GDT: ECF Game 5 - NJ Devils @ NY Rangers

ZeroGravityFat

That's the thing. If this was any other team I probably wouldn't be freaking out as much. However the Rags just seem to have the Devils number in the playoffs and I honestly will not be happy until we get that 4th win. The Devils stuck it out and that is certainly something to admire, but once we close this out I will be a world of a lot better.

I turned off the game after the Rags scored the second goal and didn't watch the rest of the game. I just couldn't do it, and might even not even watch game 6 or 7 if it gets that far. Just way too nerve-racking, not to mention that I consumed about 10 cigarettes from 8 to 11 last night.

Why couldn't I have gotten into poetry instead of sports?

We all will be! I have confidence in them. They slayed the beast in Philly, they absorbed the best shot the Rangers have fired upon them, and now have a chance to do something great for themselves and the faithful at the Rock, across the states, and abroad. I hope they're ready.

lol wish I had your patience and optimism. Must be the Coast Guard training lol.

I turned off the game after the Rags scored the second goal and didn't watch the rest of the game. I just couldn't do it, and might even not even watch game 6 or 7 if it gets that far. Just way too nerve-racking, not to mention that I consumed about 10 cigarettes from 8 to 11 last night.

It was def not fun to watch and I would put the feeling of watching last night's game as almost being like watching a beheading.

I remember back in 2000 after the Devils went down 3-1 agains the Flyers I didn't watch more than two minutes of games 5 and 6. I cannot decribe how great it was when they tied up that series and then won game 7 in Philly.

Because poetry doesn't produce that kind of exhilaration? But yeah, like DM84 said, it has to be the stupid Rangers. If this were against any non-Flyer, non-Ranger team, I could watch this series with some measure of 'Hey, they're in the ECF, people didn't expect this, I love playoff hockey'. If the Devils made it to the ECF and lost to the Bruins, say, I think we'd all be on board for that - obviously there'd be missed opportunities and no one would be 'happy', but hey, it was a fun ride. But it has to be the goddamn Rangers. Still, Friday...

• Like 1

Agree with this whole-heartedly...Game 2 alone in this series (coming back from 2-1 at MSG) was impressive in itself. These guys are NOT the same ol' Devils. And yeah, the whole choker and quitter labels get thrown out there way too easily.

I agree with that entirely. I like this team's resiliency and the fact that bad breaks our bouncing our way too

lol wish I had your patience and optimism. Must be the Coast Guard training lol.

No way. If I used the CG in reference to sports, I would be the most pessimistic poster, lol. I'd be on here predicting doom left and right, lol. I like my job for the most part but I am definitely ready to get to my next unit... and out of Florida. I miss me some Jersey.

Anyway, I don't know what it is. I guess I just honestly feel like the Devils are the better team, so I am trying to keep history out of my mind. I mean, even more recent, the Canes debacle... Who is even really left from that? We've endured so much turnover that I just don't think it's relevant, and most historical stats or results are just media driven.

No way. If I used the CG in reference to sports, I would be the most pessimistic poster, lol. I'd be on here predicting doom left and right, lol. I like my job for the most part but I am definitely ready to get to my next unit... and out of Florida. I miss me some Jersey.

Anyway, I don't know what it is. I guess I just honestly feel like the Devils are the better team, so I am trying to keep history out of my mind. I mean, even more recent, the Canes debacle... Who is even really left from that? We've endured so much turnover that I just don't think it's relevant, and most historical stats or results are just media driven.

Thing is, I cannot count how many times we have lost to the Rags and thought the same thing. It's like we have this complex with these guys.

We are in a good position for game 6 Friday and I just want it to be over and done with so I can breathe a little easier and have my blood pressure get back down to normal lol.

I've been saying that all year, and even if people were left from it, was it really a lack of mental toughness that produced that? Athletes who make it to the top have to have an incredible amount of mental toughness to battle through all the obstacles to get there.

The Devils have been the better team and deserve to be up 3-2. They could still lose the series. They could even lose it in heartbreaking fashion. That may very well happen and would be devastating. Regardless, I don't think anyone can doubt the resolve of this team - it seems like there are a lot of guys playing hurt, but they're still out there. Kovalchuk's still going hard on the forecheck despite all his issues. Clarkson seems to barely be able to skate but he's trying his best each time out.

Edited by Triumph

Because poetry doesn't produce that kind of exhilaration? But yeah, like DM84 said, it has to be the stupid Rangers. If this were against any non-Flyer, non-Ranger team, I could watch this series with some measure of 'Hey, they're in the ECF, people didn't expect this, I love playoff hockey'. If the Devils made it to the ECF and lost to the Bruins, say, I think we'd all be on board for that - obviously there'd be missed opportunities and no one would be 'happy', but hey, it was a fun ride. But it has to be the goddamn Rangers. Still, Friday...

For me, I could apply this to the SC Finals as well. If the Devils were to get there, I'd still be less stressed-out than I am right now.

Edited by NJCroMag

Thing is, I cannot count how many times we have lost to the Rags and thought the same thing. It's like we have this complex with these guys.

We are in a good position for game 6 Friday and I just want it to be over and done with so I can breathe a little easier and have my blood pressure get back down to normal lol.

I mean, perhaps as fans we do, but the only other player I could believe might be like that is Marty. The past means nothing to just about anyone on the team. If we were to lose this series, it'd be merely coincidental in my opinion. It'd be awful, and the comparisons the media would come up with would be awful. But I don't think the past has anything to do with it. I think we'll win and make this all moot anyway.

I've been saying that all year, and even if people were left from it, was it really a lack of mental toughness that produced that? Athletes who make it to the top have to have an incredible amount of mental toughness to battle through all the obstacles to get there.

The Devils have been the better team and deserve to be up 3-2. They could still lose the series. They could even lose it in heartbreaking fashion. That may very well happen and would be devastating. Regardless, I don't think anyone can doubt the resolve of this team - it seems like there are a lot of guys playing hurt, but they're still out there. Kovalchuk's still going hard on the forecheck despite all his issues. Clarkson seems to barely be able to skate but he's trying his best each time out.

Definitely. It seems as though we have a few guys playing hurt but they are just playing through all of it, toughing it out. Elias has had it bad this series. Taking pucks & sticks to the face as well as slashes to back of the leg, it was nice to see a break go in his favor last night.

Edited by DevilsFanSteve30

Poetry's fvckin stressful, man.

Most think they can do it, but not everyone can.

• Like 1

For me, I could apply this to the SC Finals as well. If the Devils were to get there, I'd still be less stressed-out than I am right now.

Oh yeah, definitely. I just hope they can win Friday so that way my 'oh-god-I-can-barely-watch-this' quotient would be way down until a possible Game 7 of a Cup Final.

Oh yeah, definitely. I just hope they can win Friday so that way my 'oh-god-I-can-barely-watch-this' quotient would be way down until a possible Game 7 of a Cup Final.

im curious how you think we stand up to the post jack johnson kings according to the numbers if we were to make it

Poetry's fvckin stressful, man.

Most think they can do it, but not everyone can.

Thread Win.

This be the truth.

To his credit, he did come onto his biggest rival's website and made a bold prediction, and didn't back off it.

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with his prediction.

As a new member, I certainly shy away from the board a bit because of the constant can't do attitude.

Our team is 1 game away from reaching the fvcking stanley cup finals. That is SO huge, this is such an exciting time to be a fan.

But it seems day in and day out on this board its nothing but "we suck" "well never do X Y or Z" "the game/series is over were down by a goal"

You have to understand people around here live and die Devils. Sure some posters pretend to be Mr. Positive all the time and others are inexperienced and overly insulting to the team. But the majority of posters who get pissed, say what they say because A. They want this team to win SOOOO bad and B. The last 10 years have been very rough on us. In the end, most posters don't go too far and it's completely fair to be emotional, especially at this time of year. Plus we always have a need to find something to debate on this board - that's why it's the best board on the net - no back patting here.

Edited by ben00rs

The last 10 years have been very rough on us.

I know what you're trying to say here, but have the last 10 years really been that tough on the Devils and their fans? We've made the playoffs every year but 1 during that span. While the teams over the last 9 years cannot compare to the Cup teams of 95, 00, and 03, they really weren't that bad. And if you don't believe me, ask any Islanders, Columbus, or Maple Leafs fan about their experience over the same period to get their perspective.

Damn watching the highlight of Elias goal, i realized how close Elias and Kovy were from an offside lol perfect execution

The guys on NHL Network said it was offsides. I'm not sure what the rule is on this, does the puck have to cross the line or just touch the line? If the puck is coming out of the zone I know it is still onside until it is completely over the line, so does the puck have to completely cross the line one way or the other for it to go from onside to offside or vice versa, or is the blue line always considered onside? :wacko:

Edited by devilsfan26

The guys on NHL Network said it was offsides. I'm not sure what the rule is on this, does the puck have to cross the line or just touch the line? If the puck is coming out of the zone I know it is still onside until it is completely over the line, so does the puck have to completely cross the line one way or the other for it to go from onside to offside or vice versa, or is the blue line always considered onside? :wacko:

I think the puck has to cross the line completely.

EDIT: Oops, no wait, the rulebook says, "A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leading edge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick."

Edited by 95Crash

I know what you're trying to say here, but have the last 10 years really been that tough on the Devils and their fans? We've made the playoffs every year but 1 during that span. While the teams over the last 9 years cannot compare to the Cup teams of 95, 00, and 03, they really weren't that bad. And if you don't believe me, ask any Islanders, Columbus, or Maple Leafs fan about their experience over the same period to get their perspective.

Yes, it maybe hasn't been rougher on almost any other team. It's much harder to believe you are about to win many times and fail then to never succeed at all. As a 49er fan I am in the perfect position to say that, as watching them suck for the last 10 years, while depressing, has been a lot less stressful and wearing than watching them lose to the Packers in the playoffs in the late 90's or watching them lose on stupid mistakes in 2012. And believe me, if the Devils lose this series to the Rangers, it will be a lot more taxing on ya then not making the playoffs at all last year.

It's better to be a good team but it's way rougher when you fail. I lost years of my life from Colorado 01 and Carolina 09.

Edited by ben00rs

Having good teams with great players and see them fall short year after year can be rough. The sense that they're wasting their prime, their career, not achieving what they should etc. It's all relative.

I think the puck has to cross the line completely.

EDIT: Oops, no wait, the rulebook says, "A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leading edge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick."

Ah thanks, I was too lazy to go digging through the rulebook haha. So then yeah I think they made the wrong call on that one.