Brodeur Article, name dropping where he might want to play, reveals wh

'7'

I don't think DeBoer is being forced to play Brodeur tonight, I really, really don't.  Nothing about how the starts have been split this season suggests that.

DeBoer is obviously off his rocker when it comes to personnel decisions but I really do think the goalie rotation recently has a lot to do with whatever meetings or promises or whatever took place between MB41 and Lou leading up to the deadline.  I never agreed with it but when DeBoer was using wins as justification for playing Brodeur over a guy who was playing far superior hockey based on stats and the eyeball test, I could at least see the other side of the argument.   This just gets crazier by the day.  

why isn't Lou stepping in to stop the insanity then and ordering Pete to play Cory more?

How can he be oblivious to something so obviously wrong (and yes I remember how long he stuck with Odeleins incompetence)

Because Lou believes that there's 2 #1 goalies.  And Brodeur's play lately has not been bad.

I still don't see where Marty came across as presented in this thread.  :noclue:

They didn't mention wanting to play for the Devils. Marty didn't mention wanting to play for the Devils. His two kids didn't mention wanting to play for the Devils.

..fans have come to terms with the fact that he's gone come July 1st.. but please, stop acting like the merry widow anytime\everytime someone sticks a microphone in your face. There's 9 games left in this circus of a season after tonight. Please, for the sake of everyone.. SHUT THE FVCK UP, and go through the motions!

Because Lou believes that there's 2 #1 goalies, and Brodeur's play lately has not been bad.

..yet, that didn't stop them from showing Schneider the bench early on in the season.. when he was losing games, but playing well. The fact is, Cory's on a winning streak and Marty's lost 3 in-a-row.

..yet, that didn't stop them from showing Schneider the bench early on in the season.. when he was losing games, but playing well. The fact is, Cory's on a winning streak and Marty's lost 3 in-a-row.

At no point has Brodeur even had close to a run like Schneider had - he's really never done much but split.  I really think Hanlon's Razor applies here - never attribute to malice what could easily be explained by incompetence.

For many years Marty has been saying comments that were quite egotistical and have many times try to avoid responsibility and point fingers at other players when he should have pointed them at himself.  A lot of those were swept under the rug because he and the rest of the team were winning.  Now that he is no longer winning like he used it and is way past his prime, these comments are now becoming more and more obvious to even his bigger defenders.

This is why I have said before a few times while I appreciate Marty for what he has done for the Devils over the years, he personally is still not even in my personal top 15 or 20 all-time favorite Devils players.

He NEVER takes responsibility.

Stan - "Hey Marty, what happened tonight? You let up 5 goals on 10 shots before they pulled you."

Marty - "Ouh ya know, we just let them have too much space and we didn't do enough in their end..."

NO.

You know what's kinda scary?

Judging from comments on that article, facebook, twitter, etc. lots of Devils fans in general aren't really aware of just how bad Marty has been this year.  I have seen a TON of "bring him back for one more year Lou!" posts.  I mean, I get it that casual fans who aren't watching every game aren't seeing just how truly lousy Marty has been for stretches of this year.. but man last I checked, we root for the New Jersey Devils, not the New Jersey Brodeurs.  Win #700 doesn't trump the franchise's well-being.

I don't envy Lou though, I can tell you that much.  Because if he lets Marty go (which he definitely should) there's probably going to be a ton of backlash from the common fan.  Lose-lose for Lou really, sucks to be him right now.  He either screws the Devils by extending Marty, or becomes common enemy #1 to the average fan when Marty inevitably tells the media after F/A "Oh, ya know I would've loved to stay in Jersey, but I wasn't given an offer...".

Edited by Devilsfan118

I initially defended his honesty, but now it's just bad taste.  Openingly naming other teams he might play for when there's not only 10 games left in this one, but also it's well-known that the Devils will likely have to win 8+ games to squeak in?  At the rate the Devils are going, he'll be able to talk about his future and other teams in just over two weeks.  He can't friggin' wait until then?  Even if you hate it here and have had enough, can you just put a clamp on it until April 13?

+1 But you know what? This is good news for next year. If anything, this interview is A. more of a 'I'm not getting re-seigned by the Devils' statement than ever before and B. more of a 'there is a chance I might retire' statement than ever before.

Why did you remove the link? 

Avery just destroyed Marty on Twitter.

Sean Avery ‏@imseanavery 1h

Embarrassing is when u sleep with the #Nanny and get caught smiles.gif

I hate when this stuff gets posted on the boards. It's like when Marty does something douchy (he did), some posters are willing to really stoop to low personal shots at him. A Devils fan should call Marty an inconsiderate a$$hole for this, but shouldn't go to this level.

By the way, Avery has also been insulting people from New Jersey today, you should post that too.

Edited by Neb00rs

You know what's kinda scary?

Judging from comments on that article, facebook, twitter, etc. lots of Devils fans in general aren't really aware of just how bad Marty has been this year.  I have seen a TON of "bring him back for one more year Lou!" posts.  I mean, I get it that casual fans who aren't watching every game aren't seeing just how truly lousy Marty has been for stretches of this year.. but man last I checked, we root for the New Jersey Devils, not the New Jersey Brodeurs.  Win #700 doesn't trump the franchise's well-being.

I don't envy Lou though, I can tell you that much.  Because if he lets Marty go (which he definitely should) there's probably going to be a ton of backlash from the common fan.  Lose-lose for Lou really, sucks to be him right now.  He either screws the Devils by extending Marty, or becomes common enemy #1 to the average fan when Marty inevitably tells the media after F/A "Oh, ya know I would've loved to stay in Jersey, but I wasn't given an offer...".

I generally have no clue the pulse of your average Devils fan outside of this message board, but the more I have looked around lately with regards to the goalie situation, the more I see the exact same thing. The average fan sees Brodeur as an average goalie and not much difference between him and Schneider. It's pretty sad actually.

A lot of it comes down to the Devils team defense and GAA. Fans see a GAA of 2.51, or the scores that are the accumulation of these stats and don't think much else. They don't really realize how good the team's defense is and how few shots the Devils actually give up. When you give up so few shots, no matter how bad the goalie is...you aren't consistently going to get scored on so much. I think about the Leafs and James Reimer. He has not played well lately, but on the year has not been that atrocious. His save percentage is actually .006 better than Brodeur's (.908 to .902), but because he plays in front of the worst defense in the NHL, Reimer almost gives up a goal more a game (currently at 3.35). Throw Brodeur on most teams around the NHL, and he'd be embarrassed to no end with that save percentage.  Edit: Forgot to add that Reimer has taken the blame for the Leafs collapse.

Yet, so many members of the MSM sight GAA like it means a thing, but around the league, you'll see tons of goalies that stop pucks better, but will give up more goals every night.

Of course, a lot fans just have an unabashed love for Marty.

Edited by devilsrule33

why isn't Lou stepping in to stop the insanity then and ordering Pete to play Cory more?

How can he be oblivious to something so obviously wrong (and yes I remember how long he stuck with Odeleins incompetence)

Because he is not the coach. The minute a GM dictates lineup decisions, he might as well make himself the coach. I am of the belief that Lou provides the players to the coach, and leaves it up to them to figure out how the lines should be set up and what goalie is to play on any given night. Some teams may use a collaborative approach, but I don't get the feeling the devils are run that way.

I generally have no clue the pulse of your average Devils fan outside of this message board, but the more I have looked around lately with regards to the goalie situation, the more I see the exact same thing. The average fan sees Brodeur as an average goalie and not much difference between him and Schneider. It's pretty sad actually.

A lot of it comes down to the Devils team defense and GAA. Fans see a GAA of 2.51, or the scores that are the accumulation of these stats and don't think much else. They don't really realize how good the team's defense is and how few shots the Devils actually give up. When you give up so few shots, no matter how bad the goalie is...you aren't consistently going to get scored on so much. I think about the Leafs and James Reimer. He has not played well lately, but on the year has not been that atrocious. His save percentage is actually .006 better than Brodeur's (.908 to .902), but because he plays in front of the worst defense in the NHL, Reimer almost gives up a goal more a game (currently at 3.35). Throw Brodeur on most teams around the NHL, and he'd be embarrassed to no end with that save percentage.  Edit: Forgot to add that Reimer has taken the blame for the Leafs collapse.

Yet, so many members of the MSM sight GAA like it means a thing, but around the league, you'll see tons of goalies that stop pucks better, but will give up more goals every night.

bold: and why shouldn't they? Why do you look down on this? Some fans have unabashed hate for Marty bordering on ridiculous. 

Edited by Neb00rs

didn't even last 3 damn minutes.

Ottawa's gonna sure pay top dollar for that kinda talent.

This made me lol. 3 minutes bad angle shot. He can't even be unpredictable anymore. I still love Marty but I pray he hangs the up. Not for me or anyone else, but for him. This is no way for him to go out.

This made me lol. 3 minutes bad angle shot. He can't even be unpredictable anymore. I still love Marty but I pray he hangs the up. Not for me or anyone else, but for him. This is no way for him to go out.

I kinda hope he doesn't. It'll be a perfect example of what not to do at the end of your career and a true testament to how he let his personal ego/glory/stats get ahead of the team. Definitely in the minority here but the writing on the wall started showing with the whole "MB30" helmet crap years ago.

Part of the problem is Marty's save % has always been a little low, because of the Devils shot counting, and because of the defenses he played in front of. He used to make huge saves. Just watch video of him in his prime. Now he doesn't, but since we're used to (rightfully) defending him, even when his % hasn't been special, it's weird getting used to the % telling us exactly what kind of goalie he is. Unless you watch him a lot, and especially watch video of him when he was younger, and watch Schnieds get to pucks he doesn't get to anymore, you don't realize how bad he is now.