality hitter is a lot easier than finding a quality starter. The Yankees still have one of the best offenses in baseball without Montero. They are currently tied for 1st with Texas with a 126 wRC+ and this is without production from the middle of the order. Last year they were tied for 2nd with Texas with a 113 wRC+. It would be nice to add Montero to that line up but its not the end of the world.

The minor league system boast a lot of quality offensive prospects but has a serious lack of high end pitching prospects, especially in the upper levels. Betances could end up in the AAA bullpen sooner than later and has health concerns. Banuelos has an alarmingly walk rate that has gone up as he has advanced, as well as an injury problem right now. Campos who they got in the Montero deal is the only other potential high end starter in the system.

The trade looks bad now but if we wait 5 years we'll have a much better idea.

Sidenote: Its a shame Gerrit Cole fvcked the Yankees over a few years ago. I hope he flops.

Montero will probably be an even worse fielder than Cabrera too.

Finding a quality hitter is a lot easier than finding a quality starter. The Yankees still have one of the best offenses in baseball without Montero. They are currently tied for 1st with Texas with a 126 wRC+ and this is without production from the middle of the order. Last year they were tied for 2nd with Texas with a 113 wRC+. It would be nice to add Montero to that line up but its not the end of the world.

The minor league system boast a lot of quality offensive prospects but has a serious lack of high end pitching prospects, especially in the upper levels. Betances could end up in the AAA bullpen sooner than later and has health concerns. Banuelos has an alarmingly walk rate that has gone up as he has advanced, as well as an injury problem right now. Campos who they got in the Montero deal is the only other potential high end starter in the system.

The trade looks bad now but if we wait 5 years we'll have a much better idea.

Sidenote: Its a shame Gerrit Cole fvcked the Yankees over a few years ago. I hope he flops.

As I've always said, I had no problem in principle with trading Montero. For as good as I think he's going to be, he was not an untouchable prospect like Bryce Harper or Strasberg. I just always hated the return. You parlay your prospects for proven entities, which Pineda never was in my opinion. If anything, even the short amount of time that Montero played, he was just as proven as Pineda was to that point.

While I don't know offhand who might be available at the trade deadline, I would have held my chips and seen if someone like Felix Hernandez became available. In the meantime, you could have slotted Montero at DH, and have him start some games at catcher against weaker opponents or every so often when Arod is the DH for the night.

So far as fielding, seriously, would you not trade even a great fielding/hitting first baseman like Texeira for a near generational hitter like Cabrera? And I don't think Cabrera is as bad a fielding first baseman as you're making him out to be. He isn't great, but he's not a liability of the Giambi mold.

As I've always said, I had no problem in principle with trading Montero. For as good as I think he's going to be, he was not an untouchable prospect like Bryce Harper or Strasberg. I just always hated the return. You parlay your prospects for proven entities, which Pineda never was in my opinion. If anything, even the short amount of time that Montero played, he was just as proven as Pineda was to that point.

While I don't know offhand who might be available at the trade deadline, I would have held my chips and seen if someone like Felix Hernandez became available. In the meantime, you could have slotted Montero at DH, and have him start some games at catcher against weaker opponents or every so often when Arod is the DH for the night.

So far as fielding, seriously, would you not trade even a great fielding/hitting first baseman like Texeira for a near generational hitter like Cabrera? And I don't think Cabrera is as bad a fielding first baseman as you're making him out to be. He isn't great, but he's not a liability of the Giambi mold.

I would've rather gotten a more proven pitcher back but I'll almost always defer to Cashman's judgement. If Pineda returns next year to form, they are getting a quality starter with 4 years left of team control.

Unfortunately, Seattle will not trade Felix any time soon. So far it looks like a weak market out there for starting pitching. A lot can change between now and the deadline though.

Of course I'd rather have a Cabrera over a Teixeira. I just bring up Montero's defense and attitude as a reason to why the Yankees were so willing to part with him. For as much prospect shine Montero had, it seems like the organization was never as high on him as the hype. He could end up being a Cabrera type bat, but he has a ways to go until he gets there - if he gets there. All the advanced metrics hate Cabrera wherever he plays in the field which is what I go on.

I can't express how happy I am Pettitte will be back soon - especially if he can get back to where he left off. I wish I could express the same optimism in Hughes, but I've nearly lost all hope in him turning it around. Hopefully he proves me wrong but I won't hold my breath.

I wonder if Hughes and Garcia both continue to struggle mightily, if the Yankees would consider throwing Phelps, Mitchell, or Warren in the rotation? Phelps has been getting hit, against good teams though, lately but he already has his feet wet. The AAA numbers this year suffer from really small sample size as well as the fact they've been playing all road games, most in freezing (by baseball standards) weather. Mitchell who seems the least touted out of the 3 is off to a decent start: 23 IP 8.22 K9 2.74 BB/9 1.17 HR/9 0.87 WHIP .182 BABIP 77.4 LOB% 3.13 ERA 4.11 FIP

One thing the Yankees do very well is hype their prospects. So you can never tell who they really like and who they don't.

This is incredibly true. You can tell that their strategy with regards to developing prospects is hyping them up as much as possible with the sole intention of trading them.

I wonder if Hughes and Garcia both continue to struggle mightily, if the Yankees would consider throwing Phelps, Mitchell, or Warren in the rotation? Phelps has been getting hit, against good teams though, lately but he already has his feet wet. The AAA numbers this year suffer from really small sample size as well as the fact they've been playing all road games, most in freezing (by baseball standards) weather. Mitchell who seems the least touted out of the 3 is off to a decent start: 23 IP 8.22 K9 2.74 BB/9 1.17 HR/9 0.87 WHIP .182 BABIP 77.4 LOB% 3.13 ERA 4.11 FIP

The Yankees heard you: Garcia to bullpen, Phelps to rotation

It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Edited by nyrsuck26

The Yankees heard you: Garcia to bullpen, Phelps to rotation

It'll be interesting to see how he does.

I hope they at least give him a few starts no matter what. I'd imagine there is a bit of an adjustment to go from the long relief role to a starters role, plus he has the added pressure of being a young Yankee.

Hughes should be paying attention to this. When Pettitte is ready to come back, Phelps may have earned the rotation spot over Hughes and Phil will be back in the pen.

I'm not sure how much of chance Mitchell will have to show his stuff but I'm real interested in seeing how he does. The bull pen is where most scouts ultimately think he will end up.

I'm not sure how many of you follow the minor leagues but its something I really enjoy. The Yankees full season A team, Charleston, is loaded with prospects (C - Gary Sanchez, 3B - Dante Bichette, Jr., SS - Cito Culver, 2B - Angelo Gumbs, CI/OF - Tyler Austin, OF - Ben Gamel, and most excitingly OF - Mason Williams). Tyler Austin has been off to a great start and he is someone to keep an eye on as the Yankees will need a corner OF in a few years.

This is his first full year of professional ball. He split 2011 across the Gulf Coast Yankees ® and Staten Island Yankees (A-). His stats are a real small sample size at those respective levels - .390/.438/.622 .517 wOBA in 89 PA with Gulf Coast and .323/.402/.542 .448 wOBA in 112 PA with Staten Island. This year he has continued to show his ability to hit for both contact and power - .364/.390/.870 .540 wOBA, league leading 8 HR in 82 PA with Charleston. Obviously, those numbers will drop off but he has cemented his status as a prospect to follow. He is the 11th ranked prospect in the Yankees organization according to Fangraphs and he can play the four corner positions.

Edited by thefiestygoat

WOW, Mariano Rivera may never pitch again. I am incredibly sad. His career wasn't supposed to end this way. :(

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7888133/mariano-rivera-new-york-yankees-torn-acl-according-manager-joe-girardi

New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi says closer Mariano Rivera has a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, an injury that potentially could end his career.

I'm a Met fan, but I've always appreciated guys like Jeter and Mo. Mo's regular season numbers are impressive enough, but his postseason numbers are just absurd. 141 IP, 86 H, 21 BB (?!), 3 blown saves in 45 opportunities, an 0.70 ERA and a 0.76 WHIP in the playoffs lifetime. That is so incredible, so off-the-charts...simply the best closer ever to play the game, hands down.

I heard about the Rivera injury yesterday, but didn't have enough time to respond. Obviously, I wish him the best recovering, and I hope we will be able to see him pitch again. It would be a tragedy to see such a great career end this way. He's always been one of my favorite Yankees.

That aside, obviously this is a big loss for the team, but I do have faith that Robertson will be a more than competent closer for us. He's certainly done nothing than impress so far in his career. This is really his chance to make it big, and I think he'll sieze.

• 1 month later...

I've been so busy posting about the great playoff run inbetween work and school so I haven't had time for this thread. I'm really looking forward to focusing mainly on baseball now - it is my 2nd favorite sport and the Yankees are the only other team I follow as a die hard fan.

The Yankees are on a nice run right now for a few weeks and tonight's game was a real treat. Coming back from 4-0 down thanks to A-Rod tying Gehrig’s grand slam record at 23, and then Swisher following with a 2 run blast.

Robertson should be back Friday, Joba's rehab is going well so he and Aardsma should be ready later in the year. Good vibes from Yankeeland right now.

There is no official word on Gardner yet but it did come out today that he won't need Tommy John surgery which is great news. Getting him back this year would be a big positive. Despite Cashman saying he isn't going to trade for an OF, I would be surprised if he doesn't make some sort of move with a corner OF spot opening up next year if Swisher doesn't return.

I wouldn't be shocked if 27 year old Cuban OF Ronnier Mustelier gets called up sometime this year. All he's done is hit at every level since joining the Yankees and they obviously liked him enough to send him to fall ball in Arizona last year.