Official 2012 New York Yankees Thread

nyrsuck26

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently there's some legs to a rumor of A-Rod to Miami depending on who you believe

I think the good money is this deal is going to look a lot like the deal that sent Gary Matthews Jr to the Mets. The only other thing I've heard about it was that we may have to take on Heath Bell's contract as part of the takeback, which I think I'd be OK with.

Clearly anything Rodriguez says about trade vetos can't be believed yet. He's as likely to veto any trade as he is to accept any trade, and he can make it all fall apart if he wants.

But depending on how money paid to a traded team counts against the Salary, that would be a blessing if our goal was to keep our current outfield intact for next year and extend Cano.

Apparently there's some legs to a rumor of A-Rod to Miami depending on who you believe

I think the good money is this deal is going to look a lot like the deal that sent Gary Matthews Jr to the Mets. The only other thing I've heard about it was that we may have to take on Heath Bell's contract as part of the takeback, which I think I'd be OK with.

Clearly anything Rodriguez says about trade vetos can't be believed yet. He's as likely to veto any trade as he is to accept any trade, and he can make it all fall apart if he wants.

But depending on how money paid to a traded team counts against the Salary, that would be a blessing if our goal was to keep our current outfield intact for next year and extend Cano.

The outfield next year is Gardner and Granderson. Swisher's gone, and who knows what happens with Ichiro. Maybe take a stab at BJ Upton. Another idea is to trade Arod to the Dodgers for Carl Crawford.

Swisher's slump in the playoffs might have kneecapped his contract value, actually. Lot of chatter that he just cost himself a big deal with his lack of postseason hitting. I can see him returning on a one-year deal for a decent payday to re-up for a big contract year if the market's dry for his services. And I can also see him getting a Jayson Werth offer, too. Really tough to tell right now, all depends on the market. Is there someone desperate enough to make him a large cash offer and call the playoffs an outlier?

Latest rumors on the ARod to Marlins trade say the trade would force us to take back Heath Bell and Mark Buehrle, who are not cheap either. MB is 11, 18, and 19 MM and Bell is 9, 9, and 9 (team option), so if the trade only involved those two, we'd save 8MM year 1 (which is the key year) and essentially fill two holes for one salary. You can probably kiss Garcia & Kuroda goodbye if the trade happens...I'm sure Hiroki is going to look for a raise if he keeps playing.

I'm not sure I want any part of Crawford right now, and additionally don't the Dodgers have Hanley at 3B?

What's a 1 year deal going to do for Swisher? He's proven to be a consistent regular (averaged ~4 fWAR per season over the last three seasons), it's not like he's coming off of a bad year or suspension/injury-shortened year (see: Cabrera, Melky). There's just no incentive for him to sign a deal like that. His age will stop a team from going crazy but he'll probably get 5/70 or more from someone, which is fair value in this market.

The most interesting free agent case will be Josh Hamilton.

Edited by nmigliore

What's a 1 year deal going to do for Swisher? He's proven to be a consistent regular (averaged ~4 fWAR per season over the last three seasons), it's not like he's coming off of a bad year or suspension/injury-shortened year (see: Cabrera, Melky). There's just no incentive for him to sign a deal like that. His age will stop a team from going crazy but he'll probably get 5/70 or more from someone, which is fair value in this market.

The most interesting free agent case will be Josh Hamilton.

I think the Yankees basically don't want Swisher back unless it's a bargain basement deal.

If the Yankees are willing to bend on the $189 million cap, then Hamilton may not be a bad idea, even assuming he has a relapse, which is a real concern if he's playing in New York. I'm sure that there would be something in his contract anyway that he loses his money for drug related suspensions and the like if it's permitted by the CBA, which I'm not sure. My guess though is that Hamilton doesn't want anything to do with the Yankees.

Re Crawford for Arod. Hanley I think is playing SS for the Dodgers and they don't have a great 3B. And I would take a chance on Crawford assuming there isn't something better out there. It's basically a wash money-wise, there will be room for him in the outfield and he's younger than Arod. In other words, you're trading an expensive headache that's over 35 and past his prime, for another expensive headache that still has some upside.

I'm all for an A-Rod salary dump trade depending on how much money the Yankees would be throwing in. At a certain point it would be counterproductive to the 2014 plan if they added in too much. I haven't had a chance to examine it and these numbers won't reflect potential bonuses but I wonder if a 2 bad contracts for 1 bad contract deal with Miami would work:

Bell

2013: $9M

2014: $9M

Total: $18M

Buehrle

2013: $11M

2014: $18M

2015: $19M

Total: $48M

Bell and Buehrle

Total: $66M

2014 AAV: $23M

2014 Salary: $27M

Rodriguez

2013: $28M

2014: $25M

2015: $21M

2016: $20M

2017: $20M

Total: $114M

A-Rod's Contract - Bell and Buehrle = $48M Remainder

I'm just thinking aloud here, I gotta verify how the luxury tax gets calculated but I believe its the average annual value of a contract and not the actual salary per year off the top of my head. My gut feeling is an A-Rod trade will happen but like everything in life in dealing with A-Rod its going to be a long winter of a ton of rumors and drama until something gets done.

Edited by thefiestygoat

For years I've felt like Swisher never got the credit he deserved. Above average on both sides of the ball, he's been really valuable for the Yankees. I wanted them to re-sign him until as of late. Perhaps I am overreacting to way to small of a sample size playoff performances. Perhaps its because I'm upset at the rift between him and the fans. I honestly wouldn't mind if they let him walk in the offseason.

The trouble is I don't see anyone out there that I'd really want to pursue. Josh Hamilton is going to get paid a lot in his mid 30's and despite normal baseball decline, who knows how his body will react on top of that given his past issues with drugs and alcohol. Michael Bourn is barely average offensively and his speed is sure to drop off during his next contract negating his value. I'd also want to avoid B.J. Upton for similar reasons.

I actually would like to see if they could get Ichiro on a 2-3 year deal not worth too much to hold a place for a player like Williams or Heathcott in a few years. Next year I'd have no problem with Gardner in LF (should be CF but for some reason they love Granderson's defense), Granderson in CF, and Ichiro in RF. Then after 2013 let some other team overpay Granderson and use money on Cano.

The Mets are desperate for outfield help but I haven't heard that. They'll probably look to add via trades.

I like Swisher but he's a bad investment for a team in the Mets' position. He's on the wrong side of 30 and would cost the Mets their high 1st round pick, assuming the Yanks make him a qualifying offer. Good player but not a good match for the Mets.

The Mets are desperate for outfield help but I haven't heard that. They'll probably look to add via trades.

I like Swisher but he's a bad investment for a team in the Mets' position. He's on the wrong side of 30 and would cost the Mets their high 1st round pick, assuming the Yanks make him a qualifying offer. Good player but not a good match for the Mets.

Not to mention that the Met fan base will be irate if they signed Swisher, but lost Wright. They tried that with Jason Bay and it exploded in their faces. Alderson's a lot smarter than Minaya, and won't make the same mistake.