Rumor from Russian hockey writer: Kovy considering staying in KHL

JWomp

man the devils fans used to be cynical of all media sources now you all jump at any bad press like new found sliced bread. the guy is not coming back until there is a real cba to sign that's all. didn't you learn that you can't trust the russian media after all the kings and khl bullsh!t. chill people he'll be here for the camp.

Posted from over on HF

http://rsport.ru/hockey/20130108/638725595.html

Kovalchuk said he is in no hurry to leave the SKA, as he wanted to maintain a good shape. "The official agreement in the NHL yet, so why not play. No doubt I have, some details of the new agreement is being finalized. While there is time, it is necessary to keep yourself in shape, you need to pay tribute to the fans and the club," - said the player.

Hockey player commented on the decision a number of players who have come to the CHL for the lockout, return to the NHL as soon as the NHL announced a preliminary agreement between the league and hockey players."Everyone has his head on his shoulders. I have family in Moscow.'s No hurry," - said Kovalchuk.

It's google translate but I think getting the full quote is much less scintillating than the smaller version on twitter.

It's google translate but I think getting the full quote is much less scintillating than the smaller version on twitter.

Yeah, that's actually a lot more reasonable than the little soundbyte quote. The way Russian translates to English doesn't help ease the nerves either. I guess he's saying what a lot of us are saying. He can stay in game shape, AND show some gratitude to the fans and his team, two birds with one stone. If he were to come back today, he'd be twiddling his thumbs for a few days until camp..

Posted from over on HF

http://rsport.ru/hoc.../638725595.html

He's said basically everything, that he's coming back, that he wants to wait with Datsyuk for the all-star game, if Medvedev says it's okay, all the way to "well, maybe I'll finish the season with SKA". Only thing he said as an absolute is that he knows that SKA can't purchase his Devils contract, implying he'll eventually be back, no matter which solution he comes up with in his confusion.

Oh well, we'll see, if he waits out the all-star game, he will be late for camp, which will only be 4-5 days since we're opening on the road. At best he's just confused and not in any particular rush, at worst he's annoyed about not getting his entire salary this year so he's gonna make people wait out of spite.

He's said alot of things. People can say what they want about Ovechkin but he's the only one of the guys Brooks listed that left, and he's back with his team. Datsyuk is still with SKA too.

Datsyuk did not play for CSKA Moscow today, pretty sure he left or is leaving.

Is there a part of the NJD management/ownership that might actually HOPE that Kovy stays in Russia?

- potential voiding of $83 million remaining on Kovy's albatross of a contract

- cap space out the wazoo to rebuild, very flexible roster positions

- helps ownership with cash flow & future debt

Not saying it would ever happen, but it has to be in the back of the minds of JVB/Lou.

Datsyuk did not play for CSKA Moscow today, pretty sure he left or is leaving.

Kovalchuk was quoted out of his presser that he and Datsyuk were hanging around waiting to get cleared by Medvedev to play in the all-star game. Who knows, maybe Pavel left him holding the bag. LOL

My anger would be through the roof if A) Kovy left and B) The Devils STILL got left holding the bag cap-wise for the next thirteen years after getting a double punishment for one contract. It's one thing for players and owners not to care about the fans, but to actively spit on us in every way possible might be 'my' breaking point with this league.

Kovy can't mess around too much longer, I don't care who he's trying to make happy in Russia. NHL fans are PISSED at this lockout. He had finally gotten almost everyone off his back, and the Devil players had pretty much succeded in not ticking anyone off further - until now.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Is there a part of the NJD management/ownership that might actually HOPE that Kovy stays in Russia?

Not saying it would ever happen, but it has to be in the back of the minds of JVB/Lou.

They gave him that contract two years ago. Now they want it voided after Kovy helped lead the team to the SCF AND Vanderbeek's in a better financial position? Not bloody likely. About as likely as the stupid buyout nonsense.

My anger would be through the roof if A) Kovy left and B) The Devils STILL got left holding the bag cap-wise for the next thirteen years after getting a double punishment for one contract. It's one thing for players and owners not to care about the fans, but to actively spit on us in every way possible might be 'my' breaking point with this league.

Kovy can't mess around too much longer, I don't care who he's trying to make happy in Russia. NHL fans are PISSED at this lockout. He had finally gotten almost everyone off his back, and the Devil players had pretty much succeded in not ticking anyone off further - until now.

Well, their silence for the most part during the lockout would make me think the players themselves would not be too happy with him, if he just waltzes in whenever he feels like it.

We'd be terrible without Kovy. Losing Zach and Kovy in their prime could potentially be the biggest void to fill ever created in the history of hockey.

We'd be terrible without Kovy. Losing Zach and Kovy in their prime could potentially be the biggest void to fill ever created in the history of hockey.

Yeah, I call bullsh!t on this one. Both that the Devils would be terrible and that teams haven't done worse in losing players in a short span of time.

Technically, 2003-04 was our last year with both Stevens and Niedermayer (though Stevens went down mid-way through the season and Nieds wasn't really gone until after the lockout). I'd say that's the biggest void this franchise ever got left with in one blow.

I expect Kovalchuk to return to New Jersey when the CBA gets ratified. However, I wouldn't hold anything against him if he wanted to finish out the year with SKA. He's captain of the best team in the league and there is the family factor. Also game 7 of the Gagarin Cup was on April 25 last year so he could finish the season there and return for NJ's playoff run. Of course there would have to be some sort of agreement/breaking of an agreement to allow him to play once there once the NHL's CBA is ratified. I really doubt he stays in the KHL past this week though...

I wouldn't expect this to happen but I really don't think it's that crazy of an option. It's nothing against Kovalchuk but it would clear a potentially huge headache down the road if they could get out of the deal. Sure it would hurt in the short term but it would give the franchise a clean slate to build with.

I expect Kovalchuk to return to New Jersey when the CBA gets ratified. However, I wouldn't hold anything against him if he wanted to finish out the year with SKA. He's captain of the best team in the league and there is the family factor. Also game 7 of the Gagarin Cup was on April 25 last year so he could finish the season there and return for NJ's playoff run. Of course there would have to be some sort of agreement/breaking of an agreement to allow him to play once there once the NHL's CBA is ratified. I really doubt he stays in the KHL past this week though...

I wouldn't expect this to happen but I really don't think it's that crazy of an option. It's nothing against Kovalchuk but it would clear a potentially huge headache down the road if they could get out of the deal. Sure it would hurt in the short term but it would give the franchise a clean slate to build with.

Like fvck he could come back here in late March/early April after the other season is over. You go, you stay gone. The Devils bent over backwards for him and put themselves into a bad spot, that may now be two bad spots, and had absolutely nothing to do with anything that transpired with the lockout. Hell, I wasn't even sure we had an owner until JVB sent out that email. They had next to no presence on either side.

He reports before the season starts, or it's over. Of course I don't run the team, but that's my feeling on it. Then he can go suck on the oil money because he can never get that contract in the NHL again. Just hope he doesn't piss the wrong person off while he's over there.

If that's his attitude, that he thinks he can play out the season and then come back, it's not going to fly. Won't fly with the fans, won't fly with the team office, won't fly with the guys in the room, some of which make peanuts by comparison and lost almost half of their peanuts for this season.