NJ Devils officialy offers a contract to Saku Koivu

SS-SS

yea where are they going, pango pango? the devils have 44.3 committed in 2010-11 to 14 players. martin's walking if we sign koivu for more than a year. there is no way vanderbeek is letting lou stash more than one contract in the minors. and few teams have spots available to just hide contracts.

[obligatory comment about how zubrus is only overpaid by $1 million and is irreplaceable given the devils' current situation]

I'm not sure where Pango, Pango is, or what there formal team name is, but I can already attest to:

1.) There GM knows more than ours

2.) There goalie is much more clutch than ours

3.) The don't have the "standards of excellence, and tradition of winning" that has been magically bestowed on NJ

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea where are they going, pango pango? the devils have 44.3 committed in 2010-11 to 14 players. martin's walking if we sign koivu for more than a year. there is no way vanderbeek is letting lou stash more than one contract in the minors. and few teams have spots available to just hide contracts.

[obligatory comment about how zubrus is only overpaid by $1 million and is irreplaceable given the devils' current situation]

Salvador and Zubrus could be traded and Pandolfo would have to be waived. Koivu isn't really worth tapdancing around the cap, but it could be done. Anyway, Lou isn't going to sign Koivu at the expense of Martin.

Salvador and Zubrus could be traded and Pandolfo would have to be waived. Koivu isn't really worth tapdancing around the cap, but it could be done. Anyway, Lou isn't going to sign Koivu at the expense of Martin.

my point is that there is nowhere to trade these guys unless we are also packaging assets along with them (e.g. salvador and zharkov for a phoenix 7th). if the salary cap goes down next year many teams are screwed, there's others who are close to screwed, there's toronto, and then there's the teams too broke to take on more contracts beyond what they've got on their plate.

Brian Pothier makes $2.5 million. Mike Van Ryn makes $2.9. Jim Vandermeer 2.3....Jason Smith 2.6...Ward 2.5. I think some team could take him in a year or two without the Devils having to give up a prospect.

Although...the more I think of this contract...the more I realize how bad it is. I didn't know Bryce was 33 already. Lou really had an ugly off-season last year.

Lou mentioned at the draft that Josefson may be ready to rock as early as next year. I agree to try to sign koivu to a one year contract but saku wants more security than that. I think he'll make an immediate contribution between elias/bergfors.

a legitimate shot at the cup?

It's pretty widely accepted here that this team is 'being built for the future'. We're saving up to sign our own players in a few years. We can't possibly sign koivu for more than one year, and, just looking at all 30 teams for this one season, the devils aren't going to be at the top of the list to win the cup. if he was to sign a one year deal with a team hoping to win the cup, it wouldn't be with NJ. this isn't a team built for 'right now'.

Edited by metallidevils

We cannot have Koivu for more than a year for 2 reasons. One is the cap which has been covered a few times. The second I haven't seen talked about yet is Koivu blocking Josefson and Cormier next year and the following years. All signs point to Cormier, Josefson, and Tedenby being ready to make an impact by 2011. I would hate to see these guys blocked by our dead weight.

I don't think that this would be the main problem with signing Saku, as there are ways to move him and get his money off the cap. If his body holds up, we could trade him to a team in desperate need of a center when a guy like Josefson is ready to step in. Additionally, if Saku runs into injuries problems, we could probably hide him well enough with LTIR, Lowell, and possible retirement. Obviously we don't want a guy in the minors making too much, but if JV is prepared to eat the potential salary we could hide Saku if necessary.

i can't believe you think that's a thoughtful post. if the devils sign koivu they're a pretty good team for this year and certainly have a chance at the stanley cup

If a player is going to sign a 1 year deal for a chance to win the cup, I don't think he'd do it if he thought that he was the 'missing piece'. a one year cup-seeking deal is when a player goes to a team that he actually thinks already can win the cup, and he goes along for the ride. I don't think at this point in his career that Koivu is good enough by himself to cross a team over from a noncontender (or, a playoff maker but not a good shot at a cup run) to a legit contender, but you may value koivu more highly than that

If a player is going to sign a 1 year deal for a chance to win the cup, I don't think he'd do it if he thought that he was the 'missing piece'. a one year cup-seeking deal is when a player goes to a team that he actually thinks already can win the cup, and he goes along for the ride. I don't think at this point in his career that Koivu is good enough by himself to cross a team over from a noncontender (or, a playoff maker but not a good shot at a cup run) to a legit contender, but you may value koivu more highly than that

it's not that i value koivu so highly, it's that he gives the devils 3 pretty damn good forward lines if he joins up.

pzl

elias-koivu-clarkson

rolston-zubrus-bergfors

hard to argue with that. it most certainly gives the devils a chance.

It's pretty widely accepted here that this team is 'being built for the future'. We're saving up to sign our own players in a few years. We can't possibly sign koivu for more than one year, and, just looking at all 30 teams for this one season, the devils aren't going to be at the top of the list to win the cup. if he was to sign a one year deal with a team hoping to win the cup, it wouldn't be with NJ. this isn't a team built for 'right now'.

I don't see why a cup contender last season goes to a team rebuilding for the future when Madden, Rupp, and Gionta move on. Together Madden and Rupp had a -9 plus/minus. We may feel a little at loss by Gionta's offensive abilty. But if Koivu were signed here, I don't see why this team wouldn't be a cup contender. Even without signing a guy like Koivu, we could have a good shot, but its a bit unpredictable how the youth on the team will play in the NHL.

I don't see why a cup contender last season goes to a team rebuilding for the future when Madden, Rupp, and Gionta move on. Together Madden and Rupp had a -9 plus/minus. We may feel a little at loss by Gionta's offensive abilty. But if Koivu were signed here, I don't see why this team wouldn't be a cup contender. Even without signing a guy like Koivu, we could have a good shot, but its a bit unpredictable how the youth on the team will play in the NHL.

+1

Also we Still have Brodeur... who knows maybe towards the end of the playoffs last year he was feeling it still in his elbow.

why would he want to play in nj?

We have good pizza.

+1

Gionta, Madden and Rupp combined for 30 goals last year. The last time Rolston played a full, healthy season, he scored 31. I'm not saying a healthy Rolston will singlehandedly replace these three guys, but these three departures don't really create a giant statistical void and Rolston will certainly put up more than the 15 he scored last year if he stays healthy and isn't stuck with stone-handed linemates again. Throw in reasonable estimates for Bergfors and whatever other youngins make the squad and we really aren't in bad shape.

Adding Koivu would just be monkeyshine.