Martin Brodeur says he has no desire to be traded

Rock

What exactly would you consider a fair return? We're sure as hell not getting a first round pick for him nor are we going to get a top 4 defender from a team looking for a rental, especially from neither of the teams you mentioned.

If Marty was for it and the return was good, sure, it'd be something to consider, but it's not going to happen. He deserves the right to finish his career here and not go anywhere else if thats what he wants. He's the only player I would even consider giving this weight to.

And no, Marty isnt the Devils, but we certainly don't know the success we have known with him, without, and no one can argue against that. The Prudential Center likely doesn't exist and hell, the team may have been moved without Marty.

Some players are worth more than their ability on the ice/field. We're not the Yankees who sell out even if they're 1-161.

Marty could finish his career here. He'd just be a rental for another team for the playoffs. Look what St. Louis got for Keith Tkachuk:

On February 25, 2007, Tkachuk was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers for Glen Metropolit, a 1st round pick in 2007, a 3rd round pick in 2007 and a 2nd round pick in 2008. On June 26 of the same year, St. Louis reacquired Tkachuk along with a conditional 4th round draft pick for a conditional first round pick in 2008. If Tkachuk had resigned with the Thrashers, the Blues would have had Atlanta's 1st round pick in 2008. Since the Blues acquired exclusive negotiating rights with Tkachuk and resigned him to a two-year deal, Atlanta received a conditional 4th round pick in 2008.

And Marty would have a potential shot at a 4th cup.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Brodeur's big save/weak goal ratio isn't what it usually is.

At the same time, the team has only won 5 games with Brodeur in net and 3 of them were shutouts.

This team isn't good this year.

And Marty's had to play his arse off in each of those games. He's already got a nagging elbow injury. How longs is it going to be until he really f$cks himself up trying to get a win for this team. If that happens he retires as a shell of his former self. We've already seen the past few seasons how burned out he gets during the season with all his starts. If you trade him as a rental he probably has a decrease in starts. It's obvious Lou ain't gonna bother to shore up the defense so why not let him play behind an actual defense insteading potentially injuring himself behind our sh&tty defense.

Marty could finish his career here. He'd just be a rental for another team for the playoffs. Look what St. Louis got for Keith Tkachuk:

On February 25, 2007, Tkachuk was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers for Glen Metropolit, a 1st round pick in 2007, a 3rd round pick in 2007 and a 2nd round pick in 2008. On June 26 of the same year, St. Louis reacquired Tkachuk along with a conditional 4th round draft pick for a conditional first round pick in 2008. If Tkachuk had resigned with the Thrashers, the Blues would have had Atlanta's 1st round pick in 2008. Since the Blues acquired exclusive negotiating rights with Tkachuk and resigned him to a two-year deal, Atlanta received a conditional 4th round pick in 2008.

And Marty would have a potential shot at a 4th cup.

Call it greed, but the thought of Marty's name on a Cup under WASHINGTON CAPITALS or other make it hard to accept. Its also no guarantee he comes back. Say Washington won the Cup with him, its a risk of him staying there as winning is hard to pass up, especially if Lou/JVB decides to really blow this up.

Obviously if a deal like that came along it'd have to be looked at, but in the case of Metropolit, I believe that was an expiring contract, so it was mainly for the draft picks. If rebuilding is our only route, then yea, I'd be fine with Marty being traded like that, however we're not suffering completely. We need to get younger in certain respects and the defense needs to be overhauled, but this same team for the most part was atop the Eastern Conference one year ago.

St. Louis was in a much different position than we are. They had virtually nothing but Tkachuk and the young guys they were developing. I think we have a lot more positives/talent to build off of.

I also believe we assuredly will lose Parise if we go the complete rebuild direction.

Call it greed, but the thought of Marty's name on a Cup under WASHINGTON CAPITALS or other make it hard to accept. Its also no guarantee he comes back. Say Washington won the Cup with him, its a risk of him staying there as winning is hard to pass up, especially if Lou/JVB decides to really blow this up.

Obviously if a deal like that came along it'd have to be looked at, but in the case of Metropolit, I believe that was an expiring contract, so it was mainly for the draft picks. If rebuilding is our only route, then yea, I'd be fine with Marty being traded like that, however we're not suffering completely. We need to get younger in certain respects and the defense needs to be overhauled, but this same team for the most part was atop the Eastern Conference one year ago.

St. Louis was in a much different position than we are. They had virtually nothing but Tkachuk and the young guys they were developing. I think we have a lot more positives/talent to build off of.

I also believe we assuredly will lose Parise if we go the complete rebuild direction.

You bring up some good points, but let's say he goes to Washington and they win the cup. Washington is going to be up against the cap and they have a slew of RFAs and UFAs they'll need to sign over the next two years. Resigning Brodeur at 5.2 mil for 1 more season would be a boneheaded move for them. I imagine we would get a deal as good if not better than the Tkachuk deal with Brodeur. He's got light years more playoff experience than Walt.

such a trade would be at the very least highly unethical.

In what way and for whom? If Marty is okay with it then what's the problem. I believe he has to consent to being moved anyway. It's obvious Marty is a very patient, understanding guy with all the lopsided scores he's had to see at the end of the night. I would have imagined he would have gon all Patrick Roy "trade me now" already, but he's not like that.

Brodeur's big save/weak goal ratio isn't what it usually is.

At the same time, the team has only won 5 games with Brodeur in net and 3 of them were shutouts.

This team isn't good this year.

and in Moose's crazy week, they won three games. in those three wins, he gave up 2 goals. two of the games had to be won in the SO.

it ain't the goalies. to win a game in regulation, the goalie basically has to shut out the opposition. literally. they have 5 regulation wins. 4 are shutouts.

Edited by maxpower

and in Moose's crazy week, they won three games. in those three wins, he gave up 2 goals. two of the games had to be won in the SO.

it ain't the goalies. to win a game in regulation, the goalie basically has to shut out the opposition. literally. they have 5 regulation wins. 4 are shutouts.

Thank you. I just don't understand this talk that Brodeur is allowing all these soft goals. And for arguments sake, let us say that he is. What difference does this make? This team is dead last in scoring and by a wide margin. And they can't defend for sh!t. Ok, maybe we'll lose 3 to 1 instead of 4 -1 or 5 -1. And this changes things how exactly? This team would not be any better with anyone else in net. They're not good enough and are not playing well enough to compete. End of story.

Thank you. I just don't understand this talk that Brodeur is allowing all these soft goals. And for arguments sake, let us say that he is. What difference does this make? This team is dead last in scoring and by a wide margin. And they can't defend for sh!t. Ok, maybe we'll lose 3 to 1 instead of 4 -1 or 5 -1. And this changes things how exactly? This team would not be any better with anyone else in net. They're not good enough and are not playing well enough to compete. End of story.

The team being crappy offensively has nothing to do with examining how the goaltending is doing. In that regard let us just excuse all the crappy offense and defense because of the crappy goaltending?

I am sorry is there a difference losing 5-1 rather than losing 9-1 or 10-1? Please help me understand how a loss isn't a loss, thanks. Is there a possibility that a girl could be only a little bit pregnant rather than pregnant?

A 2-1 loss is like having 1 kid you can't afford. A 9-1 loss like having triplets.

Brodeur is not going anywhere....looks like Fraser could be back next Wednesday vs. the Rangers. Needs more time to practice but could possibly play Sunday vs. Toronto.

Lamoriello on Brodeur: “He’s not going anywhere”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/lamoriello_on_brodeur_hes_not_going_anywhere/

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello put any trade speculation concerning Martin Brodeur to rest today with four simple words.

“He’s not going anywhere,” Lamoriello told me.

Lamoriello didn’t want to even discuss the subject, but after Brodeur was askd about it earlier today—and repeated his desire to remain a Devil for his entire career—I felt compelled to ask him.

“I don’t ever get into those discussions, but no (Brodeur won’t be traded).” Lamoriello said. “We have 50 games left in our season and that’s what we’re focused on right now.”

Wow. Toss that sucker in the depressing stat thread.

it's actually incorrect. :lol: *3* are shutouts. the Buffalo win was an OT shutout. I shoved that in there by mistake and forgot the 2-1 win over the Ducks.

either way. basically, if they give up more than one goal, they're losing.

it's actually incorrect. :lol: *3* are shutouts. the Buffalo win was an OT shutout. I shoved that in there by mistake and forgot the 2-1 win over the Ducks.

either way. basically, if they give up more than one goal, they're losing.

So basically we're playing dead puck era hockey while everyone else is playing post-lockout hockey.

The team being crappy offensively has nothing to do with examining how the goaltending is doing. In that regard let us just excuse all the crappy offense and defense because of the crappy goaltending?

My point is that there is no reason to examine the goaltending. None. Honestly, why are they even a factor anymore? Whether it's Moose, Brodeur, McKenna, it doesn't matter. These guys are not getting anywhere near the support that they need to be successful. They basically have zero room for error. How many other goalies in this league operate under those types of circumstances? If the team were scoring at an NHL level and poor goaltending was losing us games, then yeah, judge all you want. I just don't understand how there is even a thought about the position when EVERYTHING else, save the recent special teams, is wrong with the team.

You can't expect a 37 and 38 year old pair of goalies to carry this team. You just can't and I don't believe the Devils went into this season expecting that either. Like Max said, pretty much the only time this team has been able to win this season is when they post a bagel up or if the goalie plays out of his mind. You can't expect that every game. But this team is so terrible in all three zones, that they need near perfect play from the goalie just to even have a remote chance to win.

Judging any goalie playing for this team is a pure waste in my mind. Out of all the positions on the team, they have received the least help bar none. No defensive or offensive support for the majority of the season.

My point is that there is no reason to examine the goaltending. None. Honestly, why are they even a factor anymore? Whether it's Moose, Brodeur, McKenna, it doesn't matter. These guys are not getting anywhere near the support that they need to be successful. They basically have zero room for error. How many other goalies in this league operate under those types of circumstances? If the team were scoring at an NHL level and poor goaltending was losing us games, then yeah, judge all you want. I just don't understand how there is even a thought about the position when EVERYTHING else, save the recent special teams, is wrong with the team.

So then you're saying it is ok to complain about other parts of the team because they're poor but not the goaltending, which has also been poor?

Hedberg is playing to about his career norms behind this team, Marty is playing way below his career norms. Every player is accountable when they're playing poorly, you don't get let off the hook just because other players are playing poorly too. It's not the defenses or offenses fault the number of behind the goal line goals and unscreened wrist shots from beyond the circles that are going in this season.

It's a whole cycle, and who knows where it starts, but the offense can't trust the defense, the defense can't trust the goalie, the goalie can't trust anyone, so they all play like nervous crap worrying about covering up for other people's mistakes rather than making sure their own play is up to snuff.

Edited by Devils731

So then you're saying it is ok to complain about other parts of the team because they're poor but not the goaltending, which has also been poor?

Hedberg is playing to about his career norms behind this team, Marty is playing way below his career norms. Every player is accountable when they're playing poorly, you don't get let off the hook just because other players are playing poorly too. It's not the defenses or offenses fault the number of behind the goal line goals and unscreened wrist shots from beyond the circles that are going in this season.

It's a whole cycle, and who knows where it starts, but the offense can't trust the defense, the defense can't trust the goalie, the goalie can't trust anyone, so they all play like nervous crap worrying about covering up for other people's mistakes rather than making sure their own play is up to snuff.

Has the goaltending been perfect this year? No it hasn't but I never claimed that it was. But out of the forwards, d-men and goalies, is it not safe to say that the goalies have been the least of this team's problems? I've watched every game this year and there may have been maybe two or three games where I felt if we had better goaltending the team may have been able to win. 6 points. For the most part this team is either scoring way too little or playing so loose in the defensive end for the goalies to even be a factor. We could go back and forth on this but we're still a last place team even if Tim Thomas is playing for us right now. You're absolutely right that it's all a cycle. The offense, defense and goalie all rely on each other. There is no way around that. But to me, the goalies have been the least detrimental when it comes to this team's lack of success.

As for Hedberg playing around his career norm, you have to keep in mind that his career #'s are no where as strong as Marty's. He has managed to maintain a GAA of about 2.20 for 16 season now. It's crazy. Of course the drop is going to be more significant for Marty. Hedberg has also played for some awful defensive teams in the past. This is by far the worst team that Brodeur has ever played behind and it's not even close. He is just not used to being on a team this poor and it's not like he is young anymore. Dude is almost 39. He's lost a step from his younger days, but where is the crime in that? It's supposed to be that way. Maybe 4 or 5 years ago he manages this better but he has not been as bad this year as much as people on this board claim.

Edited by Sickman

“Well, today I want to play another year,” he said. “If you asked me yesterday (laughing). You have a lot of mood swings when you’re not successful, but I definitely am planning on honoring my contract. That will take me through a year after this one and we’ll see where we’re at after that.

Retirement.....then the Goaltending Coach for the Devils.

As a Devils fan, I admire Brodeur for wanting to honor his contract, for not wanting out when the going's rough, and for wanting to end his career as a Devil for life.

But as a Brodeur fan, I wouldn't blame him in the least if he decided to hang 'em up after this season. He has nothing left to prove to anyone. He'll go down in history as one of the best ever.

We've all seen how fast once-great players can age -- sometimes it happens seemingly overnight -- and it ain't pretty. Not saying that Marty has lost it already. No, not at all. He clearly is capable of blanking any team on any given night. But it doesn't take an expert to see that his game is not as sharp as it once was.

And that's not blaming him for the Devils stinker of a season.

I would love to see Marty traded to Montreal for a playoff run... that would be awesome.

it could be the only chance we have to see him get some more hardware.

+1

I am a HUGE Marty fan. He was my first jersey when I was 9 and started going to games. I still have the jersey. Its nasty how many stains and blood thats on it from playing hockey in it and such. I still remember the day my parents got it for me and how excited I was.

I would hate to see Marty go. I would rather see him finish his career here in NJ but if he does come to an agreement with Lou, I would only want to see him up with the Habs. He would have fun there, everyone would appreciate him like this area does Jeter plus more. Hes a god to us who are into hockey but up there he is a god to everyone.

I dont think the Habs would pass him up either because they know how ticket sales would BLAST with Marty on their roster.

Its a tough call. I hate to see him go but at the same time....would it directly effect our orginization and its fan base if Marty left or now that Kovie and Parise are together would it be similar to the situation up in Pitts with Crosby and Malkin?

I'm so sick of hearing people say we should trade Marty. Seriously, anyone who thinks trading Marty is anywhere near a good idea, is not a true Devils fan. If I were Lou, I'd pass on a team offering up every 1st rounder they could give to me in exchange for Marty. Marty has paid his dues and he has earned the right to retire a Devil and he WILL do so. If Marty is traded, I stop rooting for the Devils out of disgust for such mismanagement of the team.

BTW, Marty will never be traded, it's just not gonna happen.