Saints MEGA Punishment for Bounty Controversy

Aznjsn

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57401680/saints-coach-payton-banned-one-year-for-bounties/?tag=cbsContent;cbsCarousel

Wow, I gotta say this was a hefty punishment, but well deserved. I really had no problem with the Saints organization until this controversy surfaced.

Here's the rundown of penalties:

Coach Sean Payton was suspended without pay for the 2012 season

Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was banned indefinitely

Saints fined $500,000

Forfeit 2nd RD picks in 2011 and 2012

General manager Mickey Loomis suspended for the first eight regular-season games next season

Assistant coach Joe Vitt suspended for the first six games.

And they haven't even doled out any punishment to the players yet. This might just be the start.

Shanaban's Shanahammer ain't got sh!t on The Rog's Ginger Justice.

The players will probably get a slap on the wrist in comparison. The league can impose drastic punishment on coaches because it doesn't have to deal with the union in that instance.

Plus, more than anything, this was about fending off potential lawsuits from ex-players. Suspending or docking pay from players that might sue for something else down the road wouldn't help in that regard.

I agree, put an asterisk* at least, next to their title.

This is a bit ridiculous considering they were doing it before and after the Super Bowl season. You don't think theres been similar things in football? I'd be more surprised if it wasn't going on. Maybe not a sanctioned bounty program by coaches but amongst individual players no doubt and I'm absolutely sure that its happened in baseball (beanings), hockey (goons, Broad St. Bullies, etc), and basketball. Dirty sh!t happens in every professional game. The Saints just got caught.

The right people were punished and I personally hope we never see Payton or Williams again, but an asterisk? No.